Telkom 512Kbps ADSL speed upgrades begin

Has your 512Kbps ADSL line been upgraded to 1Mbps?

• Yes

Votes: 31 58.5%
  • No

Votes: 22 41.5%

• Total voters

freeze

4 years waiting for a line install, 8 months waiting for wimax install... by the time i get it i will be dead and my grandchildren will be trying to get a line.
ROFL!!! Been waiting about 2 years myself. Telkom, do you have any plans to grow your infrastructure, are you looking for staff to manage and plan your capacity upgrades *raises hand*

louisvd

Well technically the 4mbps/10mbps line is only at a guaranteed speed of 1mbps -- ask any ISP when you are having speed troubles ...

But truly, the 384k needs upgrading. My dad is still on 384 - it suits his pocket - he doesn't even use 1 GB a month - but when I need to work on his PC to help him, the speed is unbearable. I agree with a previous poster ... as "broadband" 384k is embarrassing.

bazzathetwit

Your mom's and pop's don't need anything more than a 384k line so why upgrade them to anything more than that!!!
They normally only using it to view emails (jokes), so no problem :p

Bizkit87

Executive Member
i have a 4[10]mbps line from telkom, but i sync at 1024, that is all. can i "downgrade'', and will i then still receive the 1024?

IceDreama

i have a 4[10]mbps line from telkom, but i sync at 1024, that is all. can i "downgrade'', and will i then still receive the 1024?
Well depends if your exchange has been upgraded yet but when it is, you will sync at 1 Mbps again and save some money every month.

mayurh

Expert Member
hope mine gets upgraded.is there a way to check? besides the speed when downloading?

JHS7

Now Telkom should just reduce their price on the actual line too.. But thats just wishful thinking.

mayurh

Expert Member
Now Telkom should just reduce their price on the actual line too.. But thats just wishful thinking.

yip..i think if a customer has adsl. they shud not have to pay normal line rental too?what do you guys think?

IceDreama

hope mine gets upgraded.is there a way to check? besides the speed when downloading?
Check your router. If you go and check out the status of your broadband line, it will tell you the speed at which you are synched.

mayurh

Expert Member
thanks so much i will check that as soon as telkom fixes my line.its been dead since beggining of april..siigh

Check your router. If you go and check out the status of your broadband line, it will tell you the speed at which you are synched.

B16A_SKUNK2

LOL how does it cost Telkom more money between 384kb and 4meg it runs on the bladdy same network.

Do guys actually believe that the data does not pass through the same network LOL what do you think it takes to upgrade a clients line?

Would you believe me if I told you it's a simple bladdy tick box?

It's as simple as punching in the number to get to the relevant exchange the number belongs to untick 512kb and tick 1mg and then applying the changes at a certain time.

The can even check what speed the bladdy exchange is rated at which is not always accurate LOL mine was rated at 512 kb and they tried 4meg and it worked I was obviously close enough to the exchange.

Either way the software frontend they use then applies the changes if you then experience problems with the line after they upgraded you a tec is assigned and the test the best speed or max speed your line can stably run at.

And then charge you for a 4meg line that’s running at let’s say 2 meg as I’ve seen many users complain about.

Telkom sucks I am sorry the moment there’s a better solution out there I am getting it for now they can take my money LMFAO

IceDreama

LOL how does it cost Telkom more money between 384kb and 4meg it runs on the bladdy same network.
Wow. So if you run a car at 60 km/h and then at 200 km/h for the same length of time it's going to costs you exactly the same??? I mean, using your logic, all we are doing is flexing a small pedal.

Your point is seriously flawed dude.

Speedster

Honorary Master

Do guys actually believe that the data does not pass through the same network LOL what do you think it takes to upgrade a clients line?

Would you believe me if I told you it's a simple bladdy tick box?

It's as simple as punching in the number to get to the relevant exchange the number belongs to untick 512kb and tick 1mg and then applying the changes at a certain time.

The can even check what speed the bladdy exchange is rated at which is not always accurate LOL mine was rated at 512 kb and they tried 4meg and it worked I was obviously close enough to the exchange.

Either way the software frontend they use then applies the changes if you then experience problems with the line after they upgraded you a tec is assigned and the test the best speed or max speed your line can stably run at.

And then charge you for a 4meg line that’s running at let’s say 2 meg as I’ve seen many users complain about.

Telkom sucks I am sorry the moment there’s a better solution out there I am getting it for now they can take my money LMFAO
Have you ever heard the word "backhaul"?

Darkdog

Good move by Telkom , now what about uping the rest 4-10 and 10-20. Then you would see lots of happy people.

stroebs

Expert Member
Good move by Telkom , now what about uping the rest 4-10 and 10-20. Then you would see lots of happy people.
Not as easy as that. Your distance from the exchange and the age of your copper line dictates your line speed.

For instance, I am really close to the exchange but my lines on the estate I live on are so old, it's impossible to reach faster than 4096.

B16A_SKUNK2

Wow. So if you run a car at 60 km/h and then at 200 km/h for the same length of time it's going to costs you exactly the same??? I mean, using your logic, all we are doing is flexing a small pedal.

Your point is seriously flawed dude.
True my point might be flawed if the car that you speaking was exactly the same car but it’s not Telkom said they upgraded their network I am I the only one that saw all the commercials before the soccer world cup lol meaning there network should handle it with ease maybe they taking a step by step bases.
What about the users that’s paying a 4 meg line cost but is only getting a sync speed of 1meg ? how unfair would that be ? will they now pay a 512 kb lines cost seeing it’s going to be upgraded to 1meg anyway ?

K let’s put it this way they have upgraded their core network to run speeds up to 12 meg but they can't upgrade the 384 kb clients to 512 ? and don’t come and say there is way more 384kb users, has Telkom supplied a report on it yet ? no so nobody can say for sure.

If they really upgraded their network it should not feel anything in reality because the exchanges can handle the speeds already right? When I say this I mean 1meg 512 kb most of the exchanges should be able to handle.
I am I the only one that noticed that telkom went all quiet about upgrading the rest of the 4meg clients to 10 or 12 meg even 8 I wonder why is it because it's going to cost them to upgrade certain exchanges to adsl2 why don’t they release some sort of upgrading plan?
I reckon telkom is not so confident about their network period trails on 512 to 1 meg lines LMAO but they brag about 8 10 and 12 meg ?I think they should do another study and see how many users that has been upgraded to 1meg from 512kb exchanges support 10meg this will give us an indication if telkom will only be upgrading those exchanges running on metro ethernet users to 1meg or everyone just a simple check lol.
Personally i dont trust them they full of lies and empty promises.

MickeyD

RIP
True my point might be flawed if the car that you speaking was exactly the same car but it’s not Telkom said they upgraded their network I am I the only one that saw all the commercials before the soccer world cup lol meaning there network should handle it with ease maybe they taking a step by step bases.
What about the users that’s paying a 4 meg line cost but is only getting a sync speed of 1meg ? how unfair would that be ? will they now pay a 512 kb lines cost seeing it’s going to be upgraded to 1meg anyway ?

K let’s put it this way they have upgraded their core network to run speeds up to 12 meg but they can't upgrade the 384 kb clients to 512 ? and don’t come and say there is way more 384kb users, has Telkom supplied a report on it yet ? no so nobody can say for sure.

If they really upgraded their network it should not feel anything in reality because the exchanges can handle the speeds already right? When I say this I mean 1meg 512 kb most of the exchanges should be able to handle.
I am I the only one that noticed that telkom went all quiet about upgrading the rest of the 4meg clients to 10 or 12 meg even 8 I wonder why is it because it's going to cost them to upgrade certain exchanges to adsl2 why don’t they release some sort of upgrading plan?
I reckon telkom is not so confident about their network period trails on 512 to 1 meg lines LMAO but they brag about 8 10 and 12 meg ?I think they should do another study and see how many users that has been upgraded to 1meg from 512kb exchanges support 10meg this will give us an indication if telkom will only be upgrading those exchanges running on metro ethernet users to 1meg or everyone just a simple check lol.
Personally i dont trust them they full of lies and empty promises.
You need to separate the core network from the access network in order to justify your arguments.

B16A_SKUNK2

1.Posted: 16 May 11

Breaking News - 512k to 1024k ADSL line upgrades
Telkom will upgrade your 512k ADSL line to 1024k if your Telkom Exchange supports it – at no extra cost to you! To take advantage of your new line speed, upgrade to a 1024k Uncapped account on any day of the month. For those who don’t have an ADSL line with Axxess, or have a 384k line, move/upgrade your line to 1024k for only R289 per month.

:D:D:D just incase everyone has not been upgraded yet my isp always plays open cards hehe