Samsung Galaxy S2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Siyah 3.3.2. My governor is conservative. I don't have ExTweaks installed, I worked with CM9's own settings under Performance in the settings menu.

ExTweaks is specifically for Siyah. I don't use CM's settings for Siyah. Try rebooting and see in CPUSpy if it goes into deepsleep
 
It looks as though my phone doesn't go to sleep. Any ideas please?

My battery sits at 80% after 3 hours, of which the screen was only on for 27m.
My CM9 settings for CPU is: Governor: Conservative, min 200mhz, max 800mhz.

WTF?? Why run the Galaxy S2 at 800Mhz??

Why not just get a Galaxy Ace, it does 832Mhz.
 
Seems like my phone doesn't go to sleep when I use the Conservative governor. Changed to Pegasus and all looks good. Thanks for advice!
 
If you don't run demanding apps, then there is no need to run at higher frequencies which gobbles up battery

I do agree, and since the Galaxy S2 does not come with an extra "light" core for sync and checking mail, might be valid.

So almost like you want to install "Intel Speedstep" on the phone? Doesn't Android take care of it?

But I'm ok with it to charge my phone every second day, with the iPhone 3G it was every night! :(
 
WTF?? Why run the Galaxy S2 at 800Mhz??

Why not just get a Galaxy Ace, it does 832Mhz.

I can vouch for the fact that running on single core mode, underclocked to 1Ghz has absolutely no loss in general performance. And again any small loss in performance can be negated by different schedulers. It does improve battery life massively.

However- the pegasusuq scheduler really is impressive in its ability to provide dual core performance and single core battery life.
 
I can vouch for the fact that running on single core mode, underclocked to 1Ghz has absolutely no loss in general performance. And again any small loss in performance can be negated by different schedulers. It does improve battery life massively.

So you turn your Galaxy S2 into a Galaxy S?

The two biggest battery savers on any mobile phone are :

1. turning off mobile data, also called 3G or HSPA+
2. turning down the brightness of the phone's display.

So, if you're going camping for the weekend & would like the phone to last for four days +, I would highly recommend doing the above mentioned points.

I charge my S2 every second night & it's not a big operation to do, in fact, I'm sleeping while it's recharging. :)
 
So you turn your Galaxy S2 into a Galaxy S?

The two biggest battery savers on any mobile phone are :

1. turning off mobile data, also called 3G or HSPA+
2. turning down the brightness of the phone's display.

So, if you're going camping for the weekend & would like the phone to last for four days +, I would highly recommend doing the above mentioned points.

I charge my S2 every second night & it's not a big operation to do, in fact, I'm sleeping while it's recharging. :)

Woah! Why didn't I think of that??!!
 
After some heavy usage today:
I just got more than 6hrs screen on time for the first time
21h 30mins after charger was disconnected.
Wi-fi and/or 3G and/or 2G on 70% of the time.
Spent quite a lot if time on the net.
30mins phone calls.

Now no more testing ... just looking forward to having 2-3days between charges
 
So you turn your Galaxy S2 into a Galaxy S?

The two biggest battery savers on any mobile phone are :

1. turning off mobile data, also called 3G or HSPA+
2. turning down the brightness of the phone's display.

So, if you're going camping for the weekend & would like the phone to last for four days +, I would highly recommend doing the above mentioned points.

I charge my S2 every second night & it's not a big operation to do, in fact, I'm sleeping while it's recharging. :)

Amazing! Why did I not think that instead of rooting, customizing my scheduler and governor settings and under-clocking my phone, simply turning off mobile data and dropping the brightness would provide me with the holy grail!

No need to be sarcastic when you have missed the point entirely. Which is that ICS is perfectly capable of running on a single core without issues. We do it because we can, not because we are overly anal about battery life. If I wanted 4+ days of battery life, at the expense of no mobile data and a dull screen, I would have bought a Nokia.
 
i'm using miui 2.6.22 with siyah v3.3.2.miui is my preferred rom.i've tried cm9,slim ics and resurrection remix and always end up returning to miui.if i do switch its usually to resurrection remix.its a fantastic rom but i like the look of miui over the apex/nova launcher looks.miui all the way for me.
 
Amazing! Why did I not think that instead of rooting, customizing my scheduler and governor settings and under-clocking my phone, simply turning off mobile data and dropping the brightness would provide me with the holy grail!

No need to be sarcastic when you have missed the point entirely. Which is that ICS is perfectly capable of running on a single core without issues. We do it because we can, not because we are overly anal about battery life. If I wanted 4+ days of battery life, at the expense of no mobile data and a dull screen, I would have bought a Nokia.

Well done! Sounds like a really bad-ass phone you got there.

Can it still make phone calls? :)
 
i'm using miui 2.6.22 with siyah v3.3.2.miui is my preferred rom.i've tried cm9,slim ics and resurrection remix and always end up returning to miui.if i do switch its usually to resurrection remix.its a fantastic rom but i like the look of miui over the apex/nova launcher looks.miui all the way for me.

I prefer MIUI for it's ease of functionality and features. The look at times is ok, too iPhone-ish for my tastes. But a new launcher does a lot for it.
 
i have a 2nd upgrade available and for the first time in many a year i am considering just letting it slide.think i'm gonna be staying with my gs2 for the full 2 year contact.its still a fantastic phone.very fond of it.not in the least bit tempted to get the gs3 which is strange cause the me before the gs2 would have been in the store 7 days prior to upgrade due date knocking down the door to get his hands on that gs3.oh dear.i think i'm getting old......or the gs2 is just a killer phone,even with it been quite old now.i think its the latter because as far as i can tell i'm still a phone fanatic.long live the gs2 :)
 
i have a 2nd upgrade available and for the first time in many a year i am considering just letting it slide.think i'm gonna be staying with my gs2 for the full 2 year contact.its still a fantastic phone.very fond of it.not in the least bit tempted to get the gs3 which is strange cause the me before the gs2 would have been in the store 7 days prior to upgrade due date knocking down the door to get his hands on that gs3.oh dear.i think i'm getting old......or the gs2 is just a killer phone,even with it been quite old now.i think its the latter because as far as i can tell i'm still a phone fanatic.long live the gs2 :)

+ 100000000000

Best phone I've ever owned.
 
I see the top score on anTuTu for a Galaxy S2 is also one running GB 2.3.6 .... just sayin. :)
 
OGroteKoning, when upgrading to a newer nightly CM9 build, do you just flash from .zip without wiping any of the caches? Will wiping the caches reset any preferences?
 
OGroteKoning, when upgrading to a newer nightly CM9 build, do you just flash from .zip without wiping any of the caches? Will wiping the caches reset any preferences?

The CM9 nightlies are non wipe. So flashing them over a previous version should be fine. It is good practice to wipe cache and dalvic cache. I did not do either. I think it is done automatically by the newer version. I did not lose any preferences. I would suggest you to get intk CWM recovery and flash from the dual boot options menu. 1st important step is to make nand backup of the rom in recovery.

I learnt the hard way that if you flash CM9 to the primary rom that it installs its own kernel. I lost Siyah. The only way to get it back was with Mobile Odin. It was a bit of a schleb, but not the end of the world. GM always makes 2 versions of any of his kernels. One you can flash with CWM and one you can flash with Mobile Odin. But now I keep my experiments purely on secondary rom.
 
The CM9 nightlies are non wipe. So flashing them over a previous version should be fine. It is good practice to wipe cache and dalvic cache. I did not do either. I think it is done automatically by the newer version. I did not lose any preferences. I would suggest you to get intk CWM recovery and flash from the dual boot options menu. 1st important step is to make nand backup of the rom in recovery.

I learnt the hard way that if you flash CM9 to the primary rom that it installs its own kernel. I lost Siyah. The only way to get it back was with Mobile Odin. It was a bit of a schleb, but not the end of the world. GM always makes 2 versions of any of his kernels. One you can flash with CWM and one you can flash with Mobile Odin. But now I keep my experiments purely on secondary rom.

Why CM9 though? Never used it, just curious?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X