MetroFibre increases speeds - FTTH price comparison

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Fibre price war in South Africa — MetroFibre throws down the gauntlet

Comparing the latest fibre-to-the-home (FTTH) prices in South Africa from major fibre network operators (FNOs) shows that Vumatel is the most expensive for almost every speed.

MetroFibre announced this week that it was doubling the speeds of most of its packages at no extra cost to customers while also introducing two new high-speed products — 500Mbps and 1Gbps.

Mercury12

Expert Member
Vumatel is so expensive. And why are their upload speeds halved for the 20mbps line , compared to the others ?

RudderVator

Expert Member
I figured one would compare the lowest possible price of each FNO, Openserve vs metro etc?

Openserve has 50mbps with Telkom for R699? Now we only compare Afrihost where you cant even watch youtube:ROFL:

NeoZA

and lets not talk about metro fibers down time and slow repair times

system32

Executive Member
I dread seeing the JHB Water repair truck in my area as a few hours later my fibre...

I'm considering printing flyers for cable thieves to clearly show the difference between copper and fibre.

blunt

Expert Member
Forgot to add Openserves new 25/10 for R497 from Afrihost

Charlesjjm

I figured one would compare the lowest possible price of each FNO, Openserve vs metro etc?

Openserve has 50mbps with Telkom for R699? Now we only compare Afrihost where you cant even watch youtube:ROFL:
Maybe read the article again, slowly, carefully.

"MetroFibre announced this week that it was doubling the speeds of most of its packages at no extra cost to customers while also introducing two new high-speed products — 500Mbps and 1Gbps.

But MetroFibre’s new prices from Internet service providers (ISPs) Afrihost and RSAWeb compared to the other big FNOs showed its claims were valid.

These were the first ISPs to provide MyBroadband with the new pricing of its MetroFibre packages."

Syphonx

Expert Member
Vumatel may be expensive, but their network is excellent. Often home line faults are attended to the next day, and during the 14 hour power loss in Cape Town at the beginning of the year, my line was working for the full duration. Seriously impressive.

• Wow
Reactions: Yuu

SeaSickMama

Expert Member
Why not a 1Gbps down and 500mbps up is weird to me or symmetric.

But the 500mbps is at a very good price happy about that.

SeaSickMama

Expert Member
Vumatel is so expensive. And why are their upload speeds halved for the 20mbps line , compared to the others ?
They play the reverse of DStv and make their profit off the lower end users due to the majority of the market going with packages of 50mbps or less.

Most of my older clients all on the basic they say they can't afford a 20mbps thing yet pay R400 for a 8mbps in waterfall elder estate

This is where they make a higher yield

Yes at home I'm all for 1gbps even though it's a waste to be honest

Thinking my biggest business client only had a 300mbps line and they turn R400 million a year

Sodan

Expert Member
Now just hoping Vumatel will respond. Only Vumatel in my area. Though I must say outages have been very rare and very quick (as in minutes) to get sorted, without me reporting anything ever.

Swa

Honorary Master
Yeah no, Openserve still has cheaper packages.

Vorastra

Executive Member
No lets.
My area had the main distribution box destroyed due to some guy crashing his car into it. They replaced the entire cabinet and restored everyone's connections in less than a day, and it was on a Saturday.

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Hoping that Openserve plays ball and offers free upgrades too.

Getting a bump to 500Mbps with Afrihost would be awesome!

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Company Rep
We will notify clients soon about the changes happening to MetroFibre.

200/200 and 300/300 clients will move to the 500/500.

200/200 clients will pay the same amount at R1297 while the 300/300 clients will get a price reduction of R200 monthly.

There will be more moves happening on the lower speeds.

Once the changes have been done clients can opt to downgrade or upgrade to another package if they wish in ClientZone.

Nereus77

I'm waiting for the Axxess pricing but I'm quite happy with what I see.
Eagerly awaiting the bump to 50Mbps :)

Apogee

Expert Member
Hoping that Openserve plays ball and offers free upgrades too.

Getting a bump to 500Mbps with Afrihost would be awesome!
Those speeds are not as rosy as they first appear to be.

You will soon find that very few international servers can deliver those downloads speeds, and that cloud backups sucks the big one as all the servers are severely throttled.

Tested all the major cloud services and the best performing one was Google Drive which managed to sustain around 120Mb/s upload speed, which is less than half of the available bandwidth.

This is one of those things that you have to see for yourself before you will believe it, so check back in here after the upgrade when you did.

The sweet spot for speed vs. price seems to be around the 200Mb/s mark currently.

This is of course for one user, if you have several using the connection concurrently, then more speed will be better, as everyone then has more bandwidth available.

Last edited:

deesef

Expert Member
The article does not mention that the OpenServe products (at least my 50 meg service), include a free 3 gig per month SIM card and free landline calls for Telkom to Telkom fixed and mobile numbers. That negates the R100 price difference...