Router Battery Backup

ld13

Honorary Master
Yeah the 860p is a very good device - i must actually but one or 2 more. The plan is to sometime this year get a proper home inverter system but until then at least devices can be powered
Even with an inverter, it is nice to know that you can unplug/change stuff without killing the internet or whatever is connected to it.

insect

Client asked me today for a CPAP solution - I see the "official" machine type battery packs/banks on amazon go -+4k :unsure: Anyone know of another way?

This is the specs they sell, what I find interesting is the run time:

Provides 1-2 nights of continuous run-time on an average pressure setting with the humidifier and heated tubing disabled. Will provide approximately 19,000mAh for your handheld electronic devices.
So if that provides 7 - 14 hours wont the ratel 8100 at least do 2 - 3 hours?

Specifications:​

• Capacity: 95Wh

• Cell Type: Industrial grade genuine LG rechargeable lithium ion cells

• Rated Input: 12V, 60W (NORMAL), 80W (MAX)

• Rated Output: DC 12V, 6.67A

• USB Out: 5V, 2.5A

• Life Span: Over 500 full charge/discharge cycles

• Recharge time: 2-3 hours via Respironics DreamStation AC Adapter

JAM007

Hi there guys and gals

Started reading up on this thread and there’s ALOT of excellent info , but don’t have time to go through all the pages (apologies )

I have a TP LINK Archer C20 router (9v) and the Fibre Black tall box from SADV.
2 TP Link AP’s connected via POE switch.

1. I see the RATEL 860P is highly recommend.
Would this device be sufficient to power all
the above mentioned equipment?

2. How long will the 860P power up the Fibre setup ?

3. Is there any other cables / connectors required for my setup ?

4. Setting up the devices to the 860P straight forward ? Simply plug and play and that’s it ?

Thank you in advance for the excellent info, and assistance. Much appreciated

maumau

Honorary Master
Yeah the 860p is a very good device - i must actually but one or 2 more. The plan is to sometime this year get a proper home inverter system but until then at least devices can be powered

My thinking exactly.

Nobody here watches TV, so the Ratel and a couple of those globes that charge. Gas hob and that's it.

killerbyte

Expert Member
Hi there guys and gals

Started reading up on this thread and there’s ALOT of excellent info , but don’t have time to go through all the pages (apologies )

I have a TP LINK Archer C20 router (9v) and the Fibre Black tall box from SADV.
2 TP Link AP’s connected via POE switch.

1. I see the RATEL 860P is highly recommend.
Would this device be sufficient to power all
the above mentioned equipment?
I would do the following setup: Ratel 860P powering ONT (SADV), TPLINK router, and one extra POE injector. The Injector and Ratel will need to be plugged into the ethernet ports of the router to give the APs network connection.
2. How long will the 860P power up the Fibre setup ?
Without the APs I would say 8 hours, but with the APs its a different story.
3. Is there any other cables / connectors required for my setup ?
You'll need one of the injectors listed earlier in this thread. What is the voltage of the SADV box?
4. Setting up the devices to the 860P straight forward ? Simply plug and play and that’s it ?
Yes, just plug, play and forget.
Thank you in advance for the excellent info, and assistance. Much appreciated

bobbyb

Come on guys... @mr_norris has given me a challenge. 10 MyBB users must buy a Ratel because of my recommendation. So I need another 4 people to buy them. LOL

So far we have @mr_norris, @derp90, @maumau, @insect and @rafiqs (who bought two - LEGEND).

Just to clarify, neither mr_norris nor I work for any companies that sell or manufacture the Ratel UPSes. Just some friendly fun and its awesome that a few of you have taken my advice.
I bought one too a couple days ago and had it delivered yesterday

killerbyte

Expert Member
Thank you

SADV Black Box - 12v @ 1.5A
TP Link Router - 9v @ 0.6A
Ok, then you will use the 9v/12v port for the TP-link router and one of the 12V ports for the SADV box. Then you will need this setup for the injector and SADV box (https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/router-battery-backup.993476/post-26792166) unless you can get hold of a male to male DC cable.

JAM007

Ok, then you will use the 9v/12v port for the TP-link router and one of the 12V ports for the SADV box. Then you will need this setup for the injector and SADV box (https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/router-battery-backup.993476/post-26792166) unless you can get hold of a male to male DC cable.

Placing an order with communica just confirming all the items required.

Is this the correct POE injector required?

The link u highlighted in the previous post , shows a 2.1mm male 2 male splitter cable correct?

Much appreciated for all you assistance.

killerbyte

Expert Member
Placing an order with communica just confirming all the items required.

Is this the correct POE injector required?

The link u highlighted in the previous post , shows a 2.1mm male 2 male splitter cable correct?

Much appreciated for all you assistance.
That POE splitter is the wrong one.
You will need this one:
MikroTik RBGPOE Gigabit PoE injector (geewiz.co.za)
@Aluroth reports that it works

HOWEVER! He also used this one (Single Port Gigabit PoE Injector (geewiz.co.za)) but it didnt work for his Unifi AP. What are the power requirements of your APs? Because this injector might work for you and honestly the Ratel 860P actually meets its power requirements.

And don't forget the splitter to power it.

Last edited:

maumau

Honorary Master
Miss stupid here again :notworthy: .

Please help me connect this thing - short power cable goes into electrical socket - yay me.

What's that short split cable shown in the middle? And the 3 metre cable? It's got a weird plug on one end?

Ratel 860P.jpg

Ratel plug.jpg

EDIT: Searched YouTube flat. There's one absolutely useless video that teaches nothing :unsure:

RonSwanson

Expert Member
Miss stupid here again :notworthy: .

Please help me connect this thing - short power cable goes into electrical socket - yay me.

What's that short split cable shown in the middle? And the 3 metre cable? It's got a weird plug on one end?

View attachment 999102

View attachment 999100

EDIT: Searched YouTube flat. There's one absolutely useless video that teaches nothing :unsure:
I dunno, I have always envied Ratel owners, but never owned one. Yours looks a bit dusty though, did you buy it second hand?

From the Ratel manual, it looks like your 3m cable does not come with it. Probably for a solar panel perhaps?

The cable in the middle would probably plug into the 12/9v output. Which brings me to my 3rd question: what is it that you want to power, and how many volts does it need? It looks like you need to select that (13)
1611337349800.png

powermzii

Expert Member
I dunno, I have always envied Ratel owners, but never owned one. Yours looks a bit dusty though, did you buy it second hand?

From the Ratel manual, it looks like your 3m cable does not come with it. Probably for a solar panel perhaps?

The cable in the middle would probably plug into the 12/9v output. Which brings me to my 3rd question: what is it that you want to power, and how many volts does it need? It looks like you need to select that (13)
View attachment 999108
Yes the split cable goes into the devices you want to power, whether its a router or ONT etc. Depending on the voltage they need , 9 or 12 you may need extra cables so that the right device gets the right power. If you give 12v to a 9v device it'll likely give up the holy smoke. Some devices are more forgiving the other way, i.e. giving a 12v device 9v

RonSwanson

Expert Member

View attachment 999108
Here is some more detail:
1611337884000.png

So, if you need 9V for your device, select (13) 9V and it looks like the Ratel will power it from port 14 (as long as it does not need more than 2 Amps or 24 Watts). Best to check.
Otherwise, if you need 12 V, you can choose from port 14 and use (13) to select 12v (as long as it does not need more than 2 Amps or 24 Watts). If it needs up to 5 Amps (60W), then use any one of the four 12V ports (15).

Last edited: