Samsung Galaxy S2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having some problems with chaninging the lcd.density on omega rom 19.2, when I take the dpi down to 200 or 220 I get fc's on the browser, it doesnt work at all, and the dialer is also a bit messed up (but still functional). Has anyone had this problem :/ I tried looking on the XDA thread, but no luck, and I can't post on the thread cause I haven't done 10 posts yet.

Thanks in advance

Why would you want to change the DPI for a Samsung based ROM? Samsung built the ROM and UI features specific to the current DPI. I would only recommend a DPI change if moving to an AOSP/KP ROM.
 
Why would you want to change the DPI for a Samsung based ROM? Samsung built the ROM and UI features specific to the current DPI. I would only recommend a DPI change if moving to an AOSP/KP ROM.

Because the dpi is too large in my opinion! I like 200 odd. So ur basically saying I must change my rom?
 
Guys. Please help. Is this sort of battery usage normal. All ive been doing is tapatalk and some fb
View attachment 38668
View attachment 38670
View attachment 38672

Ratios seem similar to mine, but drain is more severe ...

View attachment 38692

There is no telling from the screenshots which roms/firmware and kernel you are using (assuming JB), but there two major schools of thought regarding battery life.

(A) I don't care about battery life since I charge often enough and I want to have as much awesomeness from my S2 as possible.
The simple answer to this is - Get a backup battery and have it handy when you can not charge. Enjoy a fully functional firmware and stock kernel (root or unrooted)

(B) I don't care for the frills and fuss, I want my battery to last for 2 days at least with proper functionality
Here you must decide between rooting your device or not. The best way forward is to root your device since this allows the most tweaking of rom/fw an kernel. Pick a rom from XDA that which removes the bloatware which normally is the reason for excessive battery drain - NeatROM Lite and Omega is currently the more popular roms on our forum. This can be done only by rooting your phone. These two roms has no draining bloatware on the phone and should dramatically increase the battery life seen against the stock JB fw. Also when rooted, you get to use awesome apps like Titanium Backup. With this, you can further freeze apps that you don't want. I use ES Task Manager to disable auto startup of apps I don't need to run all the time - some of these apps just load because it is on your phone. Disable start at startup won't stop the apps from working (unlike freezing apps in TB), but it will take slightly longer to load the moment you use the app. Then with something like SetCPU, you can create profiles based on certain conditions to let the phone "work less". This will also save a bit of battery power. I do not believe in apps like juise defender since it continiously runs in the background to check for certain conditions in order to save battery - doesn't make sense to me (and a lot of others on XDA). Some kernels are very economical from the word go, but if you want to squeeze more battery life out of your phone, then you can consider undervolting and underclocking with Siyah or Dorimanx (look for stable releases). I do both and have yet to find an app that causes freezes because the processor can not keep up. And if this happens, then adjust UC and UV to preven these freezes. Remember that all S2's are not created equal and your results will vary from someone else (for better or worse). Get a 2000mAh battery - R300 well spent! It gives 24% extra life from the moment you chuch that baby in your phone. Switching of the fancy features you don't really need will not take away from your phone - stop comparing to the fruit phone - you have a better phone - deal with it!

The above are merely basics - there are a bunch of helpful threads on XDA that will tell you exactly what you can do to get more battery life. I am by no means an expert this subject, but I am quite happy using my phone moderately the whole day and not worry about the battery. I get at least a day out of my 2000mAh battery with ave 3-4 hrs screen on time (a couple of pages back I posted some screen shots if you are interested).
 
Last edited:
Where is the 2000mAh battery available from? I bought from Kalahari only to be notified a week later, 'out of stock'.
 
I got mine from Samsung Midrand last year. you can import from eBay, DealExtreme etc etc. Google is your friend :p I didn't want a generic battery.
 
I couldn't find locally, only amazon and the like and then it's + shipping. Will try searching again.
Thanks.
 
Because the dpi is too large in my opinion! I like 200 odd. So ur basically saying I must change my rom?

That is the point of Samsung based ROM's- the large look is what Samsung are going for. FYI, the DPI is 240 stock.

I do think it is best to go to an AOSP ROM. You will appreciate the lower DPI much more there, and I have never had any broken apps when changing the DPI in any AOSP/AOKP ROM.
 
Was not impressed with Neatrom - moved back to rootbox but the bluetooth calling sucks, going to try slimbean and see what that is like. So tempted to get nexus 4, my nexus 7 is seriously making me hate my s2....
 
Disclaimer: I saw this by chance and have no idea how good it is. But if I still had dual booting, I would have tried it

Today my phone almost got smashed to bit a couple of times in frustration... Willing to flash anything with in reason.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X