Jan

Drifting in the black
what if i already have a prepaid SIM and I want to "upgrade"?

Depending on the network (and possibly the type of SIM you have), you may have to pay for a SIM swap. I'm not 100% sure which networks and/or SIMs are affected, though.

signeffex

Hi

If you migrate from prepaid to contract with Cell C there is no sim and connection fee.
Not sure about the other networks.

LPCPT

Prepaid here I come. Just waiting for contract to expire. Buy my own phone and to hell with these contracts.

They don't even rollout the android upgrades, just want you to get a newer phone on contract all the time.

Will checkout Telkom mobile. Lot of friends and family on there.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
How can they justify charging a connection fee for contracts when there is no connection fee for prepaid. Doesn't make any sense.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
If you take out a new/upgrade your contract with CellC via Sales (084)145, they don't charge a connection fee. It's just the franchises that charge it as far as I know.

That said, the CellC network has all but collapsed, so pay the damn R202 and move to Vodacom.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
If you take out a new/upgrade your contract with CellC via Sales (084)145, they don't charge a connection fee. It's just the franchises that charge it as far as I know.

That said, the CellC network has all but collapsed, so pay the damn R202 and move to Vodacom.
What area are you in?

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
Cell C quietly increased its SIM & connection fee by 71% from R114 to R195 between July and August 2014, but still remains cheaper than Vodacom and Telkom Mobile.

R195 is not significantly cheaper than R200. Nothing to write home about.

BGE

Expert Member
I guess CellC now has to compensate for the less than ideal mobile termination rates. It's their own fault that they were willing to hedge their bets on a quasi gov/parastatal decision.

cozinsky

Expert Member
I order my phones from Vodacom online shops. Not only do you avoid the pesky queues but they waive the connection fees. I get my phones delivered within a day.

Jan

Drifting in the black
Cell C has provided feedback to our questions about the price hike:

"Cell C has not increased its SIM and Connection fee for the past few years. We have now adjusted the fee, which is in line with most of the other market players."