Glordit

Expert Member
Right now for Newton Park 1.4 I am guessing it's a "before the end of the year" scenario.

At least I have this shitty Telkom Internet, which is better than nothing.

Reaper84

Expert Member
Right now for Newton Park 1.4 I am guessing it's a "before the end of the year" scenario.

At least I have this shitty Telkom Internet, which is better than nothing.
Is your area at least WIP on the map yet? My area(Newton Park 1.6) has been WIP for about a month now and today I saw a completion date of 20 December which might change as well.

pedruid

Expert Member
12ms in PE is pretty insane though to be fair. My 200Mbps Openserve fibre is around 23ms for most connections.

That's in Walmer. At my previous address in Mill Park it was a bit better at a smidgen under 20ms. What area of PE are you in? You must surely be very close to the break out point to get 12ms to Cape Town. Unless Frogfoot is just blazing fast for most areas.

Based on Frogfoot's slow rate of progress in Walmer I'm assuming it will be several months before service is available for me. Not a problem with Openserve being available though.
Hi Bryn, pity that MickeyD is not longer with us, top man.
This probably a stupid question but can you tell me whether fibre comes from a different location than ADSL. I’m currently on 10 Mbps ADSL and as it’s a 367 # comes from Adams Road. Frogfoot is layin in my area of Greenshields Park and I’m curious to know where this comes from.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Hi Bryn, pity that MickeyD is not longer with us, top man.
This probably a stupid question but can you tell me whether fibre comes from a different location than ADSL. I’m currently on 10 Mbps ADSL and as it’s a 367 # comes from Adams Road. Frogfoot is layin in my area of Greenshields Park and I’m curious to know where this comes from.
It's a private fibre network, so it could be anywhere. Might be an Openserve partnership with the same breakout point or totally independent.

As far as I'm aware, Openserve fibre uses the same Telkom buildings around town to house its equipment.

Maybe someone here knows the details of how Frogfoot is configuring their PE network.

Edit: And yeah, real bummer MickeyD up and left us. I would never have had Openserve fibre in Mill Park (previous address) without Laurence, thanks to a major f**k up in the ordering system. The system somehow acknowledged but didn't store my order (the very first one placed, thanks to a heads up from Laurence), so any attempt to place it again gave an error that the address is already in the waiting list. Some high up regional manager had to intervene to get it sorted. He seemed to have connections with everyone in PE. He was even great with security issues, as a founder and integral member of many of the Neighbourhood Watch programs with a bunch of current and former cop friends.

Fortunately my current Walmer address didn't have issues with the Openserve installation.

Last edited:

pedruid

Expert Member
It's a private fibre network, so it could be anywhere. Might be an Openserve partnership with the same breakout point or totally independent.

As far as I'm aware, Openserve fibre uses the same Telkom buildings around town to house its equipment.

Maybe someone here knows the details of how Frogfoot is configuring their PE network.

Edit: And yeah, real bummer MickeyD up and left us. I would never have had Openserve fibre in Mill Park (previous address) without Laurence, thanks to a major f**k up in the ordering system. The system somehow acknowledged but didn't store my order (the very first one placed, thanks to a heads up from Laurence), so any attempt to place it again gave an error that the address is already in the waiting list. Some high up regional manager had to intervene to get it sorted. He seemed to have connections with everyone in PE. He was even great with security issues, as a founder and integral member of many of the Neighbourhood Watch programs with a bunch of current and former cop friends.

Fortunately my current Walmer address didn't have issues with the Openserve installation.
Thanks for that Bryn.

Glordit

Expert Member
Is your area at least WIP on the map yet? My area(Newton Park 1.6) has been WIP for about a month now and today I saw a completion date of 20 December which might change as well.
I just checked now, it also says:

Newton Park 1.4

Forecast Build Completion: 20/Dec/2019

$m@Rt@$$

Expert Member
So my frogfoot is finally live. 100/100 running very nice. Latency is about 12ms to Cape Town.

Leno

Think he means SADV, MFN and Blitz busy installing in Summerstrand

We have been waiting since November with Blitz, backbone link is the problem but things look like they are nearly done

Leno

Frogfoot was also doing stuff in Summerstrand, but it seems they pulled out, maybe due to the above 3 plus Vodacom and Openserve in the area

thehuman

Expert Member
Frogfoot was also doing stuff in Summerstrand, but it seems they pulled out, maybe due to the above 3 plus Vodacom and Openserve in the area
Asume they will prioritize areas with no fibre 1st

thewusman

Expert Member
FrogFoot coming to install and trench at my house Monday. On Vox 100/100 uncapped pro.

Exciting times.

(Fernglen 1.3)

thewusman

Expert Member
FrogFoot coming to install and trench at my house Monday. On Vox 100/100 uncapped pro.

Exciting times.

(Fernglen 1.3)
Up and running.

13ms to 14ms pings to CT Speedtests.

Maxing out at around 94mbps to SAIX, and 90 on FAST.com

Very impressed with VOX/FrogFoot.

Long may this last.