MWEB Uncapped ADSL - Official Q & A

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG does anyone here here use RS? seems Im shped to 160k/sec... :(

Got nothing to do with time of the day... was like this all of last night and early hours this morning
 
International Outage Update

Hi All,

Last night's international outage on was due to power issues in Mumbai which affected the Seacom cable. We've been informed situation has been rectified.

MWB.
 
Last edited:
Hi All,

Last night's international outage on was due to power issues in Mumbai which affected the Seacom cable. We've been informed situation has been recitied.

MWB.

thanks mweb, much appreciated. lost a heroes game coz of that! :p

could you possibly shed some more light on shaping around Rapidshare please? (post above yours)

Cheers
 
yep international seems dead slow, what happened to the supposed redundancy.

Its not shaping, its intermittent problems on the MWeb network (not sure if local or international). There also seem to be long (10 min) delays in switching traffic from SAT-3 to SEACOM (and vice-versa).

Theoretically this switching process should be instantaneous, if the alternate routes were available at IP level. It seems that switching is not very fast (which makes it feel like somone is turning the lights on and off).

MWeb is the first ISP (AFAIK) that is trying to do this dynamic load balancing across 2 different fibres, and this process presumably has teething problems...

Hi All,

Last night's international outage on was due to power issues in Mumbai which affected the Seacom cable. We've been informed situation has been recitied.

MWB.

It seems that MWeb cannot rapidly switch traffic from SEACOM to SAT-3 (and vice versa), as I noted on the Uncapped Subscribers Feedback thread:
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...ers-Feedback&p=3766352&viewfull=1#post3766352
 
Hi MWEB,

If I subscribe to MWEB uncapped data only (I have 384K line), will I be able to use another ISP account on the line or is the line only going to sync with MWEB servers? Ans say I move house, and have new telphone number and ADSl line, will I be able to use the MWEB uncapped account on the new account? or even move over to the uncapped all inclusive account in my new home?

Thanks
S
 
If I subscribe to MWEB uncapped data only (I have 384K line), will I be able to use another ISP account on the line or is the line only going to sync with MWEB servers?
Hi Smiley_lauf,

Yes no problem, if your router/setup allows for multiple ADSL sessions (logins) you will be able to use the MWEB account together with others (obviously you need to manage which routes go down which session). The one area you're going to need to watch is DNS resolution e.g. if MWEB's DNS servers are not the 1st choice for resolution you may get some incorrect lookups.


Ans say I move house, and have new telphone number and ADSl line, will I be able to use the MWEB uncapped account on the new account? or even move over to the uncapped all inclusive account in my new home?
Again no problem, your MWEB account is not tied to any particular ADSL line, however it will only allow 1 concurrent login, so only from one location at a time.

MWB.
 
Thanks MWEB--follow-on question: How would I check the DNS settings (I am not familiar with this) when I switch accounts? at the moment I am just changing the username/password in my router and it works fine--I do not change anything else on the router.

Again, thanks for the prompt response.
S
 
Hi Mweb, why are we not runnig at full speed today? Surely the network is not taking stain due to public holiday? are the corporates not "on leave" today?
 
Yes no problem, if your router/setup allows for multiple ADSL sessions (logins) you will be able to use the MWEB account together with others (obviously you need to manage which routes go down which session). The one area you're going to need to watch is DNS resolution e.g. if MWEB's DNS servers are not the 1st choice for resolution you may get some incorrect lookups.

You should be enjoying a day off!

I'm concurrently connected to my TI account which I'm using for access to the SAIX news servers via a router script - might come in handy when things get a little slow in MWeb land, but I haven't has much need of it yet.
 
how do you get more connections going on news.mweb.co.za?

surely there is excess capicity today? If the speeds are truly linked to demand then today we sould have full speeds like 12 at night?
 
Thanks MWEB--follow-on question: How would I check the DNS settings (I am not familiar with this) when I switch accounts? at the moment I am just changing the username/password in my router and it works fine--I do not change anything else on the router.

Again, thanks for the prompt response.
S

MWB thought you wanted to run multiple connections simultaneously. All you want to do is change to a different account from time to time. So you don't have to worry about DNS settings.
 
How would I check the DNS settings (I am not familiar with this) when I switch accounts? at the moment I am just changing the username/password in my router and it works fine--I do not change anything else on the router.
Hi Smiley_lauf,

It sounds like you're only using one account at a time so all should be fine (assuming your PC(s) are using your router as their DNS forwarder (server)). By default your router should be automatically learning its DNS servers from the login session, where you can go to look at this depends on the make/model, check the user guide.

MWB.
 
Hi Mweb, why are we not runnig at full speed today? Surely the network is not taking stain due to public holiday? are the corporates not "on leave" today?
Hi absk300,

Our network is reasonable busy today, but by no means under strain. You should be able to get best performance however we never guarantee line speeds (though some are achieving it or pretty close).

Also there are many other factors beyond our control that may influence speed to a particular site ...

- Local setup/environment - router/switch cfg, cabling, PC drivers etc.
- ADSL access path - copper quality, local exchange uplink, regional concentrator (ESR) load, inter-region transit
- On the other end, the great Internet beyond our network - intermediate path/provider/server congestion or failures etc.

MWB.
 
Hi absk300,

Our network is reasonable busy today, but by no means under strain. You should be able to get best performance however we never guarantee line speeds (though some are achieving it or pretty close).

Also there are many other factors beyond our control that may influence speed to a particular site ...

- Local setup/environment - router/switch cfg, cabling, PC drivers etc.
- ADSL access path - copper quality, local exchange uplink, regional concentrator (ESR) load, inter-region transit
- On the other end, the great Internet beyond our network - intermediate path/provider/server congestion or failures etc.

MWB.

I understand that. It just felt like we were getting normal "peak hour" speed. i am not complaining. I think you guys are great. just though that today we should have run close to full speed whole day, if not full speed whole day. For the bulk of the day, we (well atleast i) was getting normal peak hour speeds, wich in itself is great, but not what i expected. all n all i still think you guys have the best package out at the moment and are also performing the best. Keep it up!!
 
Mweb is starting to look rather stupid with all this international issues.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X