Anyone having issues with Telkom fibre today? The optical light on my modem has turned red. It was green and was working great when I woke up at 7.
Tried resetting it but it didn't help. Checked the fibre line outside as well and there's no damage so I'm stumped.
 
Map was updated from light to dark purple for parts of Greenways rd, Lovemore heights
 
As an end user not directly

It looks like Cool Idea's ISP is using DFA to supply FTTH

https://www.cisp.co.za/ftth/dfa-residential/

Perhaps if their rep sees this he could give more details?

I would imagine they would need a certain number of signups as they would invest in some infrastructure eg GPON for the last 1/4 mile etc
Only over the respective estates as mentioned, Parkview and a few buuldings. The rest of their network is for business and carrier unfortunately.
 
I see Cape Marina, The Cascades, A Townhouse near Gommery Cres in Summerstrand have all disappeared from the coverage map

Perhaps an error?
 

Damn! Someone(friend there) did mention that P.E. is "slow" and whara whara "friendly". Thanx MickeyD,just before I sign off, what does "Future Fibre" mean? Basing my question on a random check on the openserve coverage map after my post and result attached.

Openserve   Fibre.png
 
Damn! Someone(friend there) did mention that P.E. is "slow" and whara whara "friendly". Thanx MickeyD,just before I sign off, what does "Future Fibre" mean? Basing my question on a random check on the openserve coverage map after my post and result attached.


No clue on their new product names nowadays!!
 
Damn! Someone(friend there) did mention that P.E. is "slow" and whara whara "friendly". Thanx MickeyD,just before I sign off, what does "Future Fibre" mean? Basing my question on a random check on the openserve coverage map after my post and result attached.

View attachment 447356

Looks like they planning or busy installing the backbone in your area, can take a few months to finish
 
UPDATE

The whole of Amsterdamhoek and Bluewaterbay will soon be cut over to FTTH !!!!!!!!

Openserve are busy there RIGHT NOW.

Damn! Someone(friend there) did mention that P.E. is "slow" and whara whara "friendly". Thanx MickeyD,just before I sign off, what does "Future Fibre" mean? Basing my question on a random check on the openserve coverage map after my post and result attached.

View attachment 447356
 
Anyone in Mill Park / Newton Park / Linkside having issues?

About three weeks ago, some geniuses cut the cables coming from the exchange. There was no connectivity for almost a week. It happened again on Monday around 5 o'clock. Service came back today, but it's all over the place. Upload is around 11kb/s, it used to be around 550-600kb/s. Download is around 700-900, down from a rock solid 1.1MB/s that I had before.

I don't understand who's doing this? If it was just about trying to steal cables, you think they would have learned the first time.
 
Aww yeah!

6454537859.png


Don't know if I should be proud of the "faster than 96% of SA", or very, very sad at the state of our connectivity in this country.
 
I live in Winterhoek Park, Uitenhage.
In April, they were laying fibre cables in our street.
I checked the openserve coverage map regularly, but our area was always indicated as future fibre on the map
last Monday, I noticed the light purple finally changed to dark purple on the map but it was still labeled as future fibre.
On Wednesday I noticed the future fibre changed to fibre, so I rang Webafrica to order
Thursday, I got a call from Openserve, offering to send out a technician on Friday
I had to work, so the technician came out on Saturday to complete the installation
Pretty impressed with their prompt service
 
So I've pursued the Dark Fiber Africa route. It's a no go unless you have massive disposable :p

Like everyone said, the map is of their backbone. If you want to tap that backbone it will cost you about R40k/pm for a 100mpbs 1:1 contention. At least your speeds are guaranteed :D
 
On another note, to the lucky ****s who already have fiber in PE, what sort of ping/latency are you guys getting to Cape Town and Johannesburg?
 
On another note, to the lucky ****s who already have fiber in PE, what sort of ping/latency are you guys getting to Cape Town and Johannesburg?

Indeed guess it is what it is.
Seriously? I post my own user experience, just like I did when I was with Telkom Internet since dial-up days. Right now I have an issue with speed tests reflecting different results but it has not impacted my service. I have raised it with CW as it would appear to be a peering issue somewhere... am waiting for feedback. see for yourself:


Ookla tests

6462095778.png


6462098910.png


6462085369.png


6462102206.png


MyBB tests

https://speedtest.mybroadband.co.za/result/2108255
Scan_1844.jpg

https://speedtest.mybroadband.co.za/result/2108280
Scan_1845.jpg
 
Last edited:
Can a fiber line also be on an interleaving setting? The ping on my ADSL line is in the same range as MickeyD's, but when I am on fastpath I get just below 20ms ping (for a week and then it sadly resets back to interleaving). I was under the impression that fiber ping will at least be below 20ms ... or was I wrong?
 
Can a fiber line also be on an interleaving setting? The ping on my ADSL line is in the same range as MickeyD's, but when I am on fastpath I get just below 20ms ping (for a week and then it sadly resets back to interleaving). I was under the impression that fiber ping will at least be below 20ms ... or was I wrong?
Depends on the network operator...
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X