Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranger_JoJo

Morning all,

Vumatel is currently installing in my suburb (Cape Town) and I'm looking at ISP options to move off Telkom ADSL + VOX isp.
Will most likely be going with a 100Mbps/100Mbps line from Vumatel; but got stuck on ISP to go with.

Compared staying with VOX vs moving to Cool Ideas. Trying to get a feel for both ISPs network in good old "Slaap Stad" and looks like Cool Ideas is heavily biased towards deploying up north? Any on hear with experience of both ISP from Cape Town; latency and speeds to London would be important consideration. As see complaints against both for bad international connectivity, depending on who you ask.:confused:

Wondering if it comes down to where you are at with Cool Ideas.

See this for them vs good old Telkom

peeringdb - Vox Telecom
https://beta.peeringdb.com/net/3586
Vox.jpg

peeringdb - Cool Ideas Service Provider Pty Ltd
https://beta.peeringdb.com/net/7976
Cool Ideas.jpg

peeringdb - Telkom SA
https://beta.peeringdb.com/net/5014

peeringdb - Telkom Internet
https://beta.peeringdb.com/net/6708

Any Cape Town based war-stories/advise for either ISP?

Thanks

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
@PBCool My CW account won't work from midnight tonight. I haven't received login details from CISP yet. Are you guys on the ball with my order?

Edit: FFS, why is no one manning the call centre? Your website says calling hours end at 3pm today.

Edit 2: Someone did pick up. Hopefully the stuff they've done will work from 12am.

Last edited:

Neoprod

Honorary Master
^^, that's a Multichoice issue...Youtube 1080p 60fps plays perfectly but SS will buffer on my 20mbps connection.

edit: my experience, not sure if you guys are having actual line issues.

gfmalan

Expert Member
Cool Ideas Fiber ISP - Feedback

^^, that's a Multichoice issue...Youtube 1080p 60fps plays perfectly but SS will buffer on my 20mbps connection.

edit: my experience, not sure if you guys are having actual line issues.
Line issue, this time of the day again, fcking fibre periods

Next thing I’ll hear is I’m using wifi, “Don’t Care”, the up show what is possible, and it only happen this time of the day

Last edited:

boyequal

Line issue, this time of the day again, fcking fibre periods

Next thing I’ll hear is I’m using wifi, “Don’t Care”, the up show what is possible, and it only happen this time of the day
Well, are you using WiFi?

boyequal

Doesnt matter, all the video streaming is happening over cat5 cable with gigabit switches and routers.

(And it suck)
As a matter of fact, it does.

You can have the best highways and tarred roads, but if your driveway is made of dirt, you will end up going slower.

WiFi can have a multitude of issues that can drag down it's speed. From the way the signal bounces or tries to penetrate walls (remember, in SA we don't have drywalling), to interferences from other devices, to just faulty drivers and/or equipment. And judging by the wonky dl vs ul, it's quite probably the WiFi...

Just test it over a wired connection, if you get the same results then by all means put up a fuss.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Supersport uses Akamai which we have a cluster on our network. So either a feed issue from supersport or it's a medium issue.

ponder

Honorary Master
As a matter of fact, it does.

You can have the best highways and tarred roads, but if your driveway is made of dirt, you will end up going slower.

WiFi can have a multitude of issues that can drag down it's speed. From the way the signal bounces or tries to penetrate walls (remember, in SA we don't have drywalling), to interferences from other devices, to just faulty drivers and/or equipment. And judging by the wonky dl vs ul, it's quite probably the WiFi...

Just test it over a wired connection, if you get the same results then by all means put up a fuss.
Doesnt matter, all the video streaming is happening over cat5 cable with gigabit switches and routers.

(And it suck)

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
@Bryn

All working?
Holy s**t my connection is amazing on Cool Ideas!

Speed tests to Cape Town shaved nearly 10ms off their latency. Websites are noticeably snappier, particularly local ones. Supersport streams perfectly - it always did but it's that little bit faster to go from pixelated to clear. Tested a few random sites like Twitch and Youtube and they're fine. Torrents seem alright too.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master

Speed tests to Cape Town shaved nearly 10ms off their latency. Websites are noticeably snappier, particularly local ones. Supersport streams perfectly - it always did but it's that little bit faster to go from pixelated to clear. Tested a few random sites like Twitch and Youtube and they're fine. Torrents seem alright too.
Lol welcome to the first world, where you can now point and laugh at the ADSL peasants...

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Lol welcome to the first world, where you can now point and laugh at the ADSL peasants...
Heh, I was already on fibre but with Crystal Web. Things used to be really good with them but I think the gradual decrease in performance was impossible to really notice. Nowadays they don't seem to be great. Nice to be back on a proper fibre connection.

Tinuva

The Magician

Yeah any connection with shaping on, feels sluggish. Even if its a 200Mbps Fibre line. I wonder if we will see a movement again where ISPs advertise no shaping uncapped....probably not soon.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Yeah any connection with shaping on, feels sluggish. Even if its a 200Mbps Fibre line. I wonder if we will see a movement again where ISPs advertise no shaping uncapped....probably not soon.
That must be it then. It's sad not because CW doesn't have this performance, but because they used to. Would be interesting to learn what went wrong with that ISP - they were the people's champion for such a long time.

Looney

Expert Member
That must be it then. It's sad not because CW doesn't have this performance, but because they used to. Would be interesting to learn what went wrong with that ISP - they were the people's champion for such a long time.
So was Openweb lol

Status
Not open for further replies.