Afrihost Slow down at Night and weekends

Deno28

Hi
So I've had afrihost vdsl 20 meg home uncapped account for a about 4 months and it worked great but over the last 2 weeks it has become extremely slow from 6pm up to 10 pm during week days and the entire weekend. Like 2 meg down on speed test.

I phoned afrihost and did port reset but no luck even spoke to openserve who said they haven't received any other complaints so the exchange is probably fine(which could be true as I am not sure if anyone around me uses VDSL)

Does anyone else experience this with afrihost or is it with all ISPs or is it openserve.

Or could switching modulation to adsl2 resolve this problem

Thanks for your help

Flywheel

Honorary Master
Sounds like network congestion and shaping measures are being applied at those times to avoid a network crash. TL:DR - They need to buy more bandwidth.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Hi
So I've had afrihost vdsl 20 meg home uncapped account for a about 4 months and it worked great but over the last 2 weeks it has become extremely slow from 6pm up to 10 pm during week days and the entire weekend. Like 2 meg down on speed test.

I phoned afrihost and did port reset but no luck even spoke to openserve who said they haven't received any other complaints so the exchange is probably fine(which could be true as I am not sure if anyone around me uses VDSL)

Does anyone else experience this with afrihost or is it with all ISPs or is it openserve.

Thanks for your help

Hi,

We do not shape or throttle any DSL packages currently. In fact they have been given the same priority as our fibre services. This mean there could be congestion on the exchange that needs o be investigated.

We are going to need some speedtests and traceroutes to see where the issue might be and the way forward with logging a fault if needs be.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Sounds like network congestion and shaping measures are being applied at those times to avoid a network crash. TL:DR - They need to buy more bandwidth.

Fun fact. Since before lockdown we removed ALL shaping and throttling on ALL DSL products. If anyone on DSL is getting slow speeds it's not shaping or throttling related.

Deno28

thanks for the response, I have messaged you my speed test results and trace route

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
thanks for the response, I have messaged you my speed test results and trace route

Thank you I have responded. I would like to get as much tests as possible so we can pinpoint the issue and act accordingly. Thanks for allowing us the opportunity to investigate.

OCP

Expert Member
Fun fact. Since before lockdown we removed ALL shaping and throttling on ALL DSL products. If anyone on DSL is getting slow speeds it's not shaping or throttling related.
Not so fun fact: all the people complaining over the years that ADSL was being shaped in the evenings and were told there was no shaping or throttling were actually being shaped and throttled by your own admission....

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Not so fun fact: all the people complaining over the years that ADSL was being shaped in the evenings and were told there was no shaping or throttling were actually being shaped and throttled by your own admission....

We have let clients down in the past. We made mistakes. We definitely don't want to make the same mistakes again. I apologise for the way we let our clients down in the past and we do want to provide better service to our clients going forward.

OCP

Expert Member
We have let clients down in the past. We made mistakes. We definitely don't want to make the same mistakes again. I apologise for the way we let our clients down in the past and we do want to provide better service to our clients going forward.
Spoken like a true politician with no accountability and no compensation for those AH knowingly screwed over.

How many times have you used the same excuse and how many more times are you going to be using it?

There is a political party who has the exact same modus operandi - you must be so proud working for such and honorable and ethical company.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Spoken like a true politician with no accountability and no compensation for those AH knowingly screwed over.

How many times have you used the same excuse and how many more times are you going to be using it?

There is a political party who has the exact same modus operandi - you must be so proud working for such and honorable and ethical company.

I'm not sure exactly what you want me to say? Yes we let clients down. That is a fact. We certainly don't want to do that again. We made a mistake and we are sorry for that we really are. We have learned from our mistakes and have been tying our best to make up for past mistakes.

OCP

Expert Member
I'm not sure exactly what you want me to say? Yes we let clients down. That is a fact. We certainly don't want to do that again. We made a mistake and we are sorry for that we really are. We have learned from our mistakes and have been tying our best to make up for past mistakes.
Dont need you to say anything.

Admitting that AH knowlingy lied and deceived clients is all we needed to know.

Thank you for confirming that fact.

shahedgh

Hi

Thanks for your help
Hi

Same issue since i took out a pure dsl service with Afrihost , i am at a point where i've given up and waiting to try a different service provider , my experience with Afrihost on the pure DSL package has been rather disappointing , i must say though that AfriNatic has been great with assistance but his team is always a let down! Rather to move soon..

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Dont need you to say anything.

Admitting that AH knowlingy lied and deceived clients is all we needed to know.

Thank you for confirming that fact.

I don't think that is exactly what I said but once again I do apologise.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Hi

Same issue since i took out a pure dsl service with Afrihost , i am at a point where i've given up and waiting to try a different service provider , my experience with Afrihost on the pure DSL package has been rather disappointing , i must say though that AfriNatic has been great with assistance but his team is always a let down! Rather to move soon..

Ohh no that does not sound good. You still experiencing issues?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
i've given up good sir :) lol

Ohh no we have not even trying logging a fault yet. If you can send me some details like speedtest results showing the time your are experiencing issues and a trace route then we can log a fault with Openserve.

shahedgh

Ohh no we have not even trying logging a fault yet. If you can send me some details like speedtest results showing the time your are experiencing issues and a trace route then we can log a fault with Openserve.
:) i sent everything to your team .... not even an acknowledgement, out of the blue oneday i get a response saying if i am not happy i must consider changing to another Afrihost package lol :) so yeah... i have the same speed constraints like the other member identified at exactly the same times, never had that on my previous ADSL line , remind me again how i cancel / move over the line and take my business to another service provider

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
:) i sent everything to your team .... not even an acknowledgement, out of the blue oneday i get a response saying if i am not happy i must consider changing to another Afrihost package lol :) so yeah... i have the same speed constraints like the other member identified at exactly the same times, never had that on my previous ADSL line , remind me again how i cancel / move over the line and take my business to another service provider

Do you have a ticket ID for me perhaps?