Telkom LIT Android media box - Tips/Tricks/Apps thread

cpu.

Expert Member
i can only see 5 channels listed on dstv now. anyone else with similar?
Is that not your Recently Watched Channels?
Under the Live TV tab, All Channels is the full list. Mine is currently signed out so can't confirm.

milomak

Honorary Master
i gave them a call. they said they linked my profile.

logged out and backin and they were back.

IceQB

Expert Member
Might get a LiT box from friend for my sister to use. It's about 8 months old, Android 7. All info I have until I go check it out.
Will it be the same hardware as new purchase?
Will it be upgradable to Android 8?

Dolby

Honorary Master
Might get a LiT box from friend for my sister to use. It's about 8 months old, Android 7. All info I have until I go check it out.
Will it be the same hardware as new purchase?
Will it be upgradable to Android 8?
It should have been on Android 8 a while back already - have they tried the software update manually? Android 8 would have the Netflix support, so no side loading or mobile versions. Netflix will work on the TV interface and in UltraHD.

No hardware differences in terms of CPU or RAM or anything. The very early ones had no Bluetooth or 5Ghz, but that's almost 2 years back.
The remotes have also varied through all the versions ... from the first dongle 2.4Ghz through to IT through to Bluetooth with dedicated button.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
So it looks like I’m getting a LIT box for free. Earlier this year I got fibre from Telkom, and it turns out they give away free LIT boxes as a promo. I never received mine, so when I phoned them to query this last week they said they’d have one delivered to me. Yay for free stuff!

jimballs

Hi anyone else struggling with battery life on the included IR remote? My batteries lasts like two weeks. Is there any fix or another remote that will work on this device?
Yes me two you are lucky mine last a few days and I have recently bought some rechargeable
I presume it has something to do with the ir still being active and the pointer is still running perhaps!?

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
So it looks like I’m getting a LIT box for free. Earlier this year I got fibre from Telkom, and it turns out they give away free LIT boxes as a promo. I never received mine, so when I phoned them to query this last week they said they’d have one delivered to me. Yay for free stuff!
Ok, so here's a funny update to this. Just got the tracking number, and it seems that I'm getting my LIT box in a multiple of ... err ... omega days :D

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
LIT box arrived ... seems more modern packaging that one of the early generations I got a couple years ago. I see you gotta buy AAA batteries for the remote, ffs ... why can DStv get it right to supply batteries, but Telkom can't? Anyhoo, free is free :)

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Ok, so got around to setting up the LIT box tonight ... damn, it's come a long way since the first one! Such a slick Android TV onboarding process at the start (automatically importing Google account data + connecting to WiFi etc), and the remote has a built-in microphone now for Google Assistant.

System seems responsive enough too. About the only negative mark I can give it at the start is that Google Play doesn't have YouTube Music (they seem to be pushing Google Music instead) or the Reuters News app (which I had on the Roku). Both of those make me a sad panda.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
Anybody lose 5Ghz under wifi? I can only pick up 2.4ghz. All my other devices are finding 5. Did a reboot and still nothing

riscbroker

Expert Member
Ok, so got around to setting up the LIT box tonight ... damn, it's come a long way since the first one! Such a slick Android TV onboarding process at the start (automatically importing Google account data + connecting to WiFi etc), and the remote has a built-in microphone now for Google Assistant.

System seems responsive enough too. About the only negative mark I can give it at the start is that Google Play doesn't have YouTube Music (they seem to be pushing Google Music instead) or the Reuters News app (which I had on the Roku). Both of those make me a sad panda.
You can look for Sideload Launcher on the Google store, then apkmirror for Reuters and YouTube.

shearder

My buddy bought this yesteday! What's the difference between the B05 and this in hardware?

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
That is the new remote - if both have the same remote - then they are from current manufacture, and not an "old" one like mine, which does not have that nice fancy remote.

johnjm

Expert Member
Does one need to have a LIT device to utilise the LIT data? I notice on my cellphone I use it separately for streaming so surely it should work as usual?

Asking because I'm moving to LTE next month and it makes sense.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Does one need to have a LIT device to utilise the LIT data? I notice on my cellphone I use it separately for streaming so surely it should work as usual?

Asking because I'm moving to LTE next month and it makes sense.
LIT data is limited to a very low resolution, if you are using a LIT box, you are going to want to use 720p resolution at least. Which is going to eat your data fairly fast. You can cast your video from your phone to the LIT box tho, if you happy with that low resolution. If I remember properly.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Anybody lose 5Ghz under wifi? I can only pick up 2.4ghz. All my other devices are finding 5. Did a reboot and still nothing
My guess would be your router is 'auto' channels and hoping around like it should ... I suspect that it hopped to a channel that - for whatver reason - the LIT didn't see. If so, it's temporary until it hops back to another channel. Or you can manually select a 5ghz channel on your router