PhireSide

Executive Member
Axxess, with Fibre via Frogfoot:

1560180175754.png

Frogfoot website:

1560180230225.png

Shall I take the chance and order? :ROFL:

IVTEC

Frogfoot signs went up in Mangold Park / Walmer downs area, together with letters in the residents mail informing us about the digging up and the laying of the fibre process.
The digging has officially began.

Reactions: Yuu

HeroNextDoor

Let me share my experience with Frogfoot fibre on MacroLan (Seacom Western Cape) so far in PE.

Sorry for any mistakes I made in spelling it is early morning and I am fairly tired.

4th of March I signed up for fibre with Cool Ideas. (pre-order). After struggling with them until Apr 8th where I finally decided to cancel my application due to their extremely poor support I have received until then.

The hunt was on for a capable ISP, I did some research and found myself between MacroLan and Cape Connect. After speaking to both of them the person I spoke to at MacroLan seemed more knowledgeable, I then decided to place an order with them (a pdf they send you, you then need to print it, fill it in, scan it and email it back to them) a bit stupid but nevertheless we went through with the signup for a gbit uncapped connection, this was on the 11th of April.

I received a confirmation that the order is now being processed :

Thank you for the order

Documents received , I will now follow the below process

- Finance will load you on the system
- Projects team will place the order with Frogfoot
- We will activate and deliver Router
On the 15th of April I received the following email, notifying me that Seacom acquired MacroLan :

Dear MacroLan customer,
Following SEACOM’s acquisition of MacroLan, the MacroLan office and team have become an integral part of SEACOM’s growing expansion, and have been rebranded as “SEACOM Western Cape”.

Aside from the name and branding, and of course the access to Africa’s largest data network, nothing else is going to change.

SEACOM Western Cape will continue to support you as a customer, and will continue to oversee the expansion of fibre infrastructure across the country for business customers of all sizes, as well as for FTTH customers.

We will continue to offer businesses an unparalleled range of high-quality services with a vastly improved value proposition, due to Macrolan’s integration into SEACOM’s high-speed and scaleable data transmission capabilities. SEACOM Western Cape will remain under the same leadership and continue to prioritise service excellence as it has always done.

However, you should expect to receive billing and communication from SEACOM Western Cape in the near future.

We are confident that this newly combined entity boasts solutions and services in line with the growth plans of your business as you expand within Cape Town and beyond.

Should you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

I submitted a ticket on the 14th of June (The date my area went live) asking if I can get an installation date since the area is now live. I still have not received a reply to that ticket other than the automated response stating the mail has been received.

I replied to the initial signup email Tuesday the 18th of June stating that I have not received a reply to my ticket since Friday, to which they replied :

Good day [hidden],

I have requested an update from Frogfoot as to lead times for your installation. I will advise as soon as I received feedback.

Please be advised that our email addresses will be changing to @seacom.mu. Once the change is made we will continue to receive emails on our @macrolan.com addresses.

Kind Regards,
[hidden]
I then mailed them Wednesday to ask how long it will take to confirm a date with Frogfoot, I got no reply. I then called Frogfoot, they were very helpful I spoke to the MacroLan ISP representative on their side and she gave me the number of Yonke Installations CC which does the installations in Port Elizabeth, and said that they would contact me within the next few days to arrange an installation date and time. I thanked her for her time and help. The next morning I got a call from Yonke Installations CC asking when they can come install the fibre, we confirmed for the next morning at 9am. I then informed MacroLan that the contractor contacted me to confirm a date and time, I also attached the email Yonke Installations CC sent me, which included a picture of the Contractor which will be doing the installation, and the time he will be doing the installation.

Friday June 21st, Yonke Installations CC arrived earlier than expected 8:30 instead of 9:00 to start the trenching from the boundary wall to the house. (which I was very happy with) They completed trenching and laying the fibre from the black box outside to the fibre cpe inside of the house at 12:40, at 12:40 the fibre Splicing started

963d6048-d49e-4274-b389-4ab7e673e99f.jpg

After the splicing was done we went back to the CPE and tested the strength
69ae8519-ca84-4536-96c8-39d48ee16200.jpg

After that was done he contacted Frogfoot to activate the line, this took around 15 minutes, he attempted to do it online but it failed due to the black box not being captured into the database, so it first had to be captured then activated. After about 10 mins The Service light became illuminated and he informed me that the line is now active and I can phone to ISP to get the PPPOE login details.

b4d2b947-5f0a-4a65-9f9b-336d7b880d2a.jpg

I then contacted the ISP, to get the details where the first technician did not seem to know what he was doing, he said that he will mail it to me within the next 5 minutes, after an hour and a half I phoned again and spoke to someone that seemed more competent, he informed me that he will have to walk over to the projects team because there is only one lady in and she is not answering the phone, he said that I would receive the details within 15 minutes, after about 20 minutes I received a call from him saying that he doesn't know how Frogfoot planned their network roll out but there is no cable between Port Elizabeth and Durban. I then asked him how can all the other people in PE connect fine, he then explained he will take it up with management but it won't be any time soon, since Seacom was experiencing some sort of VOIP issue and their main focus was getting that sorted.

I then asked to speak to someone so I can move the line to another ISP, that could actually get me connected, he transferred me to someone else and as I started explaining the situation the person hung up on me and I was asked to leave a voicemail, I then pressed * to speak to the operator and asked her to transfer me back to someone so I can get this resolved. I once again ended up with the guy I just spoke to regarding the issues. I asked him to still send me the details so that I can test and make sure it doesn't work. After about 20 minutes I had received the most weirdest login details I've come across. name-suburb-city@isp. I entered the details into the router and attempted the connection without any success, he called me back as I had entered the details the second time to confirm if it was working or not and said he had spoken to Frogfoot and apparently the cable linking PE to Durban had been installed already.

Special mention must go to Yonke Installations CC on an amazing installation and turn around time, these guys are on the ball! Also to the MacroLan representative working for Frogfoot, I forgot her name but wow she got more done in 2 minutes than MacroLan did in a couple of months.

My experience so far with a MacroLan 1gbit on Frogfoot!

So I will keep you all updated on the situation.

TLDR : MacroLan is unable to offer me internet so far. Yonke Installations CC did a fantastic job with the installation and Frogfoot seems to be helpful when I needed them.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
@HeroNextDoor Thanks for the feedback. Always interesting to see how others get on. I didn't realise so many areas in PE were live on Frogfoot until I checked their coverage map now.

I already have Openserve fibre in Walmer, but once the Yonke people are done with my area I'll switch over for the symmetric download and upload speeds. Half the street still has open trenches, so who knows how much longer. The installation crew is pretty big at least.

Not going with Cool Ideas seems like a mistake to me. Sure, their customer service could be better. But the important thing is how rock solid their network is. And the support on MyBB from them is quite good. I've been with them since getting Openserve fibre at my previous Mill Park address and they've been great the whole time.

HeroNextDoor

Let me share my experience with Frogfoot fibre on MacroLan (Seacom Western Cape) so far in PE.

Sorry for any mistakes I made in spelling it is early morning and I am fairly tired.

4th of March I signed up for fibre with Cool Ideas. (pre-order). After struggling with them until Apr 8th where I finally decided to cancel my application due to their extremely poor support I have received until then.

The hunt was on for a capable ISP, I did some research and found myself between MacroLan and Cape Connect. After speaking to both of them the person I spoke to at MacroLan seemed more knowledgeable, I then decided to place an order with them (a pdf they send you, you then need to print it, fill it in, scan it and email it back to them) a bit stupid but nevertheless we went through with the signup for a gbit uncapped connection, this was on the 11th of April.

I received a confirmation that the order is now being processed :

On the 15th of April I received the following email, notifying me that Seacom acquired MacroLan :

I submitted a ticket on the 14th of June (The date my area went live) asking if I can get an installation date since the area is now live. I still have not received a reply to that ticket other than the automated response stating the mail has been received.

I replied to the initial signup email Tuesday the 18th of June stating that I have not received a reply to my ticket since Friday, to which they replied :

I then mailed them Wednesday to ask how long it will take to confirm a date with Frogfoot, I got no reply. I then called Frogfoot, they were very helpful I spoke to the MacroLan ISP representative on their side and she gave me the number of Yonke Installations CC which does the installations in Port Elizabeth, and said that they would contact me within the next few days to arrange an installation date and time. I thanked her for her time and help. The next morning I got a call from Yonke Installations CC asking when they can come install the fibre, we confirmed for the next morning at 9am. I then informed MacroLan that the contractor contacted me to confirm a date and time, I also attached the email Yonke Installations CC sent me, which included a picture of the Contractor which will be doing the installation, and the time he will be doing the installation.

Friday June 21st, Yonke Installations CC arrived earlier than expected 8:30 instead of 9:00 to start the trenching from the boundary wall to the house. (which I was very happy with) They completed trenching and laying the fibre from the black box outside to the fibre cpe inside of the house at 12:40, at 12:40 the fibre Splicing started

View attachment 675769

After the splicing was done we went back to the CPE and tested the strength
View attachment 675771

After that was done he contacted Frogfoot to activate the line, this took around 15 minutes, he attempted to do it online but it failed due to the black box not being captured into the database, so it first had to be captured then activated. After about 10 mins The Service light became illuminated and he informed me that the line is now active and I can phone to ISP to get the PPPOE login details.

View attachment 675773

I then contacted the ISP, to get the details where the first technician did not seem to know what he was doing, he said that he will mail it to me within the next 5 minutes, after an hour and a half I phoned again and spoke to someone that seemed more competent, he informed me that he will have to walk over to the projects team because there is only one lady in and she is not answering the phone, he said that I would receive the details within 15 minutes, after about 20 minutes I received a call from him saying that he doesn't know how Frogfoot planned their network roll out but there is no cable between Port Elizabeth and Durban. I then asked him how can all the other people in PE connect fine, he then explained he will take it up with management but it won't be any time soon, since Seacom was experiencing some sort of VOIP issue and their main focus was getting that sorted.

I then asked to speak to someone so I can move the line to another ISP, that could actually get me connected, he transferred me to someone else and as I started explaining the situation the person hung up on me and I was asked to leave a voicemail, I then pressed * to speak to the operator and asked her to transfer me back to someone so I can get this resolved. I once again ended up with the guy I just spoke to regarding the issues. I asked him to still send me the details so that I can test and make sure it doesn't work. After about 20 minutes I had received the most weirdest login details I've come across. name-suburb-city@isp. I entered the details into the router and attempted the connection without any success, he called me back as I had entered the details the second time to confirm if it was working or not and said he had spoken to Frogfoot and apparently the cable linking PE to Durban had been installed already.

Special mention must go to Yonke Installations CC on an amazing installation and turn around time, these guys are on the ball! Also to the MacroLan representative working for Frogfoot, I forgot her name but wow she got more done in 2 minutes than MacroLan did in a couple of months.

My experience so far with a MacroLan 1gbit on Frogfoot!

So I will keep you all updated on the situation.

TLDR : MacroLan is unable to offer me internet so far. Yonke Installations CC did a fantastic job with the installation and Frogfoot seems to be helpful when I needed them.

So after getting transferred all over the place, the official response from MacroLan is that there is no inter-network cable linking MacroLan and Frogfoots on the Port Elizabeth network, MacroLan has taken this up with Frogfoots so now I wait..

Groggyme

So it seems there is a small delay in the Frogfoot rollout in Charlo/Broadwood. Was slated to go live 28 June 2019 and it appears to be pushed back to 19 July on their site.

HeroNextDoor

So The Problem was not with MacroLan but with Frogfoots. All sorted now tho.

Well done to Garth for all the help one HAPPY customer!!

1561728106993.png

russellO

So SADV has been live since mid June in Charlo/Broadwood but none of the ISP reps mention it or punt it? They all punting Frogfoot, which isn't live, actually not even finished yet. There are still main cables sticking out of some pavements. The Vox rep specifically said No, they on Frogfoot not SADV but you can signup online at Vox using SADV network.

Monka

So SADV has been live since mid June in Charlo/Broadwood but none of the ISP reps mention it or punt it? They all punting Frogfoot, which isn't live, actually not even finished yet. There are still main cables sticking out of some pavements. The Vox rep specifically said No, they on Frogfoot not SADV but you can signup online at Vox using SADV network.
Please PM your details and i can assist you with Vox

PhireSide

Executive Member
I noticed Frogfoot signs up near Walker Drive / Kabega Road intersection this morning.

Hopefully FTTH reaches our complex before I die of old age

Reaper84

Expert Member
My area has changed form Planned to WIP on Frogfoot's map. Looking at Cool Ideas as an ISP when its ready. Allows me to pre order now as well :giggle:

moorsh

Don't get too excited ... Frogfoot went 'live' in my area almost 3 weeks ago & they came to install in my house today ... only to be told after installation that they can't can't activate it yet because the street isn't live yet ... with all the other delays I'm starting to think Frogfoot is bit of a joke ...

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
My area has changed form Planned to WIP on Frogfoot's map. Looking at Cool Ideas as an ISP when its ready. Allows me to pre order now as well :giggle:
I recommend Afrihost now that they've launched their new Pure Fibre packages.

My data account with them has been live less than an hour. Latency and speeds are excellent. Once my line has migrated the speed will double from 100 to 200Mbps. This is on Openserve though, so Frogfoot should be even better.

The Afrihost Clientzone and Android app are nothing short of phenomenal. Telephonic customer support has been good so far.

Reaper84

Expert Member
I recommend Afrihost now that they've launched their new Pure Fibre packages.

My data account with them has been live less than an hour. Latency and speeds are excellent. Once my line has migrated the speed will double from 100 to 200Mbps. This is on Openserve though, so Frogfoot should be even better.

The Afrihost Clientzone and Android app are nothing short of phenomenal. Telephonic customer support has been good so far.
Thanks for the info and recommendation. I was looking at them as well but thought Cool Ideas was one of the best and they cost around the same. Are you getting better latency on Afrihost now than on Cool Ideas?

Glordit

Expert Member
Newton Park is apparently coming in August. Can finally get rid of the 4mb DSL.

e: Just checked the map. I am right in the middle of Work in Progress and Planned - NO ETA.

Last edited: