HTC Desire - Weird Call Behaviour

Saajid

Expert Member
Hi.

I've got an HTC Desire, and have been experiencing some very weird but cool behaviour from the phone recently.

Sometimes, when I receive a call, my phone will ring, but at the same time I can hear the calling person talking over my phone's loudspeaker. The calling person has no idea that I can hear them. For them all they hear is the usual ring ring in their own phone's ear-piece.

However, on my phone, I can listen in on their conversation with others, before I choose to answer the phone. I can scream and shout into my phone, and they are unable to hear me, unless of course I answer the call.

How the frikkin hell is the possible?

I recently updated the phone's firmware to Froyo. My SIM Card/phone number was originally with Vodacom (years ago), then I ported to Virgin Mobile prepaid, and then I ported it to Nashua Mobile on an MTN Contract, then to MTN SP on prepaid, and then again back to Nashua Mobile on my current MTN contract.

Oh, and my phone also suffered some water damage when it was left on the bathroom window sill and some rain got onto it. It stopped working for about 6 weeks, but then magically started working again (after some occasional hair drying, lots of rice, and some silica dessicant). It was after this that I upgraded the firmware to Froyo.

Any ideas? It doesn't happen very often, jmaybe about once a week.

K

kingrob

How much do you want for it?

I've got a government agency standing by with an open cheque book.

chrissy

Scary stuff! The best time to skinner about someone is before and after a call :p

Stefan!

Do you have any call recording software on your phone?

I had the same problem, but it turned out that for some reason my ringtone changed to one of my recorded phone calls.

Sounded pretty weird the first time though.

Saajid

Expert Member
I don't have any call recording software on my phone, and I'm 100% sure it's not playing a sound recording instead of my usual ringtone. I know this because each time the noise from the other side is different. I can usually hear the voice of the person calling me, chatting to someone else while waiting for the call to connect. I can also hear the noise from their surrounding environment at the time (e.g. noisy factory, quiet home with kids playing in the background, in the car, chattery call center, etc). At first, I also thought it might be a recording, but I double & triple-checked it and I'm certain it's not.

This doesn't happen to all my phone calls, just some of them, maybe 1 in every 100 calls I receive.

I've Googled it and nobody else seems to have had the same problem. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the water damage my phone suffered a few months ago.

jammio

I've had that happen once before on my desire. i thought i was imagining it!

cavedog

Honorary Master
Some thing happened too me once. I heard the person talking but it was ringing the same time..... strange. I installed a custom rom now and it didn't happen again.