Telkom eSIM support launched

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Telkom launches eSIM support

Telkom Mobile launched eSIM support for its customers on Tuesday. For the launch phase, Telkom will only support eSIM enabled smartphones.

eSIM is a digital Subscriber Identification Module (SIM) that is built into devices and cannot be removed.

werfie

Expert Member
yep, would also like to know. I have a physical sim that I would like to convert to esim.

nadeem_k

Is there a Telkom rep on the forum? Telkom store and twitter accounts have no clue when I asked them...

Da Gmonsta

I have contacted the 180 call centre, they have no clue what I am talking about. Neither does the Telkom store near me. How do you do press releases, but no way to access what you are saying is possible????

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
I have contacted the 180 call centre, they have no clue what I am talking about. Neither does the Telkom store near me. How do you do press releases, but no way to access what you are saying is possible????
It seems the QR code is in the new sim pack, most likely will need a sim swap for existing cards.

Da Gmonsta

It seems the QR code is in the new sim pack, most likely will need a sim swap for existing cards.
That would make very little sense, as you are supposed to just be able to add on the eSim, whilst the normal SIM card is still active from what I understood. You can then just choose not to use the fixed SIM. I stand under correction, but that was how I understood it.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
That would make very little sense, as you are supposed to just be able to add on the eSim, whilst the normal SIM card is still active from what I understood. You can then just choose not to use the fixed SIM. I stand under correction, but that was how I understood it.
There’s another press release from ITWeb I think, where they explained the QR code would be in the new SIM card packs.

Leno

Expert Member
The only eSims that work like that are the ones specifically sold for watches etc, to share data, they are a linked sim

Your plan needs to support dual linked sims to be able to keep your physical sim

3Gee

Expert Member
Ported my TM physical sim to eSim. Process took less than 5 mins.
No issues to report

• Love
Reactions: Yuu

3Gee

Expert Member
Mind sharing process within the store?

Asked them to swop my physical sim number for eSim
Was handed a sealed card with a QR code , pin and puk numbers
Remove your existing TM before scanning the QR code
ID and proof of adress required

Pho3nix

The Legend
Asked them to swop my physical sim number for eSim
Was handed a sealed card with a QR code , pin and puk numbers
Remove your existing TM before scanning the QR code
ID and proof of adress required

Signal strength the same?

3Gee

Expert Member
Signal strength the same?

Exactly the same. Only option not available that I've noticed compared to the physical sim

The Sim options feature no longer appears. You could previously choose international roaming partners. Don't see that option with the eSim

Pho3nix

The Legend
Exactly the same. Only option not available that of noticed compared to the physical sim

The Sim options feature no longer appears. You could previously choose international roaming partners. Don't see that option with the eSim

Thanks for details around this. Might go get it sorted aswell ;)