OpenWeb ADSL Account

BlankMan

Hello Mybroadband Readers,

I would just like to make you all aware of the following.

I've had an incident where I have bought a Gold Unshaped Uncapped 4MB line for R899 from OpenWeb ISP, I've had this account for some time but recently noticed my line speed has dropped from 4MB to 10kbs during the day from 08:00AM till 17:00PM. I queried this with them & was told there is contention and problems with my ADSL line. I have proved that I am being shaped as I have another ISP and when changing over my line speed is perfectly fine. There isn't a problem with my line at all. On OpenWeb's website they advertised a package for the Gold Unshaped Uncapped saying you will have FULL SPEED ACCESS ALL DAY. After my query was sent thru, they changed their website & that package is no longer available, it has been changed within a matter of a few hours as I took a screen dump of the package offerings. I am being billed for a full speed access line but not getting what I am paying for. The CEO, Keoma has sent me an email advising he will be suspending my service from OpenWeb but I am paying my service and have not missed a payment. I would not recommend using OpenWeb as an ISP as you don't get the service you are paying for and when querying you are told that there is a problem on your side. They blatantly lie to their clients. I am laying a complaint against them with proof with the Customer Protection Act.

iJasper

Email support, request a new account login, test it and report back.

BlankMan

@iJasper, how and why must i reply to the support team, if the CEO has cancelled my services, even though my account is not in arrears?!

HApyM3al

Expert Member
i had same issue, just log a ticket and they'll sort you out... i had issue yesterday and within 20min all sorted...

BlankMan

@HApyM3al, I did that the first time, they gave me an alternate account "with an even better contention ratio", in their words, i don't know why as the account I was paying for stated in there original wording for that account on their site, "this Unshapped - UNCAPPED Account has a better contention ratio", that worked for about a day, the next day @ 08:00AM sharp, they started with their throttling, "shaping" again.

And why have they all of a sudden changed there site not to have that ADSL Account listed????.

BlankMan

I have just confirmed with my friend who also has the same account as I did with OpenWeb, that the log ticket and support fixes the line/account speed thing is not working for him anymore.

HApyM3al

Expert Member
@HApyM3al, I did that the first time, they gave me an alternate account "with an even better contention ratio", in their words, i don't know why as the account I was paying for stated in there original wording for that account on their site, "this Unshapped - UNCAPPED Account has a better contention ratio", that worked for about a day, the next day @ 08:00AM sharp, they started with their throttling, "shaping" again.

And why have they all of a sudden changed there site not to have that ADSL Account listed????.

thats really weird... i just log a ticket and within few moments i get reply and in 20min all sorted. i've got now 4 different accounts from them and i think where problem comes in is that they do bull**** us :) truth. eg. i get new account, i ask does it support concurrent connections? then i took that account details made 2 x PPPOE and worked = made 2 concurrent connections and get 2 different IPs. then guy replies and says here is an new account because other one doesnt support it. lol! just LOL. so i just acted stupid and used new account. and ever since i got that new account like 3days ago my speeds been flying :) even P2P is full speed. (shocking).

honestly i would ask for different account. get an 4mbps shaped and test. maybe even ask to change your consultant. Ive been with same person all along and no problem and once this other noob replied, god help the persons soul they gave me another account when there was an account that just needed to be activated...

are you sure your SNR margin is fine and so forth? could be that line is unstable.

BlankMan

@HapyM3al, LOL, it has happened to me before, I logged a ticket and yes they did resolve it. I went back on my stats and have found that for the last few weeks, they have been shaping the account. I have not monitored it so closely before, but after they did it to me the second time, I started to take notice, after all i am paying for a NON-SHapped Account, and I have now just got fed up with the Service. Like I have said, the OpenWeb CEO has canceled my account when I started asking the heavy questions on Shaping - Throttling. There first reply was my line and my router, but I also have a Telkom ISP account. I tested my ADSL Line with my Telkom Account and it is solid, as soon as I switch to my OpenWeb Account "hello throttle".

HApyM3al

Expert Member
@HapyM3al, LOL, it has happened to me before, I logged a ticket and yes they did resolve it. I went back on my stats and have found that for the last few weeks, they have been shaping the account. I have not monitored it so closely before, but after they did it to me the second time, I started to take notice, after all i am paying for a NON-SHapped Account, and I have now just got fed up with the Service. Like I have said, the OpenWeb CEO has canceled my account when I started asking the heavy questions on Shaping - Throttling. There first reply was my line and my router, but I also have a Telkom ISP account. I tested my ADSL Line with my Telkom Account and it is solid, as soon as I switch to my OpenWeb Account "hello throttle".

OK thats bad... and also mr.beep from openweb not here and looking for threads seems like...

if was you i would play this card - your package said unshaped meaning 24/7 full speed. i have tested other accounts (with other ISps) and noticed it is being throttled/shaped/managed. My line is 100% confirmed with telkom. and therefore you are selling an package and arent delivering the service. please correct the issue or ill be taking the matter further and ask for your money back as you lost productivity etc.

normally that corrects the issue.

BlankMan

Hi HApyM3al,

That is exactly what I did in between OW and myself, i just feel they took the easy way out by saying i was rude and abusive.

I was irate but only uttered one swear word, not directed at David, and David said that he would escalate my issue to management, the next response was account canceled.

I think because i stated that they must come with another angle seeing as i have two ISP accounts they probably thought lets cut him off and he "I" will disappear....

That is not going to happen, i will not stop until i have an honest answer from them.

I am not some 14 year old ADSL user, i feel what is fair is fair, give the customers the service they pay for.

OK thats bad... and also mr.beep from openweb not here and looking for threads seems like...

if was you i would play this card - your package said unshaped meaning 24/7 full speed. i have tested other accounts (with other ISps) and noticed it is being throttled/shaped/managed. My line is 100% confirmed with telkom. and therefore you are selling an package and arent delivering the service. please correct the issue or ill be taking the matter further and ask for your money back as you lost productivity etc.

normally that corrects the issue.

BlankMan

@MrBEEP,

on my thread ...

Please take note of the following taken before you changed the wording on your site .... this is your own words.

"With a lower contention ratio and high priority on our network, clients can rest assured that if their Telkom line is up, their ADSL access will be available. Gold Uncapped Unshaped is 100% unshaped, with no limits. Full speed access all day!"

please explain that !!

HApyM3al

Expert Member
Hi HApyM3al,

That is exactly what I did in between OW and myself, i just feel they took the easy way out by saying i was rude and abusive.

I was irate but only uttered one swear word, not directed at David, and David said that he would escalate my issue to management, the next response was account canceled.

I think because i stated that they must come with another angle seeing as i have two ISP accounts they probably thought lets cut him off and he "I" will disappear....

That is not going to happen, i will not stop until i have an honest answer from them.

I am not some 14 year old ADSL user, i feel what is fair is fair, give the customers the service they pay for.

i think issue is looks as if you created account just to do this and i for one dont like people coming to forum just to complain... but your issue is an real issue.

1st step is gain evidence dude! i dont care what you say, give me an speedtest of openweb and an telkom capped account. then go download an file (same file, Linux ISO files are best to test with) and post results between the two. show timestamp as well. did you go onto hellopeter?

im going to be very nice now... and give you consultant i used name and maybe they can help you. Ill PM the name for you.

provide the evidence. show us you are not at fault. also show you router SNR and Line attenuation results. as well would like to know if your line drops at all? yes or no answer only. and take telkoms words with pinch of salt because i know someone that use to work there and they do sometimes just say yeah your fine and move on.

call your exchange network admin and ask aswell... i honestly feel OW is maybe just maybe not giving you what you want. but first proof to degree of no doubt that your are not at fault. if cant provide proof. then im on OW side. or you could ask someone else to make another PPPOE with your account and test if get 24/7 full speed. good comparison.

i feel OW isnt isnt fault and that might be something small (network related or updates or whatever).

another idea- take everything off network and then only 1 pc - put all updates off and run speedtest.

just trying to help out with your case

BlankMan

Dude,

I hear you, and I have done exactly that, I have tested my account at both ends like you have mentioned above, even my friends have done the same, "they not with telkom ISP accounts but with other ISP accounts", and they where met the same results.

I and some of my friends have that proof that they indeed have been shaping us, when I mentioned this to OW, the fact that i have tested my line and router before making the complaint. this is where i started having the problem.

I said, i have proof that you guys are shaping my NON-SHAPED account, what is the reason for this........ This is where i hit the wall and feedback from them stopped.

What I also find very strange is that on my last communication to the CEO by e-mail, with in a hour or so the OW website was changed and the "4MB Gold Uncapped UNSHAPED Account" removed. ..... very strange not ??

HApyM3al

Expert Member
Dude,

I hear you, and I have done exactly that, I have tested my account at both ends like you have mentioned above, even my friends have done the same, "they not with telkom ISP accounts but with other ISP accounts", and they where met the same results.

I and some of my friends have that proof that they indeed have been shaping us, when I mentioned this to OW, the fact that i have tested my line and router before making the complaint. this is where i started having the problem.

I said, i have proof that you guys are shaping my NON-SHAPED account, what is the reason for this........ This is where i hit the wall and feedback from them stopped.

What I also find very strange is that on my last communication to the CEO by e-mail, with in a hour or so the OW website was changed and the "4MB Gold Uncapped UNSHAPED Account" removed. ..... very strange not ??

hey dude i just went to openweb... wtf! yes! no unshaped... i guess they realised cant provide it ? mmm..,... and wtf is orange edition? i meanthe 2mbps account like 20 bucks more for gold compared to silver... mmmm.... weird. hate it when get these weird ****.

platinuim looks like way to go then for you or gold business account. you can give me one IP for the help :D hahaha..

an dude you can say as much times as want... MYBB policy no evidence = no proof. we need to see proof buddy... where are you situated? cpt? pta? durban? pe?

Census

BlankMan is not the only one complaining, read the threads.......

MrBEEP

Openweb Representative
Company Rep
I believe this was explained in the feedback thread.

Removal of this product has been part of the plan since January. We are developing a new unshaped product that will suit a wider audience.

Currently clients who have purchased Gold Uncapped Unshaped will be able to retain their accounts (except of course for those that abuse our staff).

I'm afraid as much as you are trying to create the great OpenWeb Conspiracy theory of 2013 - this will not be achieved.

We would have investigated your matter further, but unfortunately you chose to go down a path we have no time for. Thus I decided to terminate your account.

I take note of your earlier threats of persistence, but i'm afraid we see this matter as closed.

If any of our clients are experiencing issues, please join us on the official OpenWeb ADSL feedback thread, or email support@openweb.co.za

No further replies will be made on this thread.

Dude,

Census

Typical MrBEEP, you are the customer and we are the ISP, you need to come to the party and acknowledge that there's a problem @
OpenWeb. Please, i invite you, be a man........

cableguy

OpenWeb rep
Company Rep
Which horse puked you out dude?

Do you even have an openweb account?

I love how the trolls miraculously crawl out from their dungeons when some misinformed person starts bashing a company. The same thing happened to Afrihost that happened to Webafrica that happened to Mweb thats now happening to Openweb.

Sorry cant chat, I am busy downloading a torrent thats burning up my line...

Typical MrBEEP, you are the customer and we are the ISP, you need to come to the party and acknowledge that there's a problem @
OpenWeb. Please, i invite you, be a man........