Telkom LIT Android media box - Tips/Tricks/Apps thread

AdrianH

Expert Member
Anybody else been struggling with buffering on DSTV Now the last few weeks on the LIT?

cenredash

Expert Member
Thank you very much. Unfortunately, the device is not recognized on PC (no eligible device) ... so, tough luck :cautious:. Strange enough, I cannot find ES File Explorer as a valid app to install on the box (on PC, the device is also grayed out).

I've seen a question asked few month back about apps currently used but from that list there are quite a few that I cannot find in the Google Play list. Also, I've installed an app last week, which I then deleted and now I cannot find that app in the list any longer. It is possible that an update on the LIT made the device incompatible with some apps on Google Play?
Just wanted to comment about the es file explorer issue. If you Google it you will see that there was some security exploit issue with the app. That's why it was removed from the google play store.

Scorilo33

Just wanted to comment about the es file explorer issue. If you Google it you will see that there was some security exploit issue with the app. That's why it was removed from the google play store.
Thank you. I'm quite new to android TV boxes but that's no reason to forget that Google is 'man's best friend' :rolleyes:. If I'm not asking too much, which are (some) of the most used or useful apps to have, these days?

AdrianH

Expert Member
Thank you. I'm quite new to android TV boxes but that's no reason to forget that Google is 'man's best friend' :rolleyes:. If I'm not asking too much, which are (some) of the most used or useful apps to have, these days?
I use

Solid Explorer
DSTV Now
Netflix
Archos Player
Youtube
TuneIn

And then of course, vast Google Music from my phone to the LIT

Hi,

I'm looking to get one for my parents. Is Netflix sorted now on this box, or must I still sideload it?
Does it work with sideloaded apps? I tried it on a Skyworth box, but the Netflix app blocks the use once inside the app.

Thanks in advance.

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
Hi,

I'm looking to get one for my parents. Is Netflix sorted now on this box, or must I still sideload it?
Does it work with sideloaded apps? I tried it on a Skyworth box, but the Netflix app blocks the use once inside the app.

Thanks in advance.
Netflix now works perfectly. 4K etc etc.
And yes sideloading still works but hardly a use to sideload anything nowadays.

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
Xplor (file explorer - I love the function to connect my Google Drive cloud account to this app which then appears as a normal folder - makes it easy to share content from my phone to Litboxes. You can also connect your Dropbox account and SAMBA/UPnP home network folder/drive.
Netflix (Play store)
DSTV Now (Play store)
Showmax (Play store)
MX Player (Play store)
Morpheus (sideload)
BEE TV (sideload)
Mobdro (sideload)
YouTube - duh!
Spotify (sideload) - although Google assistant can stream directly from cloud without having to have to install the actual app
TV Mucho (Play store) - free worldcup rugby! *hint hint*

saleemc

Hi Everyone. I have recently started using the Telkom Lit Box. Does anyone know how to enable downloads for movies or series on DSTV now. On the tablet, it allows you to download a show and watch later. I would like to be able to do the same on the LIT box due to the inconsistent bandwidth in my area.

cpu.

Expert Member
Hi Everyone. I have recently started using the Telkom Lit Box. Does anyone know how to enable downloads for movies or series on DSTV now. On the tablet, it allows you to download a show and watch later. I would like to be able to do the same on the LIT box due to the inconsistent bandwidth in my area.
With the Lit you would have a better chance to expand storage space to allow downloading, but the answer remain the same as in the Xiaomi Mi Box thread.

saleemc

With the Lit you would have a better chance to expand storage space to allow downloading, but the answer remain the same as in the Xiaomi Mi Box thread.
Is there any way to use an apk version of the app that allows downloads ?

Hemps

Honorary Master
Are there no online stores that sell this device, do I have to go in store?
Guessing I should phone first to check if they have stock?

cpu.

Expert Member
Are there no online stores that sell this device, do I have to go in store?
Guessing I should phone first to check if they have stock?
Checking stock before you go is a good idea.

namzsteve

Expert Member
Netflix now works perfectly. 4K etc etc.
And yes sideloading still works but hardly a use to sideload anything nowadays.
Does it work on all the LIT boxes, or maybe just the newer models?
Thinking of picking up one for a friend

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
If there is one thing about the Litbox I love over the MiBox, is the ability to use an SD card as device internal storage.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
Add SD card, then go to settings, storage, and change it to use the SD card as internal storage..

namzsteve

Expert Member
I picked up a LIT for a friend a few days back. We set it up yesterday and noticed Netflix will only stream up to 1080p @ 4300kbps when we checked on the Netflix test patterns, it even takes forever to get to 4300kbps both on wifi or ethernet, his TV's netflix streams 4k just fine.

A speed test on his internet returns:
Ping: 13ms
Down: 78.89Mbps
Up: 23.74Mbps

Funny thing youtube streams perfectly in 4k but Netflix won't. Any one experienced this?