Afrihost - Pure Fibre Feedback Thread

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Yeah everything pegging here, afrihost mobile, fibre connection, just...yeah. Bad connection. Somethings up...well down.
Hi bradza, all those services would be affected by the undersea cable fault, specifically international traffic. We haven't received any concrete feedback on when this will be resolved. Does it get worse at specific times?

bradza

Hi bradza, all those services would be affected by the undersea cable fault, specifically international traffic. We haven't received any concrete feedback on when this will be resolved. Does it get worse at specific times?
On the phone it seems to be depending on area, while traveling, the mobile connection is almost non-existent. On the fibre, its hit and miss, streaming and browsing giving issues, haven't been able to get down to a specific time as such. Most likely a range of issues, local cell tower problems, routing, submarine etc. Looking forward to the cables working again soon. Thanks.

dotcat

As WACS is now fixed - what is the plan to transition back over? @AfriMan

WACS S4 UK Break: The SA NREN WACS connectivity restored at 22h20 UTC and has been stable for the past 2 hours. We are awaiting confirmation that this is the final fix.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Telkom Transit has not switched back yet but at least Seacom has so for now it seems good to go.

eosman

Which area and infrastructure provider you on.

Got an email from Afrihost the West Rand break is causing my issues. Vuma Aerial 2AA4211E-0205-4EB4-8462-23ED8CB0AACB.jpeg

svenh

20Mbps on FF is down to 1Mbps. I see the ping to London is more or less normal but the speed is tanked

Gekco

Expert Member
I waited from 16 JULY 2019 to have fibre installed, although the cables and boxes had been laid previously to that. On Wednesday last week the VUMATEL installers finally did the installation from the grey box outside. Since then the fibre has not been working, apparently (according to Afrihost), because VUMATEL has not provisioned the line yet. Despite daily calls to Afrihost Support (with holding times of 17-20 minutes in general), logging numerous support issues and emails, the issue has still not been resolved. Am I going to have to wait another 7 months or longer for the line to be operational?

eosman

Early hours of the morning.

I’m getting good speeds again. Logic tells me that a fibre break issue shouldn’t be time specific unless I’m mistaken here.

So either the issue is fixed now? Or the fibre break on the West Rand is not actually the problem and the Fibre Support team are piggy backing off that issue for all speed related calls without actually investigating if there’s a different issue on Vumatel’s network.

Just last week we had an issue that didn’t exist until it was fixed.