Networking Assignment Urgent Help Needed!!!

Shaunl661

Hey guys.

I am new to the Mybroadband community and would like to know if someone will be able to assist me with the following. My boy has a assignment due as he is studying Neworking and I was wondering if some clever It guru can assist with the following? It would be greatly appreciated. He doesn't even know where to start. I told him even if you guys can help with the answers he still needs to make sure he understands it afterwards otherwise rendering the assignment pointless. Thank you so much.

Mrs Radebe is a real estate entrepreneur. She was recently approached by an old friend, Mrs Jacobs, for a partnership in a college business (Big Data College), which she has been running for the last three years. According to Mrs Jacobs, the number of students has gradually increased over the years, and their old facilities can no longer accommodate te students. Therefore, they need to move to a bigger facility. According to their partnership agreement, Mrs Radebe will provide the new facilities required and an additional capital of RS00 000 to buy the computers for three labs and staff computers.

Upon inspection of these new facilities, the following assumptions were made:

• Lab 1 will accommodate 40 computers.
• Lab 2 will accommodate 50 computers.
• Lab 3 will accommodate 60 computers.
• Staff will need approximately 30 computers.

Each lab will be on its own floor: Lab 1 will be on the ground floor; Lab 2, on the first floor and Lab 3, on the second floor.
All staff will have offices on the third floor, and the staff network should be configured
differently from the student network. Each floor will have a server, WiFi router/access point and a printer. There are three routers to be installed.

They have been offered 24 port switches at discount by the local IT merchandiser. They were also given an IP address of 218.35. 50.0 by the service provider. You may use 192.168.1.0 for inter-router connection.

1.1 You have been hired as a network expert to design and configure this network. Design an appropriate IP addressing scheme for Big Data College. For each subnet provide the following:

a. Subnet address
b. First IP address
c. Last IP address
d. Broadcast address

1.2 Using Packet Tracer implement the network for Mrs Radebe. The implementation must include working demonstrations within packet tracer with working DHCP, WIFI and printer for each subnet. All devices must be configured correctly.

1.3 Configure the routers with a password of ciscol. Provide a screenshot if this configuration and show proof of your configuration.

sajunky

Honorary Master
It smells to me someone is getting opportunity for selling hardware, having complete ignorance in the business. Give this job to a professional dealer who will supply complete solution.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Why does your son need us to assist you to do his homework?

He will learn nothing that way, you're doing him a great disservice, and contributing to the horde of "IT qualified" job seekers who can't tell their TCP from their UDP.

Shaunl661

Well it obviously was a big mistake coming here wanting some advise from "IT pros". He was asking advice and still in early days of his IT studies and the stuff confused him a bit. Seriously guys you could have just stated you cant help him.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Well it obviously was a big mistake coming here wanting some advise from "IT pros". He was asking advice and still in early days of his IT studies and the stuff confused him a bit. Seriously guys you could have just stated you cant help him.
So ask the questions that confuse him.

We'd be happy to explain concepts etc, but don't come and ask us to do the assignment.

Shaunl661

Did I ever say I wanted you to do his assignment. I posted the assignment so that you could see what he is dealing with and what is asked. He doesn't understand how to break up the 3 Labs and have the staff on a separate network.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Did I ever say I wanted you to do his assignment. I posted the assignment so that you could see what he is dealing with and what is asked. He doesn't understand how to break up the 3 Labs and have the staff on a separate network.
Perfect. So you have pinpointed the area he has confusions in. What he should do then is go back to that section of his studies and clear up whatever it is there that he doesn't understand.

So, he should clarify the basic concepts of TCP, IP address, Subnet, and once he has those clear, he should look again at how these would link for this assignment. Seems like basic concepts are being missed here which is why he is struggling.

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
Your son should tell the lecturer that it is bad practice and a breach of consultant - client confidentiality to discuss the technical setup and configuration of the network with an outsider due to security concerns.

He should then end with: No hard feelings, bro

andeshan

Yeah this is fairly basic.

I'm sure the study material should suffice to complete this assignment.

Tell your son to go through his foundation again.

infscrtyrisk

Expert Member
This is a good assignment, and your boy will learn a lot through it. Looking at some of the absolute garbage that they teach children in IT today, it is actually quite refreshing, and I sincerely hope that the teacher / lecturer has the technical acumen to grade it properly. What level is your boy at?

Shaunl661

Thanks infscrtyrisk. I also think so sounds like a proper environment that he would find himself in one day. He only started this year so still all new to him but I told him to work through the manual covering this and figure it out and should ask his teacher on the things he doesn't understand so that he doesn't fall behind. I am positive he will be able to work it out.

infscrtyrisk

Expert Member
Thanks infscrtyrisk. I also think so sounds like a proper environment that he would find himself in one day. He only started this year so still all new to him but I told him to work through the manual covering this and figure it out and should ask his teacher on the things he doesn't understand so that he doesn't fall behind. I am positive he will be able to work it out.
Does he have access to a lab? Consider getting him two Raspberry Pis and a cheapy switch or two, should be under R1500, so that he can do stuff hands-on, as opposed to just reading. Some peeps learn better through doing things as opposed to just reading about them.

Just an observation: 180 computers for R S00 000 works out to under R2800-00 per PC. I'd suggest reporting the school board to the BEE/ Racism Ministry, because it is obvious that they are not using the prescribed procurement methods, where a mouse that actually costs R40 ends up costing R650-00.

What level is your boy at?

Last edited:

syntax

Executive Member
He needs to start with a network diagram. It will help him visualize how things connect and what they are actually asking.
Once he understands the physical connectivity it might be a bit easier.
Maybe it is because im hanging like a mofo, but the question isnt fully clear, I could interpret they want separate VLANS for wireless, printers, servers and users per floor, or single VLAN per floor.

In any case, the rest is quite straight forward. Do some subnetting and VLANS, provide router interconnects, have basic routing between them, configure DHCP for each range on the local router.

The only caveat is a 3 routers and 4 floors, but you can just interconnect 2 of the switches and utilize the same router.

jamacouve

Has your boy done some kind of studying in this field ? Is this varisty or school ?

As some have mentioned this should be relatively simple if he is studying networking properly.