Smart outdoor security cameras in SA?

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
Would below not work IF its 100mbps and not gbps devices? Thus wont work for my specific need but can be done?

"Use this combiner and splitter cable kit to connect 2x Power Over Ethernet 100Mb/s devices far away from a POE Switch but close to each other on ONE network cable."

This would work for 100mbps,which is more than enough for most usecases

Saba'a

Executive Member

Saba'a

Executive Member
The splitter explicitly lists Active POE so i'd wager that it does ;) (conversely I assume it doesn't do passive 12/24v POE)
Dunno if guy knows what he is saying in link but would make sense that passive poe will work on active poe switch?

A non-PoE deviced plugged into an active port is completely safe, nothing will happen to it because PoE won't turn on until the devices asks for it.

A non-PoE deviced plugged into an passive port is completely unsafe, it will likely be damaged and fried because it is not expecting the current.

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
Dunno if guy knows what he is saying in link but would make sense that passive poe will work on active poe switch?

A non-PoE deviced plugged into an active port is completely safe, nothing will happen to it because PoE won't turn on until the devices asks for it.

A non-PoE deviced plugged into an passive port is completely unsafe, it will likely be damaged and fried because it is not expecting the current.
This is a rabbit hole you might want to be careful going into,and the quick answer here is No - the switch must have both and a way to switch from one to the other

Passive POE has 2 wiring methods,and also polarity considerations as well as specific voltage (12-24v). Ubiquiti when they started did 24v Passive POE when Active was still a pipe dream. As tech matured they started supporting Active in the more Businessey units,and many of their Switches offer a toggle between one and the other as passive will damage anything not wired for it. Their current standard is Active POE with some of their switches and devices still supporting Passive backward-compatibly

Saba'a

Executive Member
This is a rabbit hole you might want to be careful going into,and the quick answer here is No - the switch must have both and a way to switch from one to the other

Passive POE has 2 wiring methods,and also polarity considerations as well as specific voltage (12-24v). Ubiquiti when they started did 24v Passive POE when Active was still a pipe dream. As tech matured they started supporting Active in the more Businessey units,and many of their Switches offer a toggle between one and the other as passive will damage anything not wired for it. Their current standard is Active POE with some of their switches and devices still supporting Passive backward-compatibly
Thanks

Better check my 2ndhand AC LRs x 2.

Assumed they 24V passive ****.

Saba'a

Executive Member
I see below one is active poe and other seems passive POE.
8a9920a1712e0ffec3b53ed1b3567dae.jpg
0b67b01ea34a24a4eb0f7f356abfbcad.jpg

furpile

Expert Member
I ordered 2 more camera's from Reolink, the RLC-420's were on sale for $42 each. As usual the DHL tracking was non-existent, they kept saying the parcel has not been handed over to them until I got an sms yesterday saying they need some more information for customs. And now their tracking shows it is in SA. I am not getting any email updates however, even though I asked for updates on the tracking website. The SMS has a link to delivery-dhl.co.za, is this the normal website to fill in your details?

furpile

Expert Member
I ordered 2 more camera's from Reolink, the RLC-420's were on sale for $42 each. As usual the DHL tracking was non-existent, they kept saying the parcel has not been handed over to them until I got an sms yesterday saying they need some more information for customs. And now their tracking shows it is in SA. I am not getting any email updates however, even though I asked for updates on the tracking website. The SMS has a link to delivery-dhl.co.za, is this the normal website to fill in your details?
I also see the ref number in the sms is not the same as the number that Reolink sent me on their tracking email? The original tracking number still shows:

Shipper has generated a shipment label, but the shipment has not yet been handed over to DHL​

But the number on the sms shows the tracking all the way from Hong Kong to JHB with my town as the destination. Do they change tracking numbers on deliveries?

Saba'a

Executive Member
Download dhl app and will show whats on way to you.

furpile

Expert Member
Download dhl app and will show whats on way to you.
Thanks, don't order often but will do it for the next one. Phoned the number (which Google shows as a DHL number) and the emailed me the required documents. R370 for DHL and customs for the 2 cameras. Should be here before Friday.

Saba'a

Executive Member
Thanks, don't order often but will do it for the next one. Phoned the number (which Google shows as a DHL number) and the emailed me the required documents. R370 for DHL and customs for the 2 cameras. Should be here before Friday.
Can do it for this one even. They will pick up its on its way to you.

Saba'a

Executive Member
Anybody know what below image means.

It appears during live view on reolink phone app of only one camera. Upper right corner. My right :). Other 2 x RLC810As dont have it.

Never seen it before and cannot trace it on reolink via my phone.
818602bbe526e024fc453d3094dd43ae.jpg

Last edited:

Saba'a

Executive Member
And tonight I don't see it? Just disappeared on its own.

Edit

Spoke too soon. Its showing again.

Last edited: