Home Connecta Flexi

BCR

Expert Member
I've been struggling with CellC (non) technical support over the past couple of days regarding constant disconnections. It was even suggested that my router was faulty... laughable... Reading this forum was VERY informative... thanks MyBB forumites.
I'll be looking at alternative LTE products come end of the month. My current usage is about 300-400Gb/month. Does anyone know about an affordable alternative?

The only options under R500 pm (if that's still affordable) I know of, are from Rain.
Their uncapped for 18 hrs / day for R249, and this one :

You'd need to get a SIM from them to check speeds / pings etc., which they should let you do for 7 days free (only cost is the SIM / delivery fee).

I've been testing this afternoon myself, after a 2 year break, and it's still not good in my area :

MTN have a SIM month-month option, but it's not as much data as you need (220GB - 110 + 110 for R399), or much more expensive (1000 GB for R959), and either way, you have to buy a router from them for R1,999 up front.

Next best is Telkom 220 + 220 for R1,059.

Have a look at Axxess ISP https://www.axxess.co.za/, Afrihost (which owns Axxess), MWeb, Vox and Web Africa websites for their MTN and Telkom offerings, but pretty sure you'll find with all, that for up to around 400 GB it gets pretty expensive.

Again, if you go for one of them, get a SIM to test out first on a lower denomination, first, and remember, with MTN via those sites, fixed LTE means exactly that - you can only use it at the first tower it connects to & not more around as freely as with Telkom, which you can take anywhere with you in SA & use.

However, would personally not get involved with Web Africa, Vox & MWeb owing to problems people seem to have had in trying to get feedback when things go wrong, and cancellations also problematic with some of them from what I've also read.

You might find contracts with Vodacom, MTN & Telkom to be better value, but I'd personally not sign up for anything that has 2 years attached to it.

Last edited:

NoLuck Chuck

The only options under R500 pm (if that's still affordable) I know of, are from Rain.

You'd need to get a SIM from them to check speeds / pings etc., which they should let you do for 7 days free (only cost is the SIM / delivery fee).

I've been testing this afternoon myself, after a 2 year break, and it's still not good in my area :

MTN have a SIM month-month option, but it's not as much data as you need (220GB - 110 + 110 for R399), or much more expensive (1000 GB for R959), and either way, you have to buy a router from them for R1,999 up front.

Have a look at Axxess ISP https://www.axxess.co.za/, Afrihost (which owns Axxess), MWeb, Vox and Web Africa websites for their MTN and Telkom offerings, but pretty sure you'll find with all, that for up to around 400 GB it gets pretty expensive.

Again, if you go for one of them, get a SIM to test out first on a lower denomination, first, and remember, with MTN via those sites, fixed LTE means exactly that - you can only use it at the first tower it connects to & not more around as freely as with Telkom, which you can take anywhere with you in SA & use.

However, would personally not get involved with Web Africa, Vox & MWeb owing to problems people seem to have had in trying to get feedback when things go wrong, and cancellations also problematic with some of them from what I've also read.

You might find contracts with Vodacom, MTN & Telkom to be better value, but I'd personally not sign up for anything that has 2 years attached to it.
Thanks for the reply.

I have actually switched from Rain 4G uncapped and I tell you, that was a painful experience...never again).

I have used MTN fixed from Axxess and it works pretty well, so I think I'll take a look at their more expensive packages.

I will have to bite the bullet until fibre arrives in our area in about 2 - 3 months.

Reactions: BCR

BCR

Expert Member
Thanks for the reply.

I have actually switched from Rain 4G uncapped and I tell you, that was a painful experience...never again).

I have used MTN fixed from Axxess and it works pretty well, so I think I'll take a look at their more expensive packages.

I will have to bite the bullet until fibre arrives in our area in about 2 - 3 months.

I'm considering fibre but still think the base packages are too expensive, in relation to the amount of data we consume on LTE. Already have a fibre line running into the house, but the cheapest I can get it is R497 on Frogfoot via Afrihost for a 30 / 3 speed.

I like the idea of uncapped usage, but in PE, Frogfoot still seem to have too many outages each week which means spending even more on a backup LTE plan (takes it to R600 minimum, then ; currently can spend R200 every 2 months on Cell C + R100 each month on Telkom LTE 10 + 10 as a backup - very reasonable).

Gudnews

Expert Member
@Gudnews - from some brief testing I've done recently on prepaid (ie. downloads of mp3's / mp4's / YouTube vids. from within the YT app., which all consume data quickly), I can confirm that between 12 midnight & 1am, data is deducted from the "LTE Power Plan" (otherwise known as "Anytime data" in other places).

From similar types of downloads done slightly after 5am until about 5h35am, data was taken from the "LTE Nite" allocation.

The above therefore agrees to point # 18 of their Home Connecta Flexi T's & C's PDF which states : ".... Nite data is applicable for use from 00:00 to 04:59:59 daily."

This doesn't however answer why @Cell_C chooses to only selectively answer questions in this sub-forum ; I'm still waiting for a reply to some Q's posted after yours, about the future of this product after the end of this month.
Curious stuff. And it's just ridiculous how I can't get a straight answer from @Cell_C to such a simple question.

Reactions: BCR

NoLuck Chuck

I'm considering fibre but still think the base packages are too expensive, in relation to the amount of data we consume on LTE. Already have a fibre line running into the house, but the cheapest I can get it is R497 on Frogfoot via Afrihost for a 30 / 3 speed.

I like the idea of uncapped usage, but in PE, Frogfoot still seem to have too many outages each week which means spending even more on a backup LTE plan (takes it to R600 minimum, then ; currently can spend R200 every 2 months on Cell C + R100 each month on Telkom LTE 10 + 10 as a backup - very reasonable)

I like the idea of uncapped usage, but in PE, Frogfoot still seem to have too many outages each week which means spending even more on a backup LTE plan (takes it to R600 minimum, then ; currently can spend R200 every 2 months on Cell C + R100 each month on Telkom LTE 10 + 10 as a backup - very reasonable).
R497 for a 30meg line is quite reasonable if you don't also need fast upload speeds. I was offered a 20/10 line for R399, but infrastructure is still being installed.

I purchased a 1TB deal from CellC and was hoping this would tide me over until fibre arrived, but it's basically unusable as I have to reset the router every few hours.

BCR

Expert Member
R497 for a 30meg line is quite reasonable if you don't also need fast upload speeds. I was offered a 20/10 line for R399, but infrastructure is still being installed.

I purchased a 1TB deal from CellC and was hoping this would tide me over until fibre arrived, but it's basically unusable as I have to reset the router every few hours.
Pity about Cell C for you.
It could have something to do with MTN's towers, and may be a temp. problem relating to switch-over :

I had a similar problem late last year when using MTN through Afrihost (a few cut-out's per day), but was about the only one complaining then. When a whole host of forumites complained a few months ago - because it was suddenly affecting them in one go - they managed to sort it out quickly.

But for one person, they don't ever seem to bother.

At R399 I could much more easily go for fibre, especially with it being almost symmetrical like you should be getting.

NoLuck Chuck

Pity about Cell C for you.
It could have something to do with MTN's towers, and may be a temp. problem relating to switch-over :

I had a similar problem late last year when using MTN through Afrihost (a few cut-out's per day), but was about the only one complaining then. When a whole host of forumites complained a few months ago - because it was suddenly affecting them in one go - they managed to sort it out quickly.

But for one person, they don't ever seem to bother.

At R399 I could much more easily go for fibre, especially with it being almost symmetrical like you should be getting.
Could well be. I remember Telkom Mobile's migration to Vodacom roaming not being smooth either.

My gripe with CellC is that they haven't found a solution and their "technical" support, after months, still blames customers' routers for switching automatically to 3G. One of them actually suggested that LTE routers should ONLY come with 4G capability

Seems CellC has adopted Rain's tactics. "Have them pay upfront and if the service works, then good. If it doesn't and they cancel...well... they've already paid us. Win win for us"

BCR

Expert Member
Could well be. I remember Telkom Mobile's migration to Vodacom roaming not being smooth either.

My gripe with CellC is that they haven't found a solution and their "technical" support, after months, still blames customers' routers for switching automatically to 3G. One of them actually suggested that LTE routers should ONLY come with 4G capability

Seems CellC has adopted Rain's tactics. "Have them pay upfront and if the service works, then good. If it doesn't and they cancel...well... they've already paid us. Win win for us"

As it so happens, on this Home Connecta Flexi package, they only allow for 4G / LTE / LTE-A (If that's even possible!) - it's point # 11 in their T's & C's PDF one can d/load from their website.

As there's no 3G fallback, as I call it, it's ironic then that their staff is using an excuse for something they don't even accommodate.

NoLuck Chuck

Exactly. I have an open ticket with their "technical support", but I don't expect a resolution so my search for an alternative continues.

I have come across an uncapped deal from WebAfrica. Bit expensive, but will give it a try.

BCR

Expert Member
Exactly. I have an open ticket with their "technical support", but I don't expect a resolution so my search for an alternative continues.

I have come across an uncapped deal from WebAfrica. Bit expensive, but will give it a try.

Just be somewhat careful with them ; easy to sign up, but there are complaints these days about trying to cancel products. Have a look at the various threads in the forum to do with them, and complaints about MWeb.

I'd personally stick to Axxess & Afrihost.

master4real

After 200gb, your speed is reduced to 1mbs. Read their T's & C's. What can you do with 1mbs?

master4real

Also consider Telkom 1TB deals which is a month to month contract. Many forumites have given it a good review but its important to check their network first. https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/telkom-1tb-feedback-thread.1103691/

BCR

Expert Member
Also consider Telkom 1TB deals which is a month to month contract. Many forumites have given it a good review but its important to check their network first. https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/telkom-1tb-feedback-thread.1103691/
Think you meant to reply to @NoLuck Chuck instead of me ? ... as he's the one looking to change, not me.
No harm.

But by the sounds of it, I don't think he's after signing up with Telkom directly / entering into any contract directly with them (just like myself), but he'd have to confirm that fact.

Captain Axxess

Company Representative
Company Rep
Thanks for the reply.

Hi there,

If you need any assistance or have any questions, feel free to DM me :)

dinno

Used this SIM for the past 6 months, this Sunday around 00:00 it died on me. Now am hesitant on buying the 1TB deal on the 25th.

Gudnews

Expert Member
Used this SIM for the past 6 months, this Sunday around 00:00 it died on me. Now am hesitant on buying the 1TB deal on the 25th.
Home Connecta kills sims for sure. Somebody suggested what the issue might be some time back on here.

joshuatree

Expert Member
Contemplating upgrading the Huawei B315 router which is CAT 4 to a Huawei B525/535 etc.

What are the highest speeds people get on Home Connecta Flexi?

I average probably 30 download & 20 upload or a bit more.

Highest download once was in the 50's

Reactions: Yuu