under_sky

So - if what that guy says is true - then ja - what do you say about those graphs hey. In saying that - maybe there is a counter argument to his statement, but I won't know, as I don't know enough about how peering works to make any sort of valid comment.

I think at the end of the day as a consumer who demands the best there is, which is why i signed up with CISP in the first place, its frustrating when you pay a ^$^% load of money for something that doesn't perform at its best most of the time, and in particular I'm talking about international speeds. Local works lekker, but who consumes most of their data in SA - everything is on the other side of the pond.

Cheers
We would need @PBCool to answer that for us. i dont run an ISP or ever intend to i only sell products to one of them. After having a quick read around i know that HE seems to be decent from what they say. I would always get my download speed on my line to the UK etc till the last day or 2. But it might just be some routing issue or something along those lines.

I do know buying capacity is a big deal like on the telkom network to buy 10Gbps capacity to cape town from JHB is around R500 000. I could only imagine that international capacity being crazy expensive. Scary fact is that Telkom/Openserve has got the biggest fibre network in SA.

Tinuva

The Magician
Why would an external party have this to say about my ISP when I inquired why my download speed from them are so poor. I'm not expert in these things - but these people seem to know what they are talking about. May this explain why international speeds aren't always what they should be ?

View attachment 567495
Well I would say thats because they are not as friendly as other networks when it comes to tweaking routing.
Level3 (my favorite tier1), for example allow you to use BGP communities to manipulate how they advertise your prefixes over the world. Even Cogentco (who I dislike the most, but is next cost effective after HE), allows this.

There some other reasons too.

What really is the issue here, is currently some networks in EU prefers routing over the new cables going through SouthEast America, instead of straight from EU to ZA.

In fact, that comment that you have screenshotted there, tells me, that external party has a beef with Hurricane Electric, and probably on purpose will prefer _any_ other path on the internet if they can. Which is why they route back to you over the Anglo cable currently.

ps. politics in the internet world is real, and sometimes it really sucks and it is only customers like you and me that are disadvantaged by it.

Elis

Hi, Does Cool Ideas still offer trial accounts for latency comparisons/general testing? I was fortunate enough to get access to a Cool Ideas account for a very brief time (think it was 24hrs) to test and I got the same ping as my normal ISP so I decided to not pull the trigger on migrating/dealing with changing ISPs. This was earlier in the year.

With the new SACS cable routing being offered (and Mweb completely sleeping on it) I would like to test again. I literally only care about lowest possible latency to EU and South America from Cape Town.

Thanks for any assistance.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Hi, Does Cool Ideas still offer trial accounts for latency comparisons/general testing? I was fortunate enough to get access to a Cool Ideas account for a very brief time (think it was 24hrs) to test and I got the same ping as my normal ISP so I decided to not pull the trigger on migrating/dealing with changing ISPs. This was earlier in the year.

With the new SACS cable routing being offered (and Mweb completely sleeping on it) I would like to test again. I literally only care about lowest possible latency to EU and South America from Cape Town.

Thanks for any assistance.
We do on Openserves network.

New subscriber myself and been perfect up until yesterday. Been having issues since last night, only on a 10mb line but locally I'm suddenly getting no more than about 5mb/s and internationally (London) around 1.5mb/s. Ping also fluctuates quite bit. I'll give support a call at 9.