Leno

would be interesting to compare the pings on various isp's and fibre networks

We can then see who goes via CT or JHB from PE

thewusman

Expert Member
Still waiting for Sundridge Park Fernglen 1.3 to go live.

Was initially June, now delayed (for the 3rd time) to end August.

Sigh.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Thats more than double what I get!o_O

Ping: 12ms
Download: 903.94Mbps
Upload: 940.73Mbps
12ms in PE is pretty insane though to be fair. My 200Mbps Openserve fibre is around 23ms for most connections.

That's in Walmer. At my previous address in Mill Park it was a bit better at a smidgen under 20ms. What area of PE are you in? You must surely be very close to the break out point to get 12ms to Cape Town. Unless Frogfoot is just blazing fast for most areas.

Based on Frogfoot's slow rate of progress in Walmer I'm assuming it will be several months before service is available for me. Not a problem with Openserve being available though.

russellO

Did you use a speed test? Because I know some of them can give you wildy different results at times.
I was playing with Ookla and MyBroadband speed tests.

I applied to Vox to get access to the router and changed the DNS servers to point to CloudFlare 1.1.1.1 (instead of their DNS) and now my ping is 13-15ms on the speed tests. I ran it a few times to make sure.

Happier now.

Leno

I was playing with Ookla and MyBroadband speed tests.

I applied to Vox to get access to the router and changed the DNS servers to point to CloudFlare 1.1.1.1 (instead of their DNS) and now my ping is 13-15ms on the speed tests. I ran it a few times to make sure.

Happier now.
Any chance you know how to run a MTR or traceroute to 1.1.1.1 or something else local? :)

russellO

Any chance you know how to run a MTR or traceroute to 1.1.1.1 or something else local? :)
If I did it properly, tracert to 1.1.1.1 was between 12 - 17 ms across all hops. tracert to www.vox.co.za was 30 - 33 ms across hops and then a tracert to www.vox.co.za on (my soon to be extinct) VDSL was 55 - 57 ms across hops.

Sound right? on SADV

PhireSide

Executive Member
I'm in Beverley Grove, must say it's a huge improvement going from 40Mbit/s VDSL that drops every other minute to 1Gbit/s. On VDSL my ping use to be 42ms.
What a throwback. My family used to stay in Benfleur Ave back in the 90's and early 2000's before they moved to another town :)

pedruid

Expert Member
12ms in PE is pretty insane though to be fair. My 200Mbps Openserve fibre is around 23ms for most connections.

That's in Walmer. At my previous address in Mill Park it was a bit better at a smidgen under 20ms. What area of PE are you in? You must surely be very close to the break out point to get 12ms to Cape Town. Unless Frogfoot is just blazing fast for most areas.

Based on Frogfoot's slow rate of progress in Walmer I'm assuming it will be several months before service is available for me. Not a problem with Openserve being available though.
Bryn, what do you use for phone calls?

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Bryn, what do you use for phone calls?
My cellphone. ;)

The voice line is from Telkom though. Considering ditching it and getting a Fresh Phone instead.

- freshphone.co.za if you're interested.

Groggyme

I have been trying so damn hard to get hold of SADV. My area is covered by fibre except for the small area around my complex. The rest of the street is live on SADVs map and we even have a branded SADV duct/manhole right outside the complex so I dont understand what is going on.

Leno

I have been trying so damn hard to get hold of SADV. My area is covered by fibre except for the small area around my complex. The rest of the street is live on SADVs map and we even have a branded SADV duct/manhole right outside the complex so I dont understand what is going on.
Could be that your body corporate did not get back to them or denied them permission etc

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
That's a very bad sign. Fibre installers love complexes. If yours does not have then you can be sure your body corporate told them to GTFO.

robass

I had the same issue , found out from body corporate who preferred fibre providers are and contact them , my complex only uses Africonnect and Blitz fibre