Mweb and an illiterate dad

Friedpet

I'm back home with my dad for the next 2 weeks. In my flat in Pretoria, I have and ADSL 4mbps account from another ISP and I connect wirelessly to the router. I get about 3.5mb download speed and 400kbps upload speed. Now my dad also has a 4mbps account with 8gig download from mweb. Here I get 1.4mbps download and 400kbps upload.

Now this is super frustrating!

But I could be wrong (so could he, taking into account how much he knows about computers and internet) He could only have a 1024kbps account. But would I be able to get 1.4mbps download?

Anyways, these figures are from speedtest.net. This is not what I find by browsing - browsing is UBER slow. But also could be relative to me being used to 4mbps.

:D:confused:

|tera|

Master of Messengers

dabbler

Expert Member
Unplug his modem/router. Plug in your modem/router. Check the speed. ;)

MWEBHelp

MWEB Representative
Company Rep
I don't travel with my router:wtf:
:D router password and username is unknown:p
I'm back home with my dad for the next 2 weeks. In my flat in Pretoria, I have and ADSL 4mbps account from another ISP and I connect wirelessly to the router. I get about 3.5mb download speed and 400kbps upload speed. Now my dad also has a 4mbps account with 8gig download from mweb. Here I get 1.4mbps download and 400kbps upload.

Now this is super frustrating!

But I could be wrong (so could he, taking into account how much he knows about computers and internet) He could only have a 1024kbps account. But would I be able to get 1.4mbps download?

Anyways, these figures are from speedtest.net. This is not what I find by browsing - browsing is UBER slow. But also could be relative to me being used to 4mbps.

:D:confused:
Good Afternoon Friedpet, please provide me your Dad's MWEB email address or username and I will confirm if he has a 1024kbps account.

StevenC

Expert Member
Suppose there is no harm in it to confirm a line speed but this smacks of account security issues. As in how much info could one get using an email address that they know of just by posting innocently on the MyBB forums? :)

/paranoia on

Venomous

Honorary Master
Good Afternoon Friedpet, please provide me your Dad's MWEB email address or username and I will confirm if he has a 1024kbps account.
Sorry MG,

unless I am a retailer(or other) needing your advise how to best assist a client, with the client standing NEXT to me giving verbal permission for you to give me info, I don't agree with sharing info.

He did not say that his dad is currently infirm & not able to talk..

If you give that detail without his dad's express permission then you're going against his confidentiality.

zizo911

Executive Member
Sorry MG,

unless I am a retailer(or other) needing your advise how to best assist a client, with the client standing NEXT to me giving verbal permission for you to give me info, I don't agree with sharing info.

He did not say that his dad is currently infirm & not able to talk..

If you give that detail without his dad's express permission then you're going against his confidentiality.
This! Was just about to post it

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Easy folks, he didn't say he was going to give the username/pass but linespeed is certainly no biggie.

But I do think it would be better that Mweb contact the person whose account it is rather and offer to solve the issue or help ascertain if one exists.

Rohan

Give Telkom a call and ask them what the line is synching at. 10210

Tinuva

The Magician
/facepalm @ the Subject.

Fair enough the internet experience at his place sucks, but damn I have to wonder about the apple...