Rocketnet - feedback?

MEIOT

Expert Member
If you guys are constantly experiencing issues, and if you're on month to month, why not just use a better service provider?

I imagined that would be the positive of a month to month. Ditch the useless providers and test if others can provide a better service.

Just my 2c

neoprema

Expert Member
you will be jumping providers like underwear.

Yes some are clearly incompetent but a lot has to do with upstream providers. My speeds today have been up-and-down all day - but only on HTTP/s, so i'm assuming some kind of proxy is having load issues.

I can download linux for example on a torrent an max out my 100mbps line. Then i try the same file from Tenet or SAIX mirrors over HTTP and i'm getting 170kb/s. Websites taking forever to load, and some just don't load at all.

Not sure who RocketNet's upstream ISP is but there's a broken proxy/cache somewhere...

electrofreeze

Expert Member
you will be jumping providers like underwear.

Yes some are clearly incompetent but a lot has to do with upstream providers. My speeds today have been up-and-down all day - but only on HTTP/s, so i'm assuming some kind of proxy is having load issues.

I can download linux for example on a torrent an max out my 100mbps line. Then i try the same file from Tenet or SAIX mirrors over HTTP and i'm getting 170kb/s. Websites taking forever to load, and some just don't load at all.

Not sure who RocketNet's upstream ISP is but there's a broken proxy/cache somewhere...

we and others have been battling with this problem for months looks like it is definitely a bandwidth problem and it is mostly international
we are still waiting for feedback
it is much easier to notice on the 100 fiber and faster

joshuatree

I can confirm that this was due to a Vumatel switch going down on the Stellenberg Node. Vumatel tech localized the fault and repaired the incident within an hour.
Internet has been down since about 12h today on Vumatel again. What is going on ?

Edit : just restarted everything again and it is working now. Geez...

joshuatree

The Stellenberg switch has gone down again and Vumatel have tech on site localizing the fault.
From your Network Status on your website :

Vumatel Scheduled Change #1177 | Cape Town in a day

Vumatel Scheduled Change #1177 | Cape Town Please be advised of the following scheduled change.

Change Reference: #1177 Start Date: 29 April 2019 00h01 End Date: 29 April 2019 05h00 Area/s Affected: The following areas in Cape Town: Stellenberg, Boston Vredekloof La Rochelle Oakdale Proteaheights-West Proteaheights-East Kuilsriver-North Kuilsriver-South Network Type Affected: Active Ethernet Change Description: The PoPs listed above are currently connected to the Kenridge PoP. They will be moved to connect to the Eden Park PoP to optimise the Cape Town network Change Impact: Residents will have no connectivity during this time

--------
Is this related or another problem ?