Telkom drops local ADSL pricing

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Let’s wait and see what Telkom may have in store when they file their new pricing. It has been a while since we have seen ADSL price cuts, and I think we may see some reductions this time around.

ic

White Walker [wearing a MyBroadband Jacket]
Super Moderator
Unrelated to the price reduction, but it would be brilliant if Telkodemonopolies could put a stop to all forms of its adverts & marketing when it is in a closed period - basically complete silence from Telkodemonopolies at least once a year would be excellent.

How is it that Local-Only ADSL from Internet Solutions is effectively resold at about ZAR7.00/GB, whereas Local-Only ADSL from SAIX has been charged at "R25.55 per GB since 1 February 2008", and now costs ZAR15/GB which is still more than double the cost of Local-Only ADSL from Internet Solutions?

Gatecrasher

Executive Member
It should never have been so high in the first place. While it is a welcome move in the right direction, it is still far too high. If they competed with IS at R130/30GB (R4.33 per gig) then I wouldn't have to shop around for local anymore. But it is still over 3x the price of IS local.

Better still would be an optional surcharge to their standard packages allowing for unlimited local.

Last edited:
No, the sign of things to come is what WILL happen the next time the bills arrive for EVERYONE who has gone over their limit. I suggest that from now on, telkom will charge everyone that goes over the 10/20/30 Gig free limit, not just those who "abuse" it.

smokey

Honorary Master
It's absolute bollocks is what it is... I mean if Axxess offers SAIX local-only for R10 a gig, then how on Earth can anyone even consider R15/Gig a "step in the right direction"... A step in the right direction would be R3-R5/Gig or at least a surcharge for unlimited local (as per Garyvdh's suggestion). This has no bearing on their international prices, I compare apples with apples thank you very much and their apples are dead rotten.:sick:

kner515

Price reduction is always good - only problem is I hardly use any local bandwith!! If only we had more local sites that support software updates / purchases (wouldn't www.steam.co.za be nice?) then this would be awesome and I would actually use it...

stormy

Oh by goodness, to you oh Telkom, THANK YOU very much....for nothing.
Die dear Telkom die.

froot

Honorary Master
I think Telkom is initiating the start of a drop in bandwidth prices here. It will take quite some time before all of the ISPs have followed suite, but given enough time it will happen.

Telkom said that TelkomInternet dropped the price of local bandwidth “to align with current market trends and also to stimulate demand for local bandwidth usage.”
Does Telkom have any idea how much local-only is used in a month? In the right environments there is quite a large demand for local bandwidth.
This price is competitive when compared to typical local-only bandwidth pricing like Web Africa’s R 19 per GB, but is still higher than price leaders like Axxess’ R 10 per GB.
They seem to be referring to the usage of SAIX here, as Web Africa charges R4.33 for local IS.

ads

Using everyone's favourite SEACOM logic: As far as I am aware, Telkom does not pay any local ISP for local bandwidth. Hence, all local bandwidth on Telkom should be free.

apogeeza

:eek: :eek: I am shocked. :eek: :eek:

This is so totally out of character for Telkom. I honestly thought they would hold out to the very last second before Seacom went live to drop prices anywhere near this amount.

:eek: :eek: OMG ... it's gonna rain small cats and dogs now ... :eek: :eek:

kaaskop

Expert Member
The only thing that counts for me is international. When I had telkom as my ISP i didnt get near the 30 Gig local at the end of the month anyway, but halfway during the month i had no international access.

donivon

To Telkom,

Drop international bandwidth prices first and don't waste our time with these kinds of announcements.

Odracir

Expert Member
What did you expect from Telkom, they are only doing this to keep their existing customers happy.