Are all ISP's created equal?

StoneyHill

I have used Telkom as my ISP for 5 years and have been happy with the service. Faults have been sorted quickly, no billing issues, up time has been good. Only annoyance is occasional network congestion during peak times (early evening).

It's time to upgrade and Telkom's 40Gb / 4Mbps offering is the same price as Afrihost's 100Gb / 4Mbps. How do you compare ISP's on things like network congestion, up time, etc?

Thanks!

Carlhead

Expert Member
They're definitely not created equal; large ISPs like Afrihost build and maintain their own networks, including things like bandwidth contention and the like.

It's hard to gauge really; I've been with most networks and lately Afrihost has been good (since they deployed their new network). If you're on a capped package, you should never see any slowdown because of network congestion as the capped users should be the last to be throttled... This is certainly the case with Afrihost.

I find that everyone in the forum has their own favourite sevice provider and everyone has had good and bad experiences with every provider, so it's all fairly annecdotal.

My recommendation would be to get an account and test it, most providers will even give you a 1GB account for free to try it out.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
I have used Telkom as my ISP for 5 years and have been happy with the service. Faults have been sorted quickly, no billing issues, up time has been good. Only annoyance is occasional network congestion during peak times (early evening).

It's time to upgrade and Telkom's 40Gb / 4Mbps offering is the same price as Afrihost's 100Gb / 4Mbps. How do you compare ISP's on things like network congestion, up time, etc?

Thanks!

I'm glad to hear you're thinking of moving over to us.

It's very hard to assess from other user's experience (though it's certainly important). There are so many factors that influence a users experience. IN ADSL for example, the quality of their line, the amount of demand on their exchange - both of which are outside of our control.

That's why we offer a Free GB Dsl account, which you can use like any normal account, and you will keep getting a GB every month, cos we're that sure that you experience will be good. For mobile, you can sign up for Afrihost Plus+ for R99 and get Simfy music streaming, as well as 500MB mobile data per month (it also includes 2 for 1 topups) so you can try us out and see what you think. Afrihost Plus+ does include a free 30 day trial, so there is no risk on you at all :)

Thor

Honorary Master
The ISP network between the DSLAM and the upstream peering links. ISPs are managing evening in there, including the size of the IPC upstream.
You'll not to put that in drawing for me please.

Dan C

Honorary Master

Thanks!

Keep your 40 gig data from Telkom ( I presume you are on a 'DO' account at the moment ? ) if so, your data is discounted and you can use that 40 gig on a mobile device (3G/LTE) which works out really cheap.

Get additional data that you need from VOX or Afritoast.