thewusman

Expert Member
Frogfoot scheduled to go live in Greenshields Park this month. How have you found Vox?
Excellent - other than the supplied MicroTik HAP AC2 router which is not as good as my ASUS N17U and locked down (can't even change the issued IP address range). Luckily I plugged my ASUS in before the installers came round and it is not MAC address locked-out on the FF network, so ditched the MicroTik.

VOX's network is rock solid.

Consistently get 90mbps on Fast.com fwiw.

Leno

Took a few pics of the micro trenching in Summerstrand by Metrofibre Networks

IMG_1118.jpg
IMG_1119.jpg
IMG_1120.jpg

Leno

I was wondering the same

Maybe as its embedded in cement under the road vs in soil under the side walk where lots of other people will be digging

The first week they were trenching they had this huge truck, almost like those street sweeping machines, I see now its a smaller machine, about the size of a Venter trailer

Reaper84

Expert Member
Does anyone know if the different providers stick to specific colours for their conduit/duct/sleeve etc?

Pretty sure Frogfoot is yellow as they dug up the pavement a couple weeks back and now someone else is digging up the pavement again but they are using white now.

I didnt get a chance to ask the peeps around but my neighbour spoke to someone and they mentioned that after they are done another 2 providers are going to be digging up the pavement again lol. Great planning

ZA_Chamber

Anyone know who is trenching in Newton Park, and it's not Frogfoot? I've had an open trench for a month. Frogfoot denied it was them although they're trenching on the other side of the road from us.

Leno

Does anyone know if the different providers stick to specific colours for their conduit/duct/sleeve etc?

Pretty sure Frogfoot is yellow as they dug up the pavement a couple weeks back and now someone else is digging up the pavement again but they are using white now.

I didnt get a chance to ask the peeps around but my neighbour spoke to someone and they mentioned that after they are done another 2 providers are going to be digging up the pavement again lol. Great planning
In Walmer i'm pretty sure I saw Frogfoot were using blue and white

Yellow sounds like MTN

White could be SADV (smaller white tubes?)

thehuman

Expert Member
Anyone know who is trenching in Newton Park, and it's not Frogfoot? I've had an open trench for a month. Frogfoot denied it was them although they're trenching on the other side of the road from us.
Frogfoot had a Facebook post a while ago about sone company digging in newton park without permission from municipality, maybe chat to your ward counselor about it ?
If i was you would take a shovel and fill that trench tho.

Leno

Could be Dark Fibre Africa, they show some construction in Newton Park on their coverage map

Although DFA are normally quite good and have small signs on the orange fencing

ZA_Chamber

Frogfoot had a Facebook post a while ago about sone company digging in newton park without permission from municipality, maybe chat to your ward counselor about it ?
If i was you would take a shovel and fill that trench tho.
Might do that actually. My main gate gave me some issues and ended up having to park in the street to offload kids. Not safe at all.

Seems like it is some company called Masikane but cannot find a thing on them. Tomorrow is 4 weeks! Trenched and buggered off. Apparently Frogfoot are taking flak for that, but heck...they started trenching across the road from us and everywhere else. We are just left...

ThatOtherDude

Newton Park, Mount Croix and Overbaakens were placed on hold by the municipatility until such time as Summerstrand is finished.
It is now, so work in Newton, Mount Croix and Overbaakens will start-up again shortly.

Leno

Weird, Summerstrand was also on hold for a bit. But I think that was to better manage 3 companies trenching at the same time...

Leno

A warning to anyone who is approached by Blitz in your complex:

We signed with them in November 2018, still not live (told 6 weeks to go live)
They make you sign a exclusivity agreement (36 months)
They installed the CPE in my flat about a month ago and everything has already fallen off the wall (trunking held on by a small bit of tape every 1m!)

So we could have had the choice of Vodacom, SADV, Metrofibre and Openserve who are now live in our area

Unfortunately at the time they were the only people who actually returned calls

Glordit

Expert Member

Spoke to some one this morning about it.

From what I understand Frogfoot seems to sub-contract some people to do work for them. The woman I spoke to said she was responsible for installing PVC piping and the box your fiber comes out of. As for the different colour cables, here in Newton Park I have seen Black, White, Yellow and sometimes even Green. They all seem to be frogfoot? It could be someone else but they claimed to be working for them.

At our house, we have one cable running right next to our wall, which ends right at our property (we live on a corner) and another in the middle of the pavement which runs to the corner and up the street.

They have been installing boxes on walls all over Newton Park (should get ours done tomorrow) and hopefully they connect everything up soon.

thehuman

Expert Member
Frogfoot started digging in my street, they going to struggle to put box on the wall the , 50% of properties here have no front fence.

Leno

Looked inside a large Frogfoot manhole in Summerstrand yesterday and they were using blue for the main pipe.

Inside that pipe is all different colour smaller pipes (also seen in my pics above from metrofibre's micro trenching) which branch off to the smaller manholes or boxes

So with the FTTH companies you will probably see various colour small pipes (they are trenching to end users), while the backbone/business companies will probably stick to one colour

We should make a wiki page to try track it :p

I winced the other day when one of the companies was trying to blow the fibre through the pipes, apparently another company damaged their pipes so they had to manually pull 4km of fibre through every manhole (every 1/2 blocks)

Leno

Blitz have sold their network in PE...
Yeah Frogfoot is supplying the backbone links for the Summerstrand apartments that went with Blitz (we meant to be DFA), but we are still dealing with Blitz itself as customers still

Do you know who they sold it to? Frogfoot themselvs?

Would love Frogfoots pricing compared to Blitz :p