Afrihost - Pure Fibre Feedback Thread

wingnut771

Honorary Master
I’m not an expert with MTR but this is what I am getting via an Ethernet cable. The reason I am checking is since I am getting a lot of instability via Ethernet.

Any idea what is going on here?
5% loss on your router. Switch it off and on again, make sure you're not testing with wifi.

JOEY_8

Here is what I see when connected directly to the CPE. No losses so is this looking good?

Attachments

• 17AC39F5-214D-4CC0-BFCB-4FE3B3168D69.jpeg
    17AC39F5-214D-4CC0-BFCB-4FE3B3168D69.jpeg
    348.1 KB · Views: 30

JOEY_8

Looks okayish. Is this wifi? Does it feel better?
This is via an Ethernet cable from the Raycore CPE to the laptop.

To add more context, the only thing I’ve had issues with is zoom and the EZVIZ cctv cameras. It randomly becomes unstable during the day. This isn’t my home connection so I don’t use it much.

We had Vumatel move the CPE from one location to another. They got britelink to move it a few weeks ago. We have a brand new Huawei router from AH too so it’s odd that it’s doing this.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
This is via an Ethernet cable from the Raycore CPE to the laptop.

To add more context, the only thing I’ve had issues with is zoom and the EZVIZ cctv cameras. It randomly becomes unstable during the day. This isn’t my home connection so I don’t use it much.

We had Vumatel move the CPE from one location to another. They got britelink to move it a few weeks ago. We have a brand new Huawei router from AH too so it’s odd that it’s doing this.
Can you try another cable? Your max ping shouldn't be more than 1ms if using a cable. You have 103ms with an average of 10ms. That's not right.

Did you restart the Raycore?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Company Rep
Here is what I see when connected directly to the CPE. No losses so is this looking good?

Looks okay no loss. There is some jitter but shouldn't be an issue unless it's causing like very high ping spikes.

JOEY_8

Can you try another cable? Your max ping shouldn't be more than 1ms if using a cable. You have 103ms with an average of 10ms. That's not right.

Did you restart the Raycore?
I did. Will try another cable and report back soon.

Aquiva

We are in testing phase now for a MTN fall back solution that would fall back on MTN Fixed LTE once the fibre goes down. We are testing it with staff currently and once the offer becomes available I can share more details about how it will work and if/or how it will be charged.

For now Afrihost clients can still get 1GB free mobile data via Air Mobile prepaid. It's not a lot but it can help when an outage occurs.
What are our options w.r.t credit or discount from FF? They actually have posted the FRG numbers confirming the outages and all the downtime adds up in hours. FF is not the cheapest provider nor the most stable...so there is very little incentive to stay with them if it keeps up like this.

NeoNarchy

We are in testing phase now for a MTN fall back solution that would fall back on MTN Fixed LTE once the fibre goes down. We are testing it with staff currently and once the offer becomes available I can share more details about how it will work and if/or how it will be charged.

For now Afrihost clients can still get 1GB free mobile data via Air Mobile prepaid. It's not a lot but it can help when an outage occurs.
Why is there a need to have a fall over/backup needed for our Fibre if its a know issue that there has been instability with FrogFoot I've personally experienced it since I got Fibre in 2020. We go with months of no issues to be hit by a stretch of several days to weeks of issues. This needs to escalated by our ISP's who act as middle men with the FNO. Having a fall over is just putting a plaster on a wound that never seems to heal. We already pay for a service and even if there is a backup its going to cost WAY MORE than what we pay for Fibre. 1 GB is not going to cut it and that's not aimed at you as the ISP but lets be fair we average gigabytes of usage in a day now, and going over to mobile is just going to be too expensive. The issue with FrogFoot needs to be addressed by someone else than the end user. Its a nice idea to have a backup but its not the solution.

Aquiva

Why is there a need to have a fall over/backup needed for our Fibre if its a know issue that there has been instability with FrogFoot I've personally experienced it since I got Fibre in 2020. We go with months of no issues to be hit by a stretch of several days to weeks of issues. This needs to escalated by our ISP's who act as middle men wit the FNO. Having a fall over is just putting a plaster on a wound that never seems to heal. We already pay for a service and even if there is a backup its going to cost WAY MORE than what we pay for Fibre 1 GB is not going to cut it and that's not aimed at you as the ISP but lets be fair we average gigabytes of usage in a day now, and going over to mobile is just going to be too expensive. The issue with FrogFoot needs to be addressed by someone else than the end user. Its a nice idea to have a backup but its not the solution.
I 1000% agree with you! Most people know the issue is with FF, but for many AH & FF are the same and does not reflect well on AH. Even when FF is working there are issues, so it isn't just the full outages.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Company Rep
What are our options w.r.t credit or discount from FF? They actually have posted the FRG numbers confirming the outages and all the downtime adds up in hours. FF is not the cheapest provider nor the most stable...so there is very little incentive to stay with them if it keeps up like this.

Morning,

We exclude intermittent and slow access credit claims due to the FNO's not entertaining service credits for these categories.

We can submit a service credit if there has been complete downtime for 1 day or more.

ZyborgRSA

Hi,

Not seeing any general issues and the traffic for KZN looks good on all the FNO's.

Is it specific traffic or packet loss?
Seems to be the area, Umgeni Park. Community group has been complaining all day. Seems to be a known thing, reps from Vox on the group replied a while back saying it was being looked at. It's all traffic, local and international, pretty much 1 meg speeds

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Company Rep
Seems to be the area, Umgeni Park. Community group has been complaining all day. Seems to be a known thing, reps from Vox on the group replied a while back saying it was being looked at. It's all traffic, local and international, pretty much 1 meg speeds

On Openserve?

Can you drop me a pm with your email so I can have a look to see if there is any notices from Openserve.