Cell C to upgrade systems this weekend

Necksy

This is a very brave move from cell c. Congrads on trying everything to make sure that user experience is enhanced. Does this mean that we can make free calls to any other network during the downtime?

OMB

Mountain Man
misleading headline again, it's back office systems and not the network that are being impacted :p

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Quick update: The first infographic that was sent out was inaccurate. We've updated the article to reflect the latest information.

ike

isnt cellc always experiencing problems with making calls etc. thats why i didnt renew my contract with them, because they were always tryingto use their own network, whereas in the past they would piggyback on vc when theirs was substandard. they dont care anymore coz they all big and grown up, result being you get cut off all the time. so i cut them off. :)

iCubed.Saajid

I'm loving Cell C more and more since their re-launch. Big up to them for publicizing the expected downtime, and warning all their customers. Something so simple and easy to do, yet most of the other players take it for granted.

I don't recall ever receiving such warnings from Vodacom, MTN or Virgin Mobile. Just random network errors, dropped calls, downtime, broken services, etc, which they would claim "never happened" or blame it on something else, or admit AFTERWARDS that they had problems during a "scheduled upgrade".

Cell C FTW!

Vodacom, MTN - take a leaf out of Cell C's book. We all know this is impossible for you, as you are too arrogant, but nevertheless we will still try to advise you.

MrG

Executive Member
I've just switched from Virgin Mobile to 8ta.

Reasons:
Virgin Mobile has pathetic data speeds. I only use my data for browsing google mobile and facebook mobile however these things time out.
USSD services take way too long to respond. SOmetimes I wait 2 hours to get information regarding my balance. The balance information on the text message front has not worked for me for 2 of the 3 months ive been with them.

Why 8ta?
Decent text message rates.

CELL C GET BETTER SMS RATES PLEASE and im urs... :)

MrG

Executive Member
WHY? Oh why??

Use a TelkomInternet 9GB|30GB (39GB total) account that is costing R169 (part of a Closer 5 lifetime special) for Local Only SAIX News Servers.

Was using a 25GB AfriHost International until the special expired. Was 25GB (doubled) for R269. Currently in search of a better price again.

jasweb

Must say CellC seens to do more and more right. Amazing what a good re-branding and more importantly re-servicing (and sticking to it) can achieve.

Pretty sure many users (me included) have dropped Vodacom 3G like a hot potato. Cell C is SUPERFAST (saw 8890 Kbps this afternoon on my black "speedstick"). Pretty darn quick!

MegasXLR

Banned
Come now and grow up some more Cell C, I want to send Telkom and Mweb to the dungeons, the sooner the better.

I hope they expand their coverage soon.

pkid

Expert Member
10 points to them. Really, really, really impressed with the new Cell C.

Enzo Matrix

Honorary Master
Virgin is not impacted by the systems upgrade. Billing and CRM systems are mostly impacted but it is unlikely to have any customer impact at all

Bismuth

Expert Member
Must say CellC seens to do more and more right. Amazing what a good re-branding and more importantly re-servicing (and sticking to it) can achieve.

Pretty sure many users (me included) have dropped Vodacom 3G like a hot potato. Cell C is SUPERFAST (saw 8890 Kbps this afternoon on my black "speedstick"). Pretty darn quick!

I was looking for a 3G solution when Cell C came with their 2Gb/5Gb special, so bought that. Had already decided to port to Cell C (from Vodacom) before this, so far I haven't regretted the move. Wasn't impressed with Cell C when they first started out, so didn't bother with them, but the certainly appear to be maturing.

B

drukkie

Expert Member
I've just switched from Virgin Mobile to 8ta.

Reasons:
Virgin Mobile has pathetic data speeds. I only use my data for browsing google mobile and facebook mobile however these things time out.
USSD services take way too long to respond. SOmetimes I wait 2 hours to get information regarding my balance. The balance information on the text message front has not worked for me for 2 of the 3 months ive been with them.

Why 8ta?
Decent text message rates.

CELL C GET BETTER SMS RATES PLEASE and im urs... :)

Virgin is getting 3G in two weeks :)

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Ok. At 00:39 this morning, I couldn't connect to anything data related - in fact, not anything at all.
I've got the 5GB deal, simcard in my SGS.
Was browsing the web just fine and then my browser was stalling.

I still had in excess of 3.6GB and when I did a balance check a bit earlier, there was none and my voice related balance was also clocked down to zero.

I doubled checked my TrafficInfo to see that there wasn't some underlying update of 3.6GB within 5 minutes and there wasn't.
So I thought that it may be related to this upgrade, but re-reading the article again, the upgrade happened on Saturday night.

So I'm :confused: for now, but leaning towards :mad: in the next hour or so...