Afrihost - Pure Fibre Feedback Thread

OCP

Expert Member
Any reason why the only 2 staff members we have on AH are unable to VPN to the office?
(both on uncapped/unshaped fibre)

Got them both a 4G modem/router and now VPN working perfectly with exactly the same hardware........

edit: make that 3 users; just had another call from a user to say VPN is not working; guess who the fibre service provider is :-(

Last edited:

Naks

Executive Member
Ah beautiful. Afrihost is still stuffed for my Pure Fibre, but Windscribe's Afrihost location is performing great suddenly.
So there is capacity, just not for residential users.
@Bryn How are you getting 194m to London? I just setup Windscribe, and the speeds are almost the same as without...

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
@Bryn How are you getting 194m to London? I just setup Windscribe, and the speeds are almost the same as without...
Depends on many factors. Which app you're using to connect, which Windscribe server you're using, what router you have and how it is set up, what fibre network you use etc. Also make sure you aren't using a free Windscribe account or you'll be connecting internationally and not to any local server.

I've changed settings a few times to get optimal results, but currently I'm using the Chrome extension in my Edge browser and connecting with the District/Afrihost server.

Naks

Executive Member
Depends on many factors. Which app you're using to connect, which Windscribe server you're using, what router you have and how it is set up, what fibre network you use etc. Also make sure you aren't using a free Windscribe account or you'll be connecting internationally and not to any local server.
I've changed settings a few times to get optimal results, but currently I'm using the Chrome extension in my Edge browser and connecting with the District/Afrihost server.

I'm using the Windscribe Windows app, and connecting to the South Africa District server as well. I'm on Frogfoot 100/100.

At least with Windscribe ON, WoW is playable because the latency is stable.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I'm using the Windscribe Windows app, and connecting to the South Africa District server as well. I'm on Frogfoot 100/100.

At least with Windscribe ON, WoW is playable because the latency is stable.
Easiest solution: play Doom Eternal instead.

alex augustus

Any reason why the only 2 staff members we have on AH are unable to VPN to the office?

Got them both a 4G modem/router and now VPN working perfectly with exactly the same hardware........

edit: make that 3 users; just had another call from a user to say VPN is not working; guess who the fibre service provider is :-(
Odd, I am able to VPN into our office without any problem. Who’s your ISP at your office?

From your office VPN server can you see any kind of attempts from the VPN users perhaps?

OCP

Expert Member
Odd, I am able to VPN into our office without any problem. Who’s your ISP at your office?

From your office VPN server can you see any kind of attempts from the VPN users perhaps?
We have 2 loca fibre connections, primary with MTNNS and backup with Frogfoot + Singtel in SG.
None of the other 50+ users have any problems connecting to either of the 3 VPN's; on AH not able to connect to either.
Logs shows no connection attempts so the traffic is not even hitting the FW.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
> 50 gb download
> 2 mbps
bruh, I don't know how to tell you this...
A $2 Windscribe account can restore international download speed, assuming Steam downloads aren't cached locally.

50GB/20MBps/60sec = a 41.6 minute download if you have a 200Mbps connection.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member

The only way to find out is to do a wireshark on a working and non-working connection and compare. As that is going to be difficult, I suspect you won't know the answer.

Reactions: OCP

OCP

Expert Member
The only way to find out is to do a wireshark on a working and non-working connection and compare. As that is going to be difficult, I suspect you won't know the answer.
Between our 50+ staff they cover all the ISP's from VOX to MWEB and even Telkom does not have this issue; only AH.
We logged this issue for 2 of my staff on Thursday; have yet to receive any response from AH support (email or whatsapp)
Not going to waste any time troubleshooting this - will be less frustrating and easier to change 3 users to another ISP.

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator

Might be an MTU problem. Which FNO?

jacoduplooy

I have just tested the switch to alternate route (Seacom I presume?), and it sucks. Openserve's test account works perfectly.

Franna

Expert Member
Also have a client with the VPN connection to local Telkom fibre host issue. Please investigate AFRIHOST!

AfriFella

Afrihost
Company Rep
My connection just went for a ball of sh*t, even local, can barely manage 2mbps. Is it just me?

Edit: local's fine again - international completely borked.
Warp Plus

Hey guys.
Two of the undersea cables (WACS and SAT3) have suffered breaks.We’re working together with our suppliers to secure an alternate international path ASAP. We understand that you need your internet now more than ever. This is our top priority.Thanks for your patience.

AfriFella

Afrihost
Company Rep
Thank you Afrihost
This must be the magic you punted!

Ping: 9ms
Download: 0.59Mbps
Upload: 0.67Mbps
Hey David101. Two of the undersea cables (WACS and SAT3) have suffered breaks. We’re working together with our suppliers to secure an alternate international path ASAP. We understand that you need your internet now more than ever. This is our top priority. Thanks for your patience.

AfriFella

Afrihost
Company Rep
Also have a client with the VPN connection to local Telkom fibre host issue. Please investigate AFRIHOST!
Hey Franna.
Two of the undersea cables (WACS and SAT3) have suffered breaks. We’re working together with our suppliers to secure an alternate international path ASAP. We understand that you need your internet now more than ever. This is our top priority. Thanks for your patience.

AfriFella

Afrihost
Company Rep
I think international traffic is taking a beating at the moment. This is my current speeds on a 100/50 connection on Openserve in Durban.

I haven't tried a VPN yet, will try that later.

View attachment 807755
Hey VegOtter,
Two of the undersea cables (WACS and SAT3) have suffered breaks.We’re working together with our suppliers to secure an alternate international path ASAP.We understand that you need your internet now more than ever. This is our top priority.Thanks for your patience.

AfriFella

Afrihost
Company Rep
I cancelled mine already. Should be released at the end of this month.
Hey PeterPan420, I understand that your experience with us has been poor and I am so sorry about that.
Two of the undersea cables (WACS and SAT3) have suffered breaks.We’re working together with our suppliers to secure an alternate international path ASAP.We understand that you need your internet now more than ever. This is our top priority.Thanks for your patience