wingnut771

Expert Member
Agree completely. People get angry as they're paying for a service so it's extremely frustrating when it doesn't work as it should, but I honestly believe CISP is doing all they can do resolve these issues with the fibre providers.
I'm still yet to hear from Octotel even acknowledge a problem.
All I hear from them is all is fine no problem here, check with your ISP.

LOTR

CISP CrowdSource request: Please help us solve FNO issues by providing information.
I assume this is for those who ARE experiencing issues, and not for those who are all good at the moment?

TranQ

I've added two of my results. I'll go check my history tonight and post more results, hopefully this assists in getting this resolved.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Blouberg Rise.
PM/email me for the exact address.
You're quite close to me - interesting enough - some people in the area (Coral Road - and somewhere else) - also on Octotel report no issue (big problem with this though is their technical expertise is unknown - they might say no issue because Netflix streams, and local speed tests report perfect speeds). Although, I definitely believe its Octotel, we're pretty much helpless without the assistance of the ISPs we pay.

No other ISP in South Africa will go the extra mile like this for you.
Disagree on this - I've been assisted by another ISP for two days - today being third - in getting results that can be set to Octotel.

In fact - last night was just using my line to log results from 7 to 7.

TranQ

Getting what resolved? Ask Octotel, they'll tell you that they've checked and all is fine.
I'm not with Octotel, I'm with Netstream but yes I'm basically getting the same response. A techie was at my place yesterday for the first time since it was logged in November and according to him he made changes and my line should be fine. But can you believe it when I got home last night I was still sitting with my sub 1Mbps speed to the UK.

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
Getting what resolved? Ask Octotel, they'll tell you that they've checked and all is fine.
Yes we know this, but let's give Paul and Roelf time to do their thing now. There's enough awareness of the issue now and the spotlight is shining on all the people concerned.

You're quite close to me - interesting enough - some people in the area (Coral Road - and somewhere else) - also on Octotel report no issue (big problem with this though is their technical expertise is unknown - they might say no issue because Netflix streams, and local speed tests report perfect speeds). Although, I definitely believe its Octotel, we're pretty much helpless without the assistance of the ISPs we pay.
Having gotten to know the people in my 'hood aside from the two youngsters at the end of my street that rape the internet, FTTH is a large mix of entry level and the one above that kind of packages, especially in Coral Road (friends of ours live there and they use Telkom LTE because FTTH is "too expensive")
And for the most part, most of them have it for Netflix, which always works because of the local CDN

rvanwyk

Expert Member
Anyone noticing degraded Netflix streaming during the evenings? Started noticing it for about a week now. Everything else seems fine so not sure if it is on Netflix's side. Would love to hear if anyone else is getting this?

Vuma Aerial, Wilgeheuwel

jannier

Sinbad

Honorary Master
You guys saying "ask octotel"... it doesn't work that way. You'll deal with some first line helpdesk tech or social media operator who has no idea what is going on at high levels in a problem investigation. The FNOs are not geared to provide deep technical support to end users. That's the ISP's job - and at the level of problem of an NNI issue or a congested segment of the FNO network, that's not something that the ISP's first line support is going to know about either. These guys work off scripts and dashboards.

Paul is supremely competent at what he does - he's engaged at the right level to get this resolved but the reality is that it does take time to diagnose and identify issues - and this kind of issue is not cheap to fix so you won't find the FNO (or the ISP) just chucking new hardware in all over the place in the hopes that one of the changes will fix the problem.

Situation sucks but it is what it is, there's not a lot that can be done from our side...

image132

Which area, and network ? We're trying to collate ...
100/25 Octotel. Cape Town, Southern Suburbs, Claremont.

I PM'd PBcool with my ticket number and subject "Octotel" as he requested. Not sure if he got it. I've also filled out your form.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you to help resolve this mess.

STORMERSFAN

Anyone noticing degraded Netflix streaming during the evenings? Started noticing it for about a week now. Everything else seems fine so not sure if it is on Netflix's side. Would love to hear if anyone else is getting this?

Vuma Aerial, Wilgeheuwel
Im.fine in.evenings..HONEYDEWRIDGE..vuma aerial as well..cool ideas 20/2

Praeses

Expert Member