Skyworth Binge Android TV box

Polymathic

Honorary Master
My device is still randomly powering on and this happens very often now. This doesn't have anything to do with app updates as well.
Yeah it does that sometimes usually when somebody accidentally presses the cast button on their phones.
Switch off HDMI controls on your TV automatically switches to it when it Powers on .
You can also shut the device down by holding the power button and choosing that option. Though it takes 2 minutes for the device to boot up from a cold start

Reaper84

Expert Member
Don't think that's the issue. The thing will be on when I wake up in the morning sometimes or I'll be watching something not using the player and I will notice the player just powers on.

binloud

Okay so I thought I would give my experience using this android box, I use it for basically 2 things, DSTV and Netflix. I have a gen 1 chrome-cast as well, but wanted to have a TV like experience with an actual remote, especially for the wife. My problems are however that the Netflix app doesn't exist and the one we use is terrible, barely works with a remote and the resolution is really bad. The DSTV now experience is better but the live streaming TV option (sports) is absolutely terrible its always buffering and I have to watch it on SD 460p which is absolutely terrible. Catch up works fine and is at a high resolution, I imagine this is DSTV's fault. I have gone back to using my chromecast as I can stream full HD in both apps and the Netflix app actually works. No the problem isn't my internet I have a 20/20 fibre line and use a wired connection for the box.

binloud

Could well be, but is it only in peak times or always / most of the time?
Could also be your ISP doing packet inspection and throttling you. Best way to determine this is to use a proxy / vpn.
Its always/most of the time, some channels work better then others I will give a vpn/proxy a try, but will this explain that if I cast the exact same channel as I am watching on the skyworth box to my Gen 1 chromecast it streams without any problems, no buffering and 1080p. I actually forgot to switch the box stream off yesterday and had the cricket stuttering along on the box and perfect on the separate chrome cast which is over WIFI. My current ISP is cybersmart -light speed by the way and I might upgrade to the 500 line soon, wonder if it will still buffer haha.

STORMERSFAN

My dstv now and showmax work flawlessly..dstv now sport is always in HD..and hardly any buffering..for instance I was watching sa vs pak..and I watched the first innings without a single moment of buffering..got a bit in second inning for.about 5 minutes..20/2 with cool ideas

binloud

Seems it was my ISP, tried a VPN for awhile and worked perfectly. I contacted Cybersmart to lay a complaint they apologized and said they needed to make adjustments to the router which they did remotely. Seems to be working perfectly now, thanks for the input guys! @enerdude