Telkom ADSL wholesale under fire

kaspaas

Expert Member
Very interesting indeed.

Hats of to the guys who manages to compete against Telkom under these conditions!

ajax

Executive Member
Telkom should never have been allowed to become this big - they can keep throwing their million dollar lawyers at any problems they encounter legal wise in ripping us off further.

Juice

Expert Member
Telkom argued that the jurisdiction of competition authorities was subordinate to ICASA.

At an ICASA ADSL hearing Vincent Maleka, the legal council leading the Telkom panel, explicitly stated that the Competition Commission was the right body to address “competition” related issues and not ICASA.

That's a bit of a contradiction there. Looks like they play who-ever they're talking to at the time. When it's ICASA, suddenly the CC is the right body; and when it's the CC, suddenly ICASA is the right body. Bastards. Luckily the ECA amendment will sort this kind of nonsense out. Telkom's Doomsday clock is ticking...

pkid

Expert Member
Well I guess that competing with Telkom has made the ISPs who survive as tough as nails. I pity Telkom...I would not want to compete against out ISPs. If you can survive in this climate my hats off to you!

geoffr

Telecoms Expert
That's a bit of a contradiction there. Looks like they play who-ever they're talking to at the time. When it's ICASA, suddenly the CC is the right body; and when it's the CC, suddenly ICASA is the right body. Bastards. Luckily the ECA amendment will sort this kind of nonsense out. Telkom's Doomsday clock is ticking...

It's called "forum-shopping" - when pulled up before one forum, they play the card that it is the wrong forum, or they will try to be heard in the forum where they expect to be most likely to get away without any finding against them. Telkom has been using this tactic for years....

aadil-old

Banned
you can't kill demons, you have to exorcise them. Anyone got a spell to send this demonic scumbag to hell?

Eniigma

Expert Member
I have mixed feelings about this complaint. On the one hand I want Telkom to be nailed as much as possible but on the other, if I understand it all correctly it will "bad news" to a certain degree.

Telkom wholesale will start charging Telkom ISP the IPC costs and those "costs" will be passed on to Jonny Public. Basicly like everything Telkom related - we're damned if we do or damned if we don't.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
It's called "forum-shopping" - when pulled up before one forum, they play the card that it is the wrong forum, or they will try to be heard in the forum where they expect to be most likely to get away without any finding against them. Telkom has been using this tactic for years....
Indeed - They have even run into troubles with the CC about this behaviour. What amazes me is the bluntness about these tactics – ICASA and the CC should simply immediately dismiss such suggestions.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
They are - which is amazing considering the IPC costs.

Telkom love money.

I have mixed feelings about this complaint. On the one hand I want Telkom to be nailed as much as possible but on the other, if I understand it all correctly it will "bad news" to a certain degree.

Telkom wholesale will start charging Telkom ISP the IPC costs and those "costs" will be passed on to Jonny Public.

But then just move from telkom to another isp. The other isps' costs won't be increasing, but telkom's will.

pope24

Expert Member
The only way forward is for the competiton commission mercilessly punish Telkom for anti-competitive behavious and order them to institute cost based interconnect agreements.
They then need to ban IPCs completely and force Telkom to peer at cost with the other tier one ISPs.
Then we will have a even playing field.
They also need to force Telkom to account seperately for SAIX and TI and order an audit of Telkom's books for the lasy five years to check that it has not been engaging in further anti-competitive behaviour.
That would make them think twice before doing it again.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle

Telkom wholesale will start charging Telkom ISP the IPC costs and those "costs" will be passed on to Jonny Public. Basicly like everything Telkom related - we're damned if we do or damned if we don't.

or telkom could just reduce the per Gig prices across the board... as they were pre-2006. The only reason why Telkom increased those prices was to stop ISPs letting us have 30Gb a month accounts.