Afrihost - Pure Fibre Feedback Thread

Hype

I get same ms in wow to EU servers as a US server don't know what is wrong.
Sadly same thing here, then you get the usual scripted replies. Nothing is wrong, check your FNO, Are you using a wired connection ... their intl routing is absolute rubbish of late. Getting any help is more unreliable than eskoms power grid. Cant blame broken cables now, Cool Ideas are getting proper pings to EU, while we sitting at 230+

WaltonsZA

Yes on wired connection. I know it is not only me because friend that is with Afrihost on TT connect and I am Vuma are having same problem of 240ms+ to EU, while others are sitting on line 160-170ms.

Hype

Yes on wired connection. I know it is not only me because friend that is with Afrihost on TT connect and I am Vuma are having same problem of 240ms+ to EU, while others are sitting on line 160-170ms.
I am now using my phone as a hotspot and thats a trillion times better, sad are the days that lte is better than fibre ...

VegOtter

Sigh, @AfriMan @AfriFella and @AfriGuy

So 3-4 days now, no response and PUBG latency is still absolute rubbish. Is this a permanent thing or are you guys actually going to do something about it. It seems like it affects any gaming service hosted on AWS.

And magically a few hours later when myself and probably most everyone else are going to bed, it magically fixes itself. This instability is just not ayoba.
If this keeps up then the next move is obvious...

Attachments

• PUBG ping.jpg
    PUBG ping.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 26

topdog

@AfriMan, @AfriFella, @AfriGuy Am getting <= 20Mbps on a 200Mbps line.

Your support people insist on going round in circles asking me the most novice of questions. Can you please get someone more knowledgeable to look at my support ticket #HTJ-707-90675
@AfriMan, @AfriFella, @AfriGuy 4 days and counting with no response from you.

Your support is still giving me the same bs answers. The latest is:

I studied the traceroutes and I found that this high latency occurs outside of our network and unfortunately we do not have any control of the routers that are outside our network. These ping rates are high because the servers are overseas and these rates are expected.

Are your support people for real ? Am i supposed to smile and go on with 5% of line speed
for international ?

9067379788.png

Loppas

@topdog

It looks like a fibre network/line issue that you have there with that speed and not AH, but it is terrible support if they haven't responded to you in 4 days about it.

Phinix

Expert Member
I see the ping to EU servers has gone from 170ms to 230ms for the whole day.
A great network you have here AH.

cavedog

Honorary Master

normally 170ms on AH

What game is that if I may ask?

Yes Telkom transit hands over to Cogent and then it goes to Telia so that is likely their network. There is something broken on that link that is out of Afrihost control. You will likely find that using a VPN will fix the issue and that would be because they use a different transit provider than Cogent so the traffic travels a different path than the current one. Does not mean that the issue is on Telkom or Afrihost side though. If Telkom maybe used telia direct or another path it might be fixed. Something likely broke hence this new routing.

General EU routing is pretty good currently with 165ms to London stable and 185ms to Amsterdam. Maybe not the best to Amsterdam but reasonable.

eu_afrihost.png

Pho3nix

The Legend
Having a bit of an issue with my locally hosted email addresses. Seems I can only connect to it when I’m on a VPN.

Anyone else having the same issues?

ShakeelH

Yes Telkom transit hands over to Cogent and then it goes to Telia so that is likely their network. There is something broken on that link that is out of Afrihost control. You will likely find that using a VPN will fix the issue and that would be because they use a different transit provider than Cogent so the traffic travels a different path than the current one. Does not mean that the issue is on Telkom or Afrihost side though. If Telkom maybe used telia direct or another path it might be fixed. Something likely broke hence this new routing.

General EU routing is pretty good currently with 165ms to London stable and 185ms to Amsterdam. Maybe not the best to Amsterdam but reasonable.

View attachment 792137
What VPN do you recommend and which route?

cavedog

Honorary Master
What VPN do you recommend and which route?

Well you can't go wrong with Cloudflare Warp. It's free. They have local peering points and they usually have the best routing because they have a ton of money. That said any VPN should do and if you want to be 100% sure then any VPN that has a server in London and in LINX.

Cloudflare Warp
cloudflare_warp.png

Phinix

Expert Member

View attachment 792137
It's Final Fantasy 14.
It's at 160/170 on vox, which is what it was with AH.
And yea i always run a vpn for this game specifically as it helps with packet loss that occurs without it.