Glordit

Expert Member
1.5TB is not sufficient for a home user? WTF?
Not too sure if you stating that 1.5Tb's is enough or too much, but for the sake of consistensty and other people who are interested;

Streaming 1080p from Funimation, HiDive, Netflix, Hulu or Crunchyroll and that's easily going to be about 700Mb-1.3Gb for 20 minutes of video.

Download and update games on Steam, Uplay, Origin, EGS, GOG Galaxy etc, and you'll hit 500GB's or more pretty quickly.

Watch/Live stream on Twitch or Mixer for a couple of hours and you'll also be using up a lot of bandwidth.

1.5Tb's might seem like a lot of data but on a 100Mbps line you'll be surprised at how quickly things add up.

$m@Rt@$$

Expert Member
Not too sure if you stating that 1.5Tb's is enough or too much, but for the sake of consistensty and other people who are interested;

Streaming 1080p from Funimation, HiDive, Netflix, Hulu or Crunchyroll and that's easily going to be about 700Mb-1.3Gb for 20 minutes of video.

Download and update games on Steam, Uplay, Origin, EGS, GOG Galaxy etc, and you'll hit 500GB's or more pretty quickly.

Watch/Live stream on Twitch or Mixer for a couple of hours and you'll also be using up a lot of bandwidth.

1.5Tb's might seem like a lot of data but on a 100Mbps line you'll be surprised at how quickly things add up.
Totally agree, people without fast connections have no idea how quickly you can consume data. 1 hour of 4k Netflix at 10 gigs a hour per day equates to more than 300gigs a month. I mean one AAA game title these days are 50gb+ to download. I'm already sitting on 700gb usage for the month without even trying.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
My family uses a lot of data, and we're almost always between 1 and 1.5TB for any given month. You've got to really klap the 4K Netflix, torrent hoarding or full PC backups to go past that. Or maybe finish games at lightning speed and constantly download new AAA titles.

Not a squeak from Frogfoot in ages now. The installation is clearly not finished this side of Walmer. I wonder what the slowdown is over, given how incredibly fast they worked initially.

No particular rush, as we already have 200Mbps Openserve and can't change our Afrihost account for another 4 months anyway without a R999 penalty.

Voden

Looking for some advice.

Recently FrogFoot installed fiber in mt area [Walmer Heights]
I'm undecided on what ISP to use looking at a 10/10Mbps

Supersonic looks good to me, according to the lady on the phone they have no FUP or [4tb] max
Vox has being getting decent praise as well.

Any assistance or father knowledge on ISP will be appreciated.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Looking for some advice.

Recently FrogFoot installed fiber in mt area [Walmer Heights]
I'm undecided on what ISP to use looking at a 10/10Mbps

Supersonic looks good to me, according to the lady on the phone they have no FUP or [4tb] max
Vox has being getting decent praise as well.

Any assistance or father knowledge on ISP will be appreciated.
Afrihost is a great option since they introduced Pure Fibre. I moved onto their 200Mbps option and it's been great. Awesome Clientzone and mobile app as well, plus all the reps here on MyBB and the very good WhatsApp support.

Voden

Anyone in the Walmer Heights region know if its FrogFoot or SADV?
There was FrogFoot signage all over, but Vox says on their system shows as SADV.
I'm confused.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Anyone in the Walmer Heights region know if its FrogFoot or SADV?
There was FrogFoot signage all over, but Vox says on their system shows as SADV.
I'm confused.
We are at 70%complete in Walmer Heights, ETC end Sept, but that seems optimistic, make it end OCT to be safe.

Reactions: Yuu

Reaper84

Expert Member
We are at 70%complete in Walmer Heights, ETC end Sept, but that seems optimistic, make it end OCT to be safe.
Hi. Do you know when you guys will be doing Newton Park? Specifically Mowbray/Lucas Street areas. The SADV coverage map is taking ages to load up here at work

pedruid

Expert Member
Greenshields Park went live on 30 September, however, they've brought in contractors to install those little square manholes (1 every 2 houses). working late into evening to play catch up. spoke to one of their guys who was splicing in the back seat of a little Hyundai Getz. front passenger seat removed and small work bench installed. It will be some weeks before they complete these connections. Anyone know someone in this area whose actually hooked up?

pedruid

Expert Member
Afrihost is a great option since they introduced Pure Fibre. I moved onto their 200Mbps option and it's been great. Awesome Clientzone and mobile app as well, plus all the reps here on MyBB and the very good WhatsApp support.
I've been with Afrihost on 10 Mbps ADSL for about 10 years and apart from the bad parch a couple of years ago i\m quite happy.
BTW, did you go with Freshphone?

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I've been with Afrihost on 10 Mbps ADSL for about 10 years and apart from the bad parch a couple of years ago i\m quite happy.
BTW, did you go with Freshphone?
No, it's just a service I recommend to people if it sounds like what they're looking for.

I might sign up soon though. The calling rates to the UK, NZ and Australia are good, and the app can only be more reliable than the Skype one.

That bad patch with Afrihost was very bad, and went on for a long time. I spent a while at Crystal Web, then Cool Ideas and now back at Afrihost. I'll always bail if the service gets bad.

Reaper84

Expert Member
So now I have a white round manhole and a small black square manhole next to each other on the verge as well as a small grey box that someone just decided to place on my wall.

Anyone know who is who here? Can they just place stuff on your wall now without permission?

pedruid

Expert Member
No, it's just a service I recommend to people if it sounds like what they're looking for.

I might sign up soon though. The calling rates to the UK, NZ and Australia are good, and the app can only be more reliable than the Skype one.

That bad patch with Afrihost was very bad, and went on for a long time. I spent a while at Crystal Web, then Cool Ideas and now back at Afrihost. I'll always bail if the service gets bad.
I’m in a quandary. Been very happy with Afrihost but considering going with Vox as they own Frogfoot and should be able to sort out any problem. Having said that I’ve read some shockers on HelloPeter about Vox lack of response to a problem.

Leno

So now I have a white round manhole and a small black square manhole next to each other on the verge as well as a small grey box that someone just decided to place on my wall.

Anyone know who is who here? Can they just place stuff on your wall now without permission?
Interesting question

Telkom (and other ECNS license holders) can by law - place poles etc inside your property in order to provide a telecommunications service (even if its not for you specifically)

Apart from the above, which side of the property line is the box?

pinball wizard

Honorary Master

Sounds like us and frogfoot. PM me your address and I can confirm at least the SADV side of things.

And yes, the act allows us to place a boundary box on the municipality side of your boundary wall.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I’m in a quandary. Been very happy with Afrihost but considering going with Vox as they own Frogfoot and should be able to sort out any problem. Having said that I’ve read some shockers on HelloPeter about Vox lack of response to a problem.
I don't recommend Vox. They don't get much chatter on this forum anywhere due to how many people have left them. Customer support is dire.

Also, Afrihost is excellent nowadays. Loads of support on this forum, and as the biggest ISP in SA they do have clout with the fibre networks. There's no reason to assume you're more likely to have infrastructure issues with them.

pedruid

Expert Member
I don't recommend Vox. They don't get much chatter on this forum anywhere due to how many people have left them. Customer support is dire.

Also, Afrihost is excellent nowadays. Loads of support on this forum, and as the biggest ISP in SA they do have clout with the fibre networks. There's no reason to assume you're more likely to have infrastructure issues with them.
Many thanks for your sound advice Bryn. Do you know that your name translates from welsh to English as “hill”?