Good letting agents

Geriatrix

Executive Member
I want to rent out a flat but don't have time to spend time with chasing rent and dealing with dead beat tenants or all the other little time consumers involved with being a landlord.

Can any of you suggest a good letting agent that you personally have experience with? Joburg area btw,

Also, how do they work and what would my involvement be?

CharlieBravo

Dont use Just letting they are rubbish. I had to spend thousands repairing a unit because they did not follow up on the entry and exit reports, which by the way they charge about R400 for each on top of the normal monthly charge. Plus about R2500 just for admin and finding a tenant.

I now use Angor who are cheaper and use an excellent maintenance company for repairs. They do credit checks on applicants. All you need to do is check your bank account every month to see the funds have been received.

Been using them for almost 2 years now and not a single hassle.

davemc

Executive Member
Just letting have problems on their "maintenance" stuff, and their inability to perform proper entry and exit inspections makes them seem worthless.
However, they do seem to procure the best tenants in the over R7000 a month rental category.

But, the many many frustrating hours I spent making sure that maintenance tasks get done tarnishes their image massively.

I wish Just Letting would wake up regarding their maintenance and inspection duties.
Thanks for the tip CharlieB, I shall be looking up Angor, just to be more aware of what is available out there.

davemc

Executive Member
Meh, looks like Angor have the same problems, they specifically do not seem to actually have any policy/procedure in place to deal with maintenance issues.
CharlieB, you were probably just lucky that that "excellent maintenance company" was available to do the repairs that you needed.

CharlieBravo

I think it is up too you as the landlord to get repairs done, Angor simply assist with a company to do the work if you dont want the hassle of finding your own. You can use your own maintenance company.

I have 3 x 1 bed t/house that Justletting managed and repairs were required on all of them once Justletting had finished with them, cracked tiles, broken shower doors, cracked sink, damaged kitchen cupboards due to water leak. Those are just the ones at the top of my head. These repairs should have come out of the tenant deposit, but JustLetting had no idea who left the damages. So I am left with the bill.

You dont need to use Angor, but believe me steer well clear of JustLetting.

CharlieBravo

However, they do seem to procure the best tenants in the over R7000 a month rental category.

If anything they should care more since I would think the avg investment property in South Africa would be a 1 bed room unit which unless it was in Cape Town would be well under R7000pm.

davemc

Executive Member
Damn straight they should care more, but, finding an alternative is damn tricky.

mass09

Expert Member
Most agents I've worked with aren't any good at all. Laziest people on earth. They're good the first 5mins till the contract is signed, then you might as well be on your own.

Geriatrix

Executive Member
Thanks guys. Yes I've heard about JustLetting and they can go to hell. Some of my friends have had the displeasure of dealing with them.

I'll have a look at Angor.

TKD01

My experiences with Just Letting is also BAD.

They've got a million different charges (admin, moving in, moving out, contract fee, etc etc) - they siphon money from both the tenant and owner. They're on your back 2 days before month end to "remind" you to pay - but don't answer their phones or return calls when something needs fixing. (I spent a month without oven/stove waiting for them to fix it)

They also send your details to ITC - and by middle every month you have to BEG them to let you know what is going on regarding the status at ITC since ITC has not been updated yet... So apart from all the hassles you've got additional effort just to make sure your credit history is kept clean...

NEVER in my life will I deal with Just Letting again - and I'll advise even my enemies to stay away

Last edited: