PLEASE HELP ME with my LTE Package

shonay

A few days ago I applied for an LTE package for my home.
Today the sim was activated and I'm trying the service out but my download speed is stuck at 3.8Mbps and Upload 2.17Mbps.

My brother who stays next door also has the same package but he's getting 20Mbps download and 8Mbps Upload.

I took my LTE over to his place and then tested mine out there, and the speeds are still 3.8Mbps and 2Mbps download and upload respectively. Which leads me to believe that the sim is somehow throttled to this speed.

I've reset the B315 modem, removed the sim, reinserted and tried again with no change in speeds.

This is a new contract for 24 months I don't want to be stuck in a contract that's giving me nowhere near the service I expected as advertised "up to 90Mbps". I understand that I wont get 90Mbps but right now I'm getting near ADSL speeds which is a blatant ripoff for me.

What can I do to improve this?

I've contact Telkom and they said that they will escalate the matter to one of their tech guys which will be in touch within 72 working hours.

But, what if this problem is not able to be sorted out, am I able to cancel the 24 month contract?

This is such a disappointment as a new customer this is not the experience I expected to have.

shonay

Hi Lord Flacko,
Thanks for the assistance.

I logged in and made the changes you specified.
It connects to 4G with full signal - but still the same limited download and upload speeds.

I've tried a number of different speed test websites, all come out more or less the same.
Thanks for trying.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Did you test your sim in your brother's LTE router?

shonay

Hi AirWolf,

Good idea!
I just tested his SIM in my B315 router and I get 40.80Mbps download and 15Mbps upload.
I then tested my SIM in his B315 router and I get 3.81Mbps download and 2.7Mbps upload.

So it seems like for some reason my SIM doesn't want to connect at faster speeds.
I have no idea what's going on :-/

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Have you signed up for the LTE uncapped package or a different one?

shonay

Its the LTE Uncapped package. But strange thing is, now on the Telkom website it states that the uncapped promotion is not available in my area :-/

AirWolf

Honorary Master
I've noticed a change in coverage area from time to time.

You'll have to wait for their feedback now :(.

RedhotNeo

Expert Member
Use the Huawei toolkit and force the router to use the 2300Mhz band only. most probably ur sim is reading the slower 1800Mhz band

cavedog

Honorary Master
Use the Huawei toolkit and force the router to use the 2300Mhz band only. most probably ur sim is reading the slower 1800Mhz band
+1 Yeah the 1800Mhz band is being destroyed by uncapped lte and capped lte users which routers are connected automatically to that band and then added to the mix is the LTE phone users especially if they are on freeme packages that offers big data caps.

1800MHz for me in most cases is severely congested.

2300Mhz is relatively good if you force it in the toolkit because even those slow speeds on 2300Mhz is always better than 1800Mhz

shonay

Thanks guys, I will try google the software now to download and implement the settings you recommended.

shonay

So just as an update, it turns out the lady signed me up for Smart Internet Uncapped with a B315 LTE router and not the Smart Broadband Uncapped, which is a separate package compared to the one I asked for and the one that was shown to me in the emails with the sales lady. The Smart Internet Uncapped is a package with an LTE router but limited speeds up to 4Mbps (which I was not told) - I specifically asked for fast LTE speeds. I requested this immediately be cancelled (luckily I am within the 7 day cooling off period so I believe no penalties should apply). Hope this helps anybody else who experiences this issue.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Hey yes. The smart internet uncapped is limited to 4Mbps and the after a certain amount of data used it is limited to 2Mbps.

You looking for the R799 uncapped deal.

shonay

Yep the lady signed me up for the wrong package. I requested for the SmartBroadband Uncapped - but because it was not available in my area, she instead signed me up for the Smart Internet thinking it was more or less the same thing - without informing me of the differences she said they were both the same thing. So anyway, it all finally got cancelled today. They initially wanted me to pay a R2000 cancellation fee. I contacted Telkom directly, and informed them of the situation and because I am within the 7 day cooling off period, they agreed that it should be cancelled with no penalties.

cavedog

Honorary Master
You can still signup just a adress that has the deal available.