Huawei Mate 20

jman

Expert Member
I suspect you’re going to have lots of sad faces in the future...
This.

At least they provide a converter in the box. And usb-c earphones. Not sure how good they are, I use Bluetooth earphones anyway

Dave

Honorary Master
This.

At least they provide a converter in the box. And usb-c earphones. Not sure how good they are, I use Bluetooth earphones anyway
It doesn’t bother me at all, I’ve also got BT earphones and use the same adapter with the P20.

People crying about no 3.5mm jack have to realise it’s on its deathbed now and get themselves some BT earphones (or just use the adapter).

Tsepz_011

Expert Member
I'm using BT headphones as well but do keep wired headphones in my laptop bag as I tend to forget to charge my BT ones, so I am keeping the 3.5jack adapter on them at all times just incase.

Tsepz_011

Expert Member
That's the only drawback of Bluetooth ones - having to charge them.
Indeed. I carry a 15,000mAh Powerbank in my laptop bag, so sometimes I remember to plug my BT headphones to it in my bag so that they charge while I drive to work.

The most awkward part is when both the Powerbank and the headphones are dead then it will be a good month before I bother to charge either and I just end up using wired most of the time.

sajunky

Honorary Master
It doesn’t bother me at all, I’ve also got BT earphones and use the same adapter with the P20.

People crying about no 3.5mm jack have to realise it’s on its deathbed now and get themselves some BT earphones (or just use the adapter).
Well, Bluetooth can be on deadbed very soon if this technology pick up:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/patric...m-based-allplay-wifi-speaker-platform-review/

The first main problem with Bluetooth is that channel speed didn't improve since Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR (circa 2004). While the Bluetooth 3.0 + HS allows to use AMP (Alternative MAC/PHY) to improve speed, this feature is not used in mobile devices due to the high power consumption. Did you ever see +HS suffix on any of your devices?
Bluetooth 4.0 + LE was an attempt to reduce power over WiFi PHY, Huawei Y6 2018 support it, but even the latest headphones do not support for BLE. Something is lost in woods of profiles...

Bluetooth 5 (supported by Mate 20) is finally focusing on IoT, but it seems there is still a dilemma of chosing a range on expense of speed and in reverse.

These tests show that Bluetooth is still not suitable for hires audio: https://www.soundguys.com/ultimate-guide-to-bluetooth-headphones-20019/
I walked through all graphs and came to the conclusion that Bluetooth transmission channel is not transparent. In theory if a device support a codec of the source material and transmission channel allows to pass it through unchanged, there should be no further transcoding. I blindly assumed it would work that way. In practice it doesn't and it is really stupid.

This extra compression is seen clearly in the other test and the author is pointing it out:
https://www.soundguys.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-bluetooth-headphones-aac-20296/

I don't know what is going on, but if it continue the same way, WiFi technology will replace Bluetooth at least in hires audio applications, as it works as it should and a latency is lower.

jman

Expert Member
Price seems to good be true as they might include the watch?
Don't ask questions - just place the order lol. But yes, seems pretty cheap even without the watch. So if you get the watch as well, then that's a sweet deal from Telkom

Don't ask questions - just place the order lol. But yes, seems pretty cheap even without the watch. So if you get the watch as well, then that's a sweet deal from Telkom
I will def order if they include the watch, just hope I can port from fnb somehow :(
But they will probably sell the dual sim version?