Afrihost - Pure Fibre Feedback Thread

SlowInternet

Executive Member
I'm done with my current ISP and Vumatel being down for hours/days on end twice a month now.

How fast does Openserve do installations and if I order now will I be prorated for the month?

If I cancel with my current ISP now it will come into effect the 1st of next month.
I think I might have been lucky.

Placed my order on a Sunday afternoon after 4pm on Afrihost website and on Monday morning after 10am Openserve installed my fibre and activated it within like 45 minutes.

At the moment I have 2 fibre lines because of the notice month on the previous fibre line but I must say I'm impressed with Afrihost and Openserve.

Soul Assassin

Honorary Master
The range on the AX3 isn't the best but if you're right next to it it flies, I'm getting 770Mbps in the room with the router.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Company Rep
Hi,

Please note there is a suspected outage with Vuma Aerial in JHB.

We are experiencing very high support requests currently on all our channels. The team and myself is working to get to everyone asap.

Cactus

Expert Member
Shoutout to Afrinatic. :laugh:

Our church struggled to get fibre for months through MFN/Webafrica as a church is not a house and MFN had issues. I took a shot applying via Afrihost on Monday. Tomorrow 09:00 is installation :love:

The guy makes magic happen!

Soul Assassin

Honorary Master
I was worried but the Openserve fibre stayed connected the entire loadshedding. I had a fear it would disconnect after ~60 minutes like the VDSL did back in the day.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
It may be something Afrihost has zero control over, but is there any chance you guys can look into the atrocious download speeds for Xbox? Switch and PS5 easily get 400+Mbps when wired, but Series X is mostly <100Mbps.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Company Rep
It may be something Afrihost has zero control over, but is there any chance you guys can look into the atrocious download speeds for Xbox? Switch and PS5 easily get 400+Mbps when wired, but Series X is mostly <100Mbps.

Hi,

We peer with all content providers locally where available. In certain cases the download speed is out of our control.

I have an xbox one s and the download speeds seem good on my line.

If a line has any form of loss the tcp window size gets adjusted by the console automatically to slow speeds down. This might also be an issue. Did you do a trace route to see if there is any loss?

Naks

Executive Member
@AfriNatic Getting a ton of lag tonight while playing WoW, is there something going on with Frogfoot/Stellenbosch?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Company Rep
@AfriNatic Getting a ton of lag tonight while playing WoW, is there something going on with Frogfoot/Stellenbosch?

Morning,

Sorry for the late reply.

There was an outage that was resolved around 22:00 last night.

Outage Status: New

Outage title: Outage | CPT | Regional | Degraded
Service Type: FTTH | FTTB
Outage ref (solid): FRG2966109
Impact start time: 2022-06-26 17:00
Impact: Degraded

Outage Update
2022-06-26

-- Logged to the ME Tean
-- ME and IP Core are actively troubleshooting

kerbero

Last night between 20h and 22h my frogfoot/afrihost was so slow that I couldn't load twitter.

Currently Frogfoot is completely down AGAIN!

Welgevonden/Stellenbosch

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Company Rep
Last night between 20h and 22h my frogfoot/afrihost was so slow that I couldn't load twitter.

Welgevonden/Stellenbosch

Hi,

We haven't received an outage notification yet.

Can you drop me a pm with your email so I can have a look for you?

Pho3nix

The Legend
It may be something Afrihost has zero control over, but is there any chance you guys can look into the atrocious download speeds for Xbox? Switch and PS5 easily get 400+Mbps when wired, but Series X is mostly QUOTE]

Happens the world over. MS throttles the servers it looks like

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Company Rep

Welgevonden/Stellenbosch

Hi,

Just posting here for other clients to also see.

New Outage

Outage title: Outage | CPT | Welgevonden | OLT1 | Down
Service Type: FTTH
Outage ref (solid): FRG2966946
Impact start time: 2022-06-27 10:08
Impact: Down

Outage Update
2022-06-27
-- Logged to FF Maintenance and ME

kerbero

Frogfoot fibre outages have been happening a lot recently, and every time I need to buy expensive prepaid mobile data just to be able to continue working.

Is there a way Afrihost can offer a service where they provide free Air Mobile Prepaid (MTN LTE) fallback when one's fibre network is offline? Not sure about the logistics, but maybe refunding recharges or data used during outages?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Company Rep
Frogfoot fibre outages have been happening a lot recently, and every time I need to buy expensive prepaid mobile data just to be able to continue working.

Is there a way Afrihost can offer a service where they provide free Air Mobile Prepaid (MTN LTE) fallback when one's fibre network is offline? Not sure about the logistics, but maybe refunding recharges or data used during outages?

We are in testing phase now for a MTN fall back solution that would fall back on MTN Fixed LTE once the fibre goes down. We are testing it with staff currently and once the offer becomes available I can share more details about how it will work and if/or how it will be charged.

For now Afrihost clients can still get 1GB free mobile data via Air Mobile prepaid. It's not a lot but it can help when an outage occurs.

Last edited:

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Company Rep
Please note the below outage logged for Frogfoot.

New Outage:

Outage title: Outage | CPT | Partial | Degraded and Intermittent Services
Outage ref (solid): FRG2967175
Service Type: FTTH
Impact start time: 2022-06-27 10:00
Impact: Down

Outage Update:
-- Logged to FF ME Team

JOEY_8

I’m not an expert with MTR but this is what I am getting via an Ethernet cable. The reason I am checking is since I am getting a lot of instability via Ethernet.

Any idea what is going on here?

Attachments

• 43CE86F5-1108-4E52-9201-41A1360DA1D1.jpeg
    43CE86F5-1108-4E52-9201-41A1360DA1D1.jpeg
    537.5 KB · Views: 24

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Company Rep
I’m not an expert with MTR but this is what I am getting via an Ethernet cable.

Any idea what is going on here?

Hi,

The latency to the router is quite high. It could just have carried through because of loss somewhere else but it would be best to retest connected directly to the ONT/CPE to completly rule out a router issue.

JOEY_8

Hi,

The latency to the router is quite high. It could just have carried through because of loss somewhere else but it would be best to retest connected directly to the ONT/CPE to completly rule out a router issue.
I’m thinking it is an issue with my Ethernet cable. This is what I am getting over WiFi. Is this looking better?

Attachments

• F8C7D56D-9C57-4D45-8881-A297CCAAB6F5.jpeg
    F8C7D56D-9C57-4D45-8881-A297CCAAB6F5.jpeg
    416 KB · Views: 26