Article: Sangoma sick note valid: court

Nobody Important

Executive Member
Fake news.

Link regarding very same case: https://tonyhealy.co.za/sangoma-training-does-not-qualify-for-sick-leave/

A Labour Appeal Court judgment caused quite a stir in addressing leave applications to attend Sangoma training, with many commentators erroneously reporting that the judgment confirmed that it created new law compelling employer’s to accept unregistered Sangoma, or traditional healer, certificates, for BCEA sick leave purposes.

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
What utter bullshcit...would have told both employee and labor court to fuk off.

So now "culture" and made up fairy tale schit, takes precedence over common sense/the law.
Phuck this, next week Im doing what I want because Jesus said its cool, he does not mind.

RedViking

Nord of the South
The law allows for Customary Law if it is reasonable, existed for a long time, generally recognised by the community and is certain and clear. So it is no surprise to me that the authority of a Sangoma is accepted. This is now going to happen a lot more though. Eish!

Whright

It’s winter, I’m getting cold in the mornings, I really don’t feel like getting up and going to work, does any one know of a Sangoma in the JHB area I can go see to book me off for a couple of weeks. So I can save my official leave days for summer?

RedViking

Nord of the South
It’s winter, I’m getting cold in the mornings, I really don’t feel like getting up and going to work, does any one know of a Sangoma in the JHB area I can go see to book me off for a couple of weeks. So I can save my official leave days for summer?
Yes, but it will cost your childs left ear and right hand pinky. You ready to go?

AdrianH

Expert Member
For R1000, I'll gooi my chicken bones from tonight's dinner, and book you off until Summer.

Grant

Honorary Master
mirth and merriment aside - western insurers often have an "act of god" clause.
food for thought ?

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
mirth and merriment aside - western insurers often have an "act of god" clause.
food for thought ?
It's a figure of speech. It doesn't imply that "God did it", so it is NOT the same as saying my ancestors told me to do it.

Acts of God provisions, also called “Force Majeure” clauses, relate to events outside human control, like flash floods, earthquakes, or other natural disasters. Generally, these provisions eliminate or limit liability for injuries or other losses resulting from such events.

RedViking

Nord of the South
It's a figure of speech. It doesn't imply that "God did it", so it is NOT the same as saying my ancestors told me to do it.

Acts of God provisions, also called “Force Majeure” clauses, relate to events outside human control, like flash floods, earthquakes, or other natural disasters. Generally, these provisions eliminate or limit liability for injuries or other losses resulting from such events.
Well now there is an extra clause. Supernatural disasters.

Jabulani22

OT but how long does it take to become a Sangoma? Is there formalised training or on the job, watch a pro type of hands on training?
First you request training , then if you are selected by spirits unknown to man , you get taken under the water for a while(unknown period) , if you mak it out you are a Sangoma .
Which is all western logic , since there is moe than one type of traditonal healer.

Grant

Honorary Master

nonsense
/sprinkles salt around the quin
salts.jpg

John Tempus

Expert Member
Uh no the case did in fact work in support of the employee against the employer based on Sangoma sick note.

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Sangoma-sick-note-valid-says-court-20121019

The tonyhealy post just writes it a bit different but the same outcome.

"The CCMA held that it was clear that the parties had conflicting interests, and that the employer had acted with a lack of empathy and understanding of cultural diversity in the workplace, continuing that the employee, faced with two evils, had chosen the lesser evil. It was also noted that the employer had not suffered irreparable harm, and that the employee’s absence was beyond her control. "

Oh cry me a fking river, "lack of empathy" and "beyond her control" because the employee brought a sick note from a Sangoma relating to her ancestors, lmao ? So the tonyhealy post is just a bit more Politically correct in writing but it is the same outcome as the news24 article and timeslive article.