Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Thanks for the info and recommendation. I was looking at them as well but thought Cool Ideas was one of the best and they cost around the same. Are you getting better latency on Afrihost now than on Cool Ideas?
Cool Ideas are probably the other best option atm. I was with them, but I'm seeing slightly lower latency on Afrihost. The main reason I switched was doubling the speed at the same cost.

Novoca1ne

For those that want to know:

Have Frogfoot Vox 100/100mbps up and running - didn't go with CI because of slow support. 155ms international EU. 15ms local. Speed tests are 95mbps down / 95mpbs up. Multi threaded to international London Coreix. Single threaded is 40/40mbps. Doesn't bother me to be honest. Twitch streams perfectly from source. 4k Netflix runs perfectly too.

Haven't been playing games but everything seems fine - much more stable pings. No sign of packet loss either. But then again, I haven't been running hectic tests other than "basic needs" tests. Games I tried are: Dota, GW2, Forza 7. Forza 7 will allow me to host games now.

Locked out of Vox's router (they supply you with Mikrotik hEX - I think that's the model - and a Mitrotik AP - it sucks) so I bought a Ubiquiti Edgerouter X - haven't installed it yet because I am waiting for the household to be empty before I configure etc but the Miktrotik stuff is working fine. With the insane amount of sport recently it is quite hard to find downtime.

Our driveway was repaired well too - Yonke construction.

PM me for area if you're interested in knowing.

Last edited:

Glordit

Expert Member
For those that want to know:

Have Frogfoot Vox 100/100mbps up and running - didn't go with CI because of slow support. 155ms international EU. 15ms local. Speed tests are 95mbps down / 95mpbs up. Multi threaded to international London Coreix. Single threaded is 40/40mbps. Doesn't bother me to be honest. Twitch streams perfectly from source. 4k Netflix runs perfectly too.

Haven't been playing games but everything seems fine - much more stable pings. No sign of packet loss either. But then again, I haven't been running hectic tests other than "basic needs" tests. Games I tried are: Dota, GW2, Forza 7. Forza 7 will allow me to host games now.

Locked out of Vox's router (they supply you with Mikrotik hEX - I think that's the model - and a Mitrotik AP - it sucks) so I bought a Ubiquiti Edgerouter X - haven't installed it yet because I am waiting for the household to be empty before I configure etc but the Miktrotik stuff is working fine. With the insane amount of sport recently it is quite hard to find downtime.

Our driveway was repaired well too - Yonke construction.

PM me for area if you're interested in knowing.
Did you go for capped or uncapped?

I see VOX has pro uncapped and a normal uncapped but I can't find any info on the differences.

Novoca1ne

Did you go for capped or uncapped?

I see VOX has pro uncapped and a normal uncapped but I can't find any info on the differences.
On pro uncapped. Using the Vobi thing too.

No real difference between pro uncapped and normal uncapped as far as I know. I think it's only the value added stuff such as the uncapped voice calling plus a few other things.

Glordit

Expert Member
I think the difference is the upload speed and voice calling.
I don't think it's dependant on upload speeds. But it definitely is the voice calling. I can choose many different speeds from 10/10 to 100/10 100/100 and even 50/5, 50/50 or 10000/1000. I think it's more to do with the free calls. Thanks for responding though. I did eventually come right.

On pro uncapped. Using the Vobi thing too.

No real difference between pro uncapped and normal uncapped as far as I know. I think it's only the value added stuff such as the uncapped voice calling plus a few other things.
Awesome, thanks!

The website and the brochure I was given yesterday made me slightly confused. So I did a little digging around on the website and the brochure (It looked like the Poppy Harlow scene from Always Sunny) but I eventually worked it all out out by playing around with websites pricing and packages.

The Basic is about ~R250 less than the Pro and the Pro comes with uncapped calls which cost around ~R250 if you wanted it as an extra. Which then makes the home package a pro package. Confusing I know.

I'll then probably take a 20/2 or 10/10 with pro package.

IVTEC

I don't think it's dependant on upload speeds. But it definitely is the voice calling. I can choose many different speeds from 10/10 to 100/10 100/100 and even 50/5, 50/50 or 10000/1000. I think it's more to do with the free calls. Thanks for responding though. I did eventually come right.

Awesome, thanks!

The website and the brochure I was given yesterday made me slightly confused. So I did a little digging around on the website and the brochure (It looked like the Poppy Harlow scene from Always Sunny) but I eventually worked it all out out by playing around with websites pricing and packages.

The Basic is about ~R250 less than the Pro and the Pro comes with uncapped calls which cost around ~R250 if you wanted it as an extra. Which then makes the home package a pro package. Confusing I know.

I'll then probably take a 20/2 or 10/10 with pro package.
Vox was doing the rounds in my area yesterday as well. When I compare the pricing from the other ISP's, I cannot understand why there is so big price difference. Accelerit Uncapped 20/20mbps is R653. Where Vox is R770 for the same speeds. Whats the catch ?

Groggyme

Vox was doing the rounds in my area yesterday as well. When I compare the pricing from the other ISP's, I cannot understand why there is so big price difference. Accelerit Uncapped 20/20mbps is R653. Where Vox is R770 for the same speeds. Whats the catch ?
Yeah I see the Accelerit 20/20 uncapped is R653. I might just jump on that when my area goes live.

russellO

Don't get too excited ... Frogfoot went 'live' in my area almost 3 weeks ago & they came to install in my house today ... only to be told after installation that they can't can't activate it yet because the street isn't live yet ... with all the other delays I'm starting to think Frogfoot is bit of a joke ...
I pre-ordered with Afrihost on Frogfoot and the live date was pushed back too many times for my liking so I cancelled and ordered online with Vox on SADV.

russellO

My order with Vox on SADV: Placed the order Wednesday morning, had a call Thursday afternoon to schedule site inspection, Friday afternoon they did the site inspection and planning, Tuesday the Telelanga team did the installation and activation (very neatly done), Wednesday morning the Vox technicians were here and it was all done and dusted in about 15/20 minutes. Really happy with their service.

I ordered the 20/20 package on SADV for R699 but I've already changed my mind and placed an order to upgrade to 50/50. I'm getting a 28ms ping with 19.2 down and 19.3 up on the MyBB speedtest. I thought the ping would've been better as I get the same on my VDSL. Oh well.

Groggyme

Frogfoot just pushed back the completion date for Charlo (Springfield 1.2) again. Completion date was first the 28 June, then 19 July now its 30 July.... I expect them to push back further to be honest... it seems like this is the norm.

robass

My order with Vox on SADV: Placed the order Wednesday morning, had a call Thursday afternoon to schedule site inspection, Friday afternoon they did the site inspection and planning, Tuesday the Telelanga team did the installation and activation (very neatly done), Wednesday morning the Vox technicians were here and it was all done and dusted in about 15/20 minutes. Really happy with their service.

I ordered the 20/20 package on SADV for R699 but I've already changed my mind and placed an order to upgrade to 50/50. I'm getting a 28ms ping with 19.2 down and 19.3 up on the MyBB speedtest. I thought the ping would've been better as I get the same on my VDSL. Oh well.
Hi Russell , just a quick question . I have applied for a 20down 20 up fibre line . I have no experience with fibre (existing Igen customer running a 6meg speed) . Currently living on my own and its been fine . My son is coming to live with me soon , will the 20meg speed be quick enough to stream youtube /DSTV now and enable him to game online at the same time ?

russellO

Hi Russell , just a quick question . I have applied for a 20down 20 up fibre line . I have no experience with fibre (existing Igen customer running a 6meg speed) . Currently living on my own and its been fine . My son is coming to live with me soon , will the 20meg speed be quick enough to stream youtube /DSTV now and enable him to game online at the same time ?
Definitely! 20mb is perfect for most households. You only need to go higher if you streaming 4K netflix or have big families maybe streaming multiple things at the same time.

I've only had fibre for a few days but on my old 20mb VDSL line (same speed), I'd be working with multiple software apps open and my wife would be browsing the internet and/or using photo/video intensive apps while our son was watching DSTV/Netflix without any problems. I've even downloaded big software updates while they were watching, and had no complaints.

russellO

Frogfoot just pushed back the completion date for Charlo (Springfield 1.2) again. Completion date was first the 28 June, then 19 July now its 30 July.... I expect them to push back further to be honest... it seems like this is the norm.
I had a sneaky feeling it would happen. There were cables sticking out all over the show and they doing too many suburbs at the same time. Finish one properly and then move on.

russellO

Thats more than double what I get!o_O

Ping: 12ms
Download: 903.94Mbps
Upload: 940.73Mbps
Nice. I don't play games so it doesn't 'really' bother me.

The Vox technicians that set everything up did some speed tests so I assumed it was normal.

Maybe I should drop Vox/SADV a email and see.

pedruid

Expert Member
That’s interesting. I live in Greenshields Park where they are planned to light up in August. Maybe I should ask them ?”which year”.