Smart outdoor security cameras in SA?

maumau

Honorary Master
We're wanting to install wireless outdoor beams and asked a local company to quote on Takex.

They've said Takex won't work at our house because a lot of hadedas come into the garden.

Is that true?

Last edited:

Saba'a

Executive Member
We're wanting to install wireless outdoor beams and asked a local company to quote on Takex.

They've said Takex won't work at our house because a lot of hadedas come into the garden.

Is that true?
Not an expert but one can set the sensitivity settings. Surely the hadedas issue holds true for all beams? But then may not trigger for real intruders.

My beams are close to the house although walking near the house will set it off BUT the one where covers a wider area is not an area where the hadedas land.

I have beams plus cameras to check what triggered alarm AND can always cancel armed response if false alarm.

Could also link cameras to armed response and have a silent alarm if too many false alarms?

petum

Is that true?
Also have multiple takex. Was also told the birds world set them off.

Turns out. They don't. And if they do every now and again. Good.

Problem is, you can easily crawl under the beams. There is a setting for and/or which requires both beams to be broken to alarm. All mine are set at both and highest sensitivity and I can leapard crawl under them.

This was found by chance. Wife isn't so impressed.

I've subsequently installed sonoff outdoor sensors as a backup. And they are much better at a fraction of the cost. Set them up to lights and app. Got them everywhere around the house. Hidden.

maumau

Honorary Master
@Saba's and @petum thank you for confirming what I thought, I.e. if you can adjust one brand you can adjust another.

They want to install 1 Optex beam against the wall in the middle of the house stretching 12m in either direction sideways but looking at the detection pattern that leaves a nice big unprotected area right in front of the beam?? I'm not so keen as even with Takex I was planning on 2 units to cover the garden.

@Saba's do you have Takex beams?

@petum i dont blame your wife for being annoyed :) Sonoff/Shelly is a great suggestion, we've got plenty of garden lights and I'll look at that if Takex confirm their beams will be unsuitable.

I've emailed the local Takex agents to send one of their installers here and will give feedback when I hear from them.

Saba'a

Executive Member
Not sure which brand but was supplied by ADT Fidelity.

Will see if any names on the beams.

plbartie

Also have multiple takex. Was also told the birds world set them off.

Turns out. They don't. And if they do every now and again. Good.

Problem is, you can easily crawl under the beams. There is a setting for and/or which requires both beams to be broken to alarm. All mine are set at both and highest sensitivity and I can leapard crawl under them.

This was found by chance. Wife isn't so impressed.

I've subsequently installed sonoff outdoor sensors as a backup. And they are much better at a fraction of the cost. Set them up to lights and app. Got them everywhere around the house. Hidden.
Have you got a link or model number for the outdoor sensors you are you using?

riscbroker

Expert Member
Good idea, I'd also like to know.
Could be these - I use the same PIRs but without the shield, I just sealed the lens area and put insulation tape over the battery door.

petum

After the install, (and loosing an arm and leg) I subsequently found out a very similar knockoff is available and apparently works even better at a fraction of the price. Unfortunately didn't get the brand.

Attached model and pic of smaller sonoff. Doing it again, I would rather put 20 sonoffs around. Allows you to specifically identify where is movement, rather then just a side of the house. I've installed the sonoffs in every corner etc which are the weak spots. If I could, I would hook it up to home/pie/assistant. I've seen you can have a speaker saying "movement in garage"
a1d023ab2bd8bb2ca57975be49dafdf2.jpg
c1cd504ab63f1be7a7f1fa8c32b0a13c.jpg
36d3862db294631c71f8b93a7c677dc3.jpg

petum

Could be these - I use the same PIRs but without the shield, I just sealed the lens area and put insulation tape over the battery door.

That's them. R1400 for 5 of them.. Bargain.

riscbroker

Expert Member
Attached model and pic of smaller sonoff. Doing it again, I would rather put 20 sonoffs around. Allows you to specifically identify where is movement, rather then just a side of the house. I've installed the sonoffs in every corner etc which are the weak spots. If I could, I would hook it up to home/pie/assistant. I've seen you can have a speaker saying "movement in garage"
I have these linked to Home Assistant, get custom notifications via Telegram and/or voice announcement via Google Mini.

ebendl

Expert Member
Problem with the 433Mhz PIR is that their communication is completely insecure.

It doesn't use rolling codes or any encryption. I can take a Sonoff Bridge, stand outside your house for a short time, learn every code (as you trigger the PIRS) and then in the middle of the night start transmitting the codes again and again (creating false alarms) until you get sick and tired and disable the whole system.

jdido87

Expert Member
@jdido87

Assume cameras working?
Hey

Sorry, I only see this now. Yes they are working perfectly thanks.

I want to get another 2 at least. My boundary walls a rather high so I want to get some to cover the road. That said I don't want to mount the cameras on poles.

Saba'a

Executive Member
Hey

Sorry, I only see this now. Yes they are working perfectly thanks.

I want to get another 2 at least. My boundary walls a rather high so I want to get some to cover the road. That said I don't want to mount the cameras on poles.
Cool. At least 2 sellers of their RLC410A 5mps on MYBB if you looking for more.

Consider the RLC810As being 8mps.

I have 3 x RLC810As and although I will wait for the 12MP or RLC810As with zoom, the RLC810As have more definition.

Saba'a

Executive Member
Problem with the 433Mhz PIR is that their communication is completely insecure.

It doesn't use rolling codes or any encryption. I can take a Sonoff Bridge, stand outside your house for a short time, learn every code (as you trigger the PIRS) and then in the middle of the night start transmitting the codes again and again (creating false alarms) until you get sick and tired and disable the whole system.
Why I opted for Wave 2 receivers linked to my IDS for my Gate Motor.

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Cool. At least 2 sellers of their RLC410A 5mps on MYBB if you looking for more.

Consider the RLC810As being 8mps.

I have 3 x RLC810As and although I will wait for the 12MP or RLC810As with zoom, the RLC810As have more definition.
I'm looking for a new camera setup at my new place when we move in a few months.
If you were starting from scratch, what would you recommend?
it's double story so I can mount as high as I like but for obvious reasons don't want to go too high. I'm looking for human detection capabilities and alerts via web or GSM would be good. Ta!

syntax

Executive Member
I'm looking for a new camera setup at my new place when we move in a few months.
If you were starting from scratch, what would you recommend?
it's double story so I can mount as high as I like but for obvious reasons don't want to go too high. I'm looking for human detection capabilities and alerts via web or GSM would be good. Ta!

Also interested. Ive only just started looking into the home automation thing etc
I watched some reviews on the ezviz cw3 Pro which seemed positive but dont seem very well received here.

I have 3 dogs, one of them is quite large and I am worried about them setting off alerts. Otherwise I can use a motion sensor to trigger the camera if need be. Not sure whats the best way to go.

Any advice on door sensors would be great as well, bought a sonoff dw2 for testing, it lasted a week during which is was pretty good, but now after a power failure wont connect and even on reset just does nothing