Official Tri-Nations 2011 Thread

MickeyD

RIP
It's RWC year, which makes the Trin-Nations Cup very interesting again.

Fixtures:

23 July: Australia v South Africa - ANZ Stadium, Sydney (12:05)
30 July: New Zealand v South Africa - Westpac Stadium, Wellington (09:35)
5 August: New Zealand v Australia - Eden Park, Auckland (09:35)
13 August: South Africa v Australia - Mr Price Kings Park, Durban (17:05)
20 August: South Africa v New Zealand - Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth (17:05)
27 August: Australia v New Zealand - Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane (12:05)

MickeyD

RIP
Springbok squad

Backs:
Gio Aplon
Bjorn Basson
Juan de Jongh
Adrian Jacobs
Elton Jantjies
Patrick Lambie
Charl McLeod
Lwazi Mvovo
Odwa Ndungane
Wynand Olivier
Ruan Pienaar
Morne Steyn

Forwards:
Heinrich Brüssow
Jean Deysel
Dean Greyling
Alistair Hargreaves
Ryan Kankowski
Werner Kruger
Ashley Johnson
Johann Muller
Coenie Oosthuizen
Chiliboy Ralepelle
Danie Rossouw
John Smit (captain)
Deon Stegmann
Adriaan Strauss
Flip van der Merwe

killadoob

Honorary Master
If the all blacks don't win the tri nations then they are a sure thing for the world cup :D.

mcryan

Expert Member
Very exciting indeed. i can't wait for the start, and then the world cup. A few months of good Rugby ahead!

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
Aha - so that't the logic. Mmmmm - I'd hate to see that cycle broken. Although, it is only ever NZ that has won the TN in a WC year. So really, that's a NZ Hoodoo! I see no reason why we can't take both (other than that "team" that has been "assembled" for the overseas leg)

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
It's RWC year, which makes the Trin-Nations Cup very interesting again.

Fixtures:

23 July: Australia v South Africa - ANZ Stadium, Sydney (12:05)
30 July: New Zealand v South Africa - Westpac Stadium, Wellington (09:35)
5 August: New Zealand v Australia - Eden Park, Auckland (09:35)
13 August: South Africa v Australia - Mr Price Kings Park, Durban (17:05)
[highlight]20 August: South Africa v New Zealand - Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth (17:05)[/highlight]
27 August: Australia v New Zealand - Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane (12:05)
1705 start? :eek: I hope I make it back in time. I'm covering a Classic Clashes match in EL that day. :eek:

killadoob

Honorary Master
Aha - so that't the logic. Mmmmm - I'd hate to see that cycle broken. Although, it is only ever NZ that has won the TN in a WC year. So really, that's a NZ Hoodoo! I see no reason why we can't take both (other than that "team" that has been "assembled" for the overseas leg)
We can't win the tri nations, i read something about 20 players injured or something along those lines. Thumping of note coming very soon add in pvd we and are liking to be in major trouble :D

Bwana you realize all blacks vs springboks is also a classic, one of the biggest games in world rugby. So get with the program and cover it :D

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
We can't win the tri nations, i read something about 20 players injured or something along those lines. Thumping of note coming very soon add in pvd we and are liking to be in major trouble :D

Bwana you realize all blacks vs springboks is also a classic, one of the biggest games in world rugby. So get with the program and cover it :D
I know but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush so to speak. Hopefully the EL match will start early enough for me to shoot, file, and jet and I'll make it back in time for at least the second half.

hungrybeaver

Expert Member
Got my ticket for the SA Oz game at Kings Park :D

Team selections are going to be very interesting, what with the SANZAR "gentlemen's agreement" about not fielding weaker teams. I expect a lot of young players being shuffled into the teams and I think we'll see an expansive style of play from everyone.

[-]Out of interest, are the Boks going to have any warm-up games before the TN kicks off?[/-]

edit: I dont think there will be any time for warm-up games... TN starts in 2 weeks :wtf:

Devill

Damned
Springbok squad

Backs:
Gio Aplon
Bjorn Basson
Juan de Jongh
Adrian Jacobs
Elton Jantjies
Patrick Lambie
Charl McLeod
Lwazi Mvovo
Odwa Ndungane
Wynand Olivier
Ruan Pienaar
Morne Steyn

Forwards:
Heinrich Brüssow
Jean Deysel
Dean Greyling
Alistair Hargreaves
Ryan Kankowski
Werner Kruger
Ashley Johnson
Johann Muller
Coenie Oosthuizen
Chiliboy Ralepelle
Danie Rossouw
John Smit (captain)
Deon Stegmann
Adriaan Strauss
Flip van der Merwe
No space for Grant but there is a place for Jantjies? :wtf:

APoc184

Honorary Master
No space for Grant but there is a place for Jantjies? :wtf:
Same with Sarel Pretorius. Granted there are some doubts about his defense but he brings so much more to the squad and a good coach will work around that weakness.

Oh yeah right. We don't have a good coach. That's why he wasn't picked.

APoc184

Honorary Master
It would be nice to see you guys join our Superbru Pool for the Tri-Nations.

Pool Name: Rugby15.co.za
Pool Code: curlsuch

thestaggy

Honorary Master
What is this mans (P.Divvy) fascination with Adi Jacobs? The entire Sharks midfield is utter trash and Adi can't even lock down a starting spot there. And Charl McLeod? The guy that looked like a schoolboy that wondered onto the field against the Crusaders.

I'm also tired of SARU overlooking the Lions. This is supposeldy not a first choice squad so guys like Jano Vermaak, Josh Strauss and Doppies le Grange should receive a look-in here. I'd take Jano over McLeod and Doppies over Adi. Doppies can actually affect linebreaks. And the one Lion that did get in had a terrible season.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
1 - Coenie Oosthuizen
2 - John Smit(c)
3 - Werner Kruger
4 - Danie Rossouw
5 - Johann Muller(vc)
6 - Heinrich Brussow
7 - Jean Deysel
8 - Ryan Kankowski
9 - Ruan Pienaar
10 - Morne Steyn
11 - Bjorn Basson
12 - Wynand Olivier
13 - Juan de Jongh
14 - Gio Aplon
15 - Pat Lambie

16 - Chilliboy Ralepelle
17 - Dean Greyling
18 - Alistair Hargreaves
19 - Ashley Johnson
20 - Charl McLeod
21 - Adi Jacobs
22 - Lwazi Mvovo

Devill

Damned
What is this mans (P.Divvy) fascination with Adi Jacobs? The entire Sharks midfield is utter trash and Adi can't even lock down a starting spot there. And Charl McLeod? The guy that looked like a schoolboy that wondered onto the field against the Crusaders.

I'm also tired of SARU overlooking the Lions. This is supposeldy not a first choice squad so guys like Jano Vermaak, Josh Strauss and Doppies le Grange should receive a look-in here. I'd take Jano over McLeod and Doppies over Adi. Doppies can actually affect linebreaks. And the one Lion that did get in had a terrible season.
Vermaak imo had an average season but granted he was better than Mcleod. Doppies on the other hand had a very good season imo and I think he can feel a bit slighted for missing out because of Jacobs.