Axxess MTN LTE-A Invalid Profile

Radar1

Has anyone had the issue where your LTE-A router (Huawei B618 in my case) randomly decided that the profile that was set up becomes invalid?

My router works perfectly with the APN that Axxess supplied me (with speeds peaking at almost 90Mbps), but every 1-2 days my internet stops working and I get the error "Connection failed. The profile is invalid." when I log into the router.

The support team at Axxess repeats the same 2 answers every time:
  • Change the router network band from Auto to 3G/4G, save and change it back to Auto.
  • Delete the Axxess-APN and recreate it exactly the same as it was. Both these solutions work, but only for about 1-2 days.

Axxess is adamant that it is a problem on MTN's side that is caused by load shedding and that every MTN LTE-A connection in the country has the same problem. I highly doubt that this is the case, since that would mean every client will have to go through this tedious process every time.

I am hoping someone else managed to find a solution to this, since MTN's LTE-A is my only option for broadband internet in my area.

Toggle

I have precisely the same problem with my Huawei B525 modem since joining Axxess in December. Service works for 1-2 days, then reverts to the same issue. Same answers from the "help centre". We also only have this service as an option in our area.
I hope we can put pressure on Axxess to give an answer/provide a final solution. We are paying for a service we don't get.

jellievis

Can I add something here?

I have two Huawei routers at home and they are the exactly same model – B618. Each one has a sim in with a MTN Fixed LTE package, one which I got from Afrihost and the other one I got from Axxess.

Sometimes after load shedding (not every time) the router with the sim from Axxess does this by giving the same error that you guys get. I must say that this is not every 1 to 2 days - thanks for that! I would say once a month in my case.

Logic tells me they must run from the same MTN tower, because the routers are at the same location. So, if this is a problem with MTN, why would only one sim card do this? I am not saying that it is impossible, but I find it quite strange.

Maybe I am just lucky with the one I ordered via Afrihost?

Radar1

Can I add something here?

I have two Huawei routers at home and they are the exactly same model – B618. Each one has a sim in with a MTN Fixed LTE package, one which I got from Afrihost and the other one I got from Axxess.

Sometimes after load shedding (not every time) the router with the sim from Axxess does this by giving the same error that you guys get. I must say that this is not every 1 to 2 days - thanks for that! I would say once a month in my case.

Logic tells me they must run from the same MTN tower, because the routers are at the same location. So, if this is a problem with MTN, why would only one sim card do this? I am not saying that it is impossible, but I find it quite strange.

Maybe I am just lucky with the one I ordered via Afrihost?
Thank you for the comment regarding Afrihost. This seems to be an Axxess problem... Since Axxess only allows you cancel your service by the end of the next month, I have just cancelled at Axxess, and will give Afrihost a go from the end of March.

Faux_Grey

I have another thread going for this.
same problem, load shedding, tower hopping.
Mine can only be fixed by factory resetting the routers
Both of mine are afrihost.

Check what tower (cell_ID) your router is connecting to

Last edited:

Radar1

I have another thread going for this.
same problem, load shedding, tower hopping.
Mine can only be fixed by factory resetting the routers
Both of mine are afrihost.

Check what tower (cell_ID) your router is connecting to
Thanks for the info.

Does the problem occur again after the factory reset, or does it eventually happen again?

If it does connect to a different tower, is there a way to not allow a router to connect to a specific tower?

Faux_Grey

Thanks for the info.

Does the problem occur again after the factory reset, or does it eventually happen again?

If it does connect to a different tower, is there a way to not allow a router to connect to a specific tower?
I am resetting my routers after every round of load shedding, 2 routers 2-3 times a day, not fun.
Happens constantly.
Had a support ticket open with Afrihost for a few months now and still no resolution, if I had another option for connectivity I wouldve taken it long ago.

Radar1

My internet was fine for the last few days, and then we had load shedding again... And back to the problem. I guess it makes sense that load shedding causes the problem in that the router cannot find the locked in tower, connects to the wrong tower and then gets stuck with the invalid profile problem. I wish MTN would rather then lock you to an area of towers, not just a specific one.

I'm just outside the Telkon LTE-A reception (about 100m) - my next try will be do give them a go. At least they don't lock you to a specific tower. I might just have to invest in an external LTE antenna.

Jake45

Expert Member
I have a Huawei B618s-22d router with an Afrihost Pure LTE package and I have not experienced this problem despite numerous loadshedding events. During loadshedding I usually power the router from a Huawei HW-Li2.6Ah-C battery pack.

Radar1

I have a Huawei B618s-22d router with an Afrihost Pure LTE package and I have not experienced this problem despite numerous loadshedding events. During loadshedding I usually power the router from a Huawei HW-Li2.6Ah-C battery pack.
My guess is that those of us that get this problem are unlucky enough to connect to a tower that has insufficient backup batteries. My MTN mobile sim drops to edge when load shedding starts.

Jake45

Expert Member
@Radar1: The tower in my area does appear to stay up while loadshedding is underway. I hope that you can determine the cause of the problem so that it can be resolved.

AfriMan mentioned the possibility of adding some type of reset button to the ClientZone for customers whose connections stopped working as a result of routers connecting to incorrect towers etc. Maybe something like that would help?

Radar1

@Radar1: The tower in my area does appear to stay up while loadshedding is underway. I hope that you can determine the cause of the problem so that it can be resolved.

AfriMan mentioned the possibility of adding some type of reset button to the ClientZone for customers whose connections stopped working as a result of routers connecting to incorrect towers etc. Maybe something like that would help?
That sounds like it should make things easier, but I would then still have to manually reset the connection. The biggest problem for me is that I can't access my alarm and security cameras remotely after load shedding.

Faux_Grey

Has anyone had a resolution to the "invalid profile" error which keeps popping up on their MTN LTE?

Radar1

Has anyone had a resolution to the "invalid profile" error which keeps popping up on their MTN LTE?
I am 99% sure that the diagnosis of it being a problem only when the specific MTN tower is offline, and the router then connects to a different tower, is correct. The best solution (unfortunately) that I could find was to cancel my MTN connection and go over to Telkom. [Yes, I know that is not actually a solution ;)]

Faux_Grey

I am 99% sure that the diagnosis of it being a problem only when the specific MTN tower is offline, and the router then connects to a different tower, is correct. The best solution (unfortunately) that I could find was to cancel my MTN connection and go over to Telkom. [Yes, I know that is not actually a solution ;)]
I've moved over to MTN because there is no signal on telkom after they cancelled the 4G roaming, or rain, doesn't help me much!
The only one that worked was CellC which got cancelled.

Radar1

I've moved over to MTN because there is no signal on telkom after they cancelled the 4G roaming, or rain, doesn't help me much!
The only one that worked was CellC which got cancelled.
If you find a solution to this, please let us know. I would like to go back to MTN, since their speed in my area is much better.

I fall outside Telkom's coverage area (by about 100m) and I still have good signal with the router inside the house. Apparently with a (cheap) external antenna you can use Telkom quite far outside their coverage area. Don't know if that could maybe help you...

Faux_Grey

If you find a solution to this, please let us know. I would like to go back to MTN, since their speed in my area is much better.

I fall outside Telkom's coverage area (by about 100m) and I still have good signal with the router inside the house. Apparently with a (cheap) external antenna you can use Telkom quite far outside their coverage area. Don't know if that could maybe help you...
Already got external antenna, no telkom signal since they turned off the fixed LTE roaming which I think was roaming on MTN? MyBB had an article last year I think. Either way I've already had a telkom fixed LTE contract and the experience was not a good one.

Radar1

Already got external antenna, no telkom signal since they turned off the fixed LTE roaming which I think was roaming on MTN? MyBB had an article last year I think. Either way I've already had a telkom fixed LTE contract and the experience was not a good one.
That sucks!! I hope you can find a solution for MTN, or that they fix this issue. If I stumble upon anything I'll post it here. Good luck!

Revnge_SevnFold

The first time this happened to me was when I first got my MTN LTE sim in December 2019 after cellc cancellation.
Nothing worked to fix it, the sim just started working again on its own, day or two later into December.

However it happened today out of the blue, no load shedding required. Axxess support sent me these instructions that worked for me:
Since you've reconfigured the APN settings can you try this troubleshooting one last time:

*Change the network setting to 3G, save and apply.

*Then go to the home page, click on those connection arrows (data traffic arrows)
off and back on

*It will try to connect to 3G, >connecting, connecting, connecting, error - connection failed,profile is invalid.

*Restart your router, leave the network mode on 3G for a few minutes (max 5min) (I waited 10min)

*Click again on the arrows on the home page, off and on, wait again for the error message, then go and change back the network settings : Auto or 4G only.

*Check your status light - should turn blue
and then you should have a connection.

Hope this helps anyone.