OnePlus 7

Gamer

Expert Member
Update, forgot to screenshot the notice, but this is the end result. V10.3.0.
Decent update including camera improvements.
Managed to screen shot the update notice on my wife's phone. This is the changelog.

Pufferfish94

What screen protectors are you guys using? Got a 7 Pro and want a good screen protector on it.

drspaceman

Currently torn between getting the 7T and an iPhone 11. Probably not the best forum to ask this lol, but what are your guys’ opinions? :)

I’ve had an Android for a long time so I wanted to try something new with iOS. But I’m also tempted by the 90Hz screen and fast charging here, just a bit worried about the camera and battery being kinda lacking, apparently. Any advice? :p

lleytz13

Currently torn between getting the 7T and an iPhone 11. Probably not the best forum to ask this lol, but what are your guys’ opinions? :)

I’ve had an Android for a long time so I wanted to try something new with iOS. But I’m also tempted by the 90Hz screen and fast charging here, just a bit worried about the camera and battery being kinda lacking, apparently. Any advice? :p
What do you currently have? Have you ever had a OnePlus device before?

drspaceman

What do you currently have? Have you ever had a OnePlus device before?
Currently have a Samsung S7 Edge. Never had an iPhone or OnePlus before lol, so I’m just looking for something new and interesting (preferably with a great camera). :D

lleytz13

Currently have a Samsung S7 Edge. Never had an iPhone or OnePlus before lol, so I’m just looking for something new and interesting (preferably with a great camera). :D
Honestly if you're looking at specifically a camera then I wouldn't recommend the 7T unless you can get G-Cam to work nicely. However the user experience on OnePlus devices in my opinion is a lot better than many other Android devices bar the Pixel's.

sand_man

Honorary Master

Consider the cost of restocking your apps folder? Unless you've owned and bought iDevices/Apps in the past?

Have you ever owned an iDevice? And what you currently using?

How important is flexibility to you? From both a software perspective and a aesthetics perspective? Do you like to tinker with custom icon packs, widgets and custom fonts?

Local support for Oneplus non-existent. Where would you get yours?

iPhone is the safer option, more expensive I would suggest but much better local support and probably better resale value too.

The 90hz screen is a joy to behold but top end iPhone's just as smooth and creamy so I don't believe there is much of a compromise or advantage to the Oneplus there. (OP screen would be quite a step up from your S7 edge).

Battery tech on the iPhone has been somewhat sub par but both should get you through a day on a single charge. OP charges incredibly fast and it's surprising how convenient that actually is.

OP playing catch up in the camera department. It's decent but still lags behind the flagships from Samsung, Apple, Pixel and Huawei. Unlikely to ever catch up (OP camera would be a lot better than the one currently on your S7 edge). Having said that, I run a Gcam camera app on my 7Pro and that performs superbly. I have nothing to compare it to though, other than the native shooter and I think that's key. Unless you actually comparing your phone to another, the difference in performance isn't relevant.

sand_man

Honorary Master
So I dropped my 7Pro the other day and the stock screen protector lifted a bit and some grit got under the protector. No idea why this happens but cut a long story short I removed the factory fitted screen protector and installed a Ambberdr screen protector.

Very impressed with it! Installation is tricky though, so imperative to watch the online installation tutorial.

It's super transparent, thin, responsive and bubbles take care of themselves within 48 hours. It has a premium feel to it and wraps perfectly around the curved screens of the 7Pro.

Really impressed with it so far!!

@bratwurst how does yours look 5 months later? Have you dropped your phone at all and did it do its job?

bratwurst

Expert Member
So I dropped my 7Pro the other day and the stock screen protector lifted a bit and some grit got under the protector. No idea why this happens but cut a long story short I removed the factory fitted screen protector and installed a Ambberdr screen protector.

Very impressed with it! Installation is tricky though, so imperative to watch the online installation tutorial.

It's super transparent, thin, responsive and bubbles take care of themselves within 48 hours. It has a premium feel to it and wraps perfectly around the curved screens of the 7Pro.

Really impressed with it so far!!

@bratwurst how does yours look 5 months later? Have you dropped your phone at all and did it do its job?
Sold the 7pro a while ago. Never dropped it so can't say :) It however was one of the better screen protectors I've owned, premium feel wise.

bratwurst

Expert Member
Why did you sell? Cud? Or just not enjoying it?
I enjoyed the phone even though I dislike curved screens. I just couldn't go back to any 60hz phone anymore. I then wwitched to the 7T due to the flat screen. The 7T was however just filling a gap until my Pixel 4xl arrived :). Thought I could live without the pixels camera, but i caved. Now I have the camera, and miss the OnePlus battery life :/. Damn CUD.

Both the 7 and 7T series are awesome phones. 9 out of 10 times I recommend the OnePlus series over any other phone to friends.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Yeah, I suspected it might be you dropped it for something with a stronger camera. Can't really get better than the shooter on the Pixels. OP perpetually playing catch up re camera performance. Not that it's bad, just consistently around 5%-8% behind the big 4, Apple, Huawei, Samsung, Pixel...

sand_man

Honorary Master
So last night we were load shed from midnight. I had all windows open for cooling but got attacked by mosquitoes. In the darkness I reached for the peaceful sleep and sprayed it onto my arms and legs. Some spray landed on my phone though, unbeknownst to me. This morning it looked like I had sneezed on my screen. I tried to wipe the residue away with an alcohol swab but the stain remains! Bit gutted tbh...

drspaceman

Do you guys think it's worthwhile picking up a 7T now, or should I wait for the 8 series or some such? :unsure:

ItherNiT

Wait for the 8 series, if you want wireless charging. If you dont care about wireless charging and can wait there should also be a price drop on the 7/7t series once the 8 launches.

sand_man

Honorary Master
8 series weeks away... think it's going to be another winner from OP!!!