Router Battery Backup

Iwojima

Expert Member
Well, the user manual calls it a Ratel too.

Anyone know where I can find a DC adapter/converter for my laptop?

It’s the narrower Dell power types found in the XPS9560 etc.
Geewiz will likely have. You just need to figure out what size DC plug it has.

Got a pic?

powermzii

Expert Member
Not really router backup - but is anyone powering a POE switch off a mini DC UPS? I have a POE switch that is powering 2 APs and another switch - when i look at the POE usage on the switch it is reporting approx 12W. What device could i use for that? Device rated power Input: 54V 1A

abzob

Honorary Master

Iwojima

Expert Member
Thanks. From my search it appears to be 4.5mm.

Not too confident this UPS will actually charge my laptop but worth a shot.
That'll be the 4.5mm outer/3mm inner diameter. Unfortunately not a very "standard" size for DC plugs.

I see Geewiz only has that size included with a universal wall charger: https://www.geewiz.co.za/laptop-chargers-docks/131248-unique-universal-laptop-charger.html

dualmeister

Honorary Master
That should be fine.
From Solarwize "We unfortunately do not have stock. I only have the MU604 8800MAH"

Found another company with stock in Midrand, but they only on Facebook so I would prefer not to since never heard of them.

Communica getting stock of the Ratel 8100 next week :unsure:

LoonatM

I have no complaints thus far - has worked seamlessly during the load shedding. When we had 4 hours of power cuts, two lights were still lit on the battery gauge. The included adapters also made this a simple plug and play solution.

As a matter of interest, where did you order from? Doesn't seem to be listed on the Ellies website anymore and stock availability seems limited.
I purchased it from Leroy Merlin ( https://leroymerlin.co.za/power-back-cube-mini-connectivity-81463366 ) . Just for a comparison, how many watts is your router and ONT pulling? I calculated mine at around 31.8W combined which theoretically will give me 3.3 hours of runtime if it's running at max power I think.

yeldoom

I just collected my Ultralan 60W and it's on charge now. I'm expecting load shedding in 4 hours from now, is that enough time for the batteries to charge before I put any load on it?

powermzii

Expert Member
I just collected my Ultralan 60W and it's on charge now. I'm expecting load shedding in 4 hours from now, is that enough time for the batteries to charge before I put any load on it?
They usually come charged to a certain percentage but yes it should be enough time. Have you connected the devices up to it yet?

Speedster

Honorary Master
Yes, should charge from 0 to 100 in under 2 hours

upup

Executive Member
Thanks. From my search it appears to be 4.5mm.

Not too confident this UPS will actually charge my laptop but worth a shot.
That dell laptop sometimes want a certain radio signal from the charger to know you got the real genuine charger, please make sure about that. My Lenovo got a third pin just for that. But some use the normal positive wire for that.

tehtorq

Guys, I have a 9v wifi router, a 12v Fibre ONT, a very basic understanding and a heavy dose of analysis paralysis from all the options available. I keep ending up with numerous browser tabs open to various products. And then load-shedding hits.

What's the simplest option? Does the Ultralan 60W support charging both the 9v and 12v devices at the same time? (assume no POE).

Should I just buy two devices?

powermzii

Expert Member
Guys, I have a 9v wifi router, a 12v Fibre ONT, a very basic understanding and a heavy dose of analysis paralysis from all the options available. I keep ending up with numerous browser tabs open to various products. And then load-shedding hits.

What's the simplest option? Does the Ultralan 60W support charging both the 9v and 12v devices at the same time? (assume no POE).

Yes it can charge multiple items on multiple voltages as well. You only need 1 unless your kit is located all over the house

yeldoom

Like Aardvark and powermzii said, just need 1 Ultralan 60W and an extra DC cable.

There are brands too, like Ratel, Gizzu, Vizia, Solarwize (Ratel clone).