Considering a new ISP - please help

n1ckna5

Hi guys.

I've been with webafrica for a while now (100/25mb uncapped octotel). Since ive started streaming i've decided i want to upgrade the upload to 100 aswell. However i see a couple other ISPs have 100/100 for about 100-200 bucks cheaper.

Speeds are pretty inconsistent at peak times. Twitch.TV speeds are BAD, seriously i have to go to 240p to stop the buffering most nights (cant understand why and maybe its not even a webafrica problem). Support is fairly quick but is dealt with by other people everytime. I like the portal etc.

I DON'T LIKE THE CLAW BACK FEES ON CANCELLING.

Is there any ISP that honors claw back fees? Are there other ISPs that don't have claw back fees? Im looking for good consistent speed at a cheaper price with peace of mind. I'd like to save money where i can without totally eff'ing up everything. Any help appreciated.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
as mentioned above, I think Twitch is just generally bad for buffering.

n1ckna5

as mentioned above, I think Twitch is just generally bad for buffering.
It's pretty annoying because i have friends with 20mb and they can stream it 1080p.. here i am on 240p with a 100mb line.. theres no justice in this world :/.

DarkSt0rm

I've had success on YouTube Gaming over twitch, but yeah; twitch in ZA is just shyte, regardless of ISP... One of these years, when bandwidth becomes cheaper (at a datacenter level), maybe we will get a local ingest server.... One of these years.... Maybe...

cavedog

Honorary Master
Nothing wrong with Twitch streaming. Twitch streaming requires your fibre/adsl/vdsl line to have ZERO packet loss. The slightest packet loss would cause buffering issues.

On my Openserve 200/100Mbps line twitch stream perfect on Supersonic, Cybersmart, Vox and Infogro. ISP's that gives good speed but still buffers Telkom, Axxess, Afrihost, Mweb

DarkSt0rm

Nothing wrong with Twitch streaming. Twitch streaming requires your fibre/adsl/vdsl line to have ZERO packet loss. The slightest packet loss would cause buffering issues.

On my Openserve 200/100Mbps line twitch stream perfect on Supersonic, Cybersmart, Vox and Infogro. ISP's that gives good speed but still buffers Telkom, Axxess, Afrihost, Mweb
Actually you just reminded me, that the last tests I did were invalid (couldn't push anything higher than 2500kbps 100% stably due to issues on my side of the line); let me retest quickly...

cavedog

Honorary Master
Actually you just reminded me, that the last tests I did were invalid (couldn't push anything higher than 2500kbps 100% stably due to issues on my side of the line); let me retest quickly...
If you are talking about uploading then yeah it's poor all round. If you see most speedtest for everyone any speedtest to international server the upload is always pretty poor.

If you are talking about watching twitch then yes you should not have issues watching twitch.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
I've had success on YouTube Gaming over twitch, but yeah; twitch in ZA is just shyte, regardless of ISP... One of these years, when bandwidth becomes cheaper (at a datacenter level), maybe we will get a local ingest server.... One of these years.... Maybe...
We've ordered this to Twitch for free and they weren't interested, but when AWS becomes available within SA Twitch will probably follow.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
If you are talking about uploading then yeah it's poor all round. If you see most speedtest for everyone any speedtest to international server the upload is always pretty poor.

If you are talking about watching twitch then yes you should not have issues watching twitch.
It's window scaling on the outbound from Windows generally. This is why we host a Linux relay.

MraL

Hi guys.

I've been with webafrica for a while now (100/25mb uncapped octotel). Since ive started streaming i've decided i want to upgrade the upload to 100 aswell. However i see a couple other ISPs have 100/100 for about 100-200 bucks cheaper.

Speeds are pretty inconsistent at peak times. Twitch.TV speeds are BAD, seriously i have to go to 240p to stop the buffering most nights (cant understand why and maybe its not even a webafrica problem). Support is fairly quick but is dealt with by other people everytime. I like the portal etc.

I DON'T LIKE THE CLAW BACK FEES ON CANCELLING.

Is there any ISP that honors claw back fees? Are there other ISPs that don't have claw back fees? Im looking for good consistent speed at a cheaper price with peace of mind. I'd like to save money where i can without totally eff'ing up everything. Any help appreciated.
Vanilla ONLY work month to month, definitely no clawback fees, we do like that you use a good router and you pay the costs we incur... Twitch works great on our network, we have a gig spare on international and shortest path to UK

n1ckna5

Ah ok I worked it out... Every night between 6:30-10pm I have packet loss.

Anyone got any suggestions?

This is obviously a webafrica/octotel thing.. im in blouberg.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Ah ok I worked it out... Every night between 6:30-10pm I have packet loss.

Anyone got any suggestions?

This is obviously a webafrica/octotel thing.. im in blouberg.
This is more than likely Octotel related if you check out thread, it's affecting all ISPs.