Telkom LIT Android media box - Tips/Tricks/Apps thread

Jettafreak

I picked up a LIT for a friend a few days back. We set it up yesterday and noticed Netflix will only stream up to 1080p @ 4300kbps when we checked on the Netflix test patterns, it even takes forever to get to 4300kbps both on wifi or ethernet, his TV's netflix streams 4k just fine.

A speed test on his internet returns:
Ping: 13ms
Down: 78.89Mbps
Up: 23.74Mbps

Funny thing youtube streams perfectly in 4k but Netflix won't. Any one experienced this?
Is he on the Netflix Premium plan?

Dolby

Honorary Master
Yeah, we share an account.
I think there maybe be something on Netflix's side, noticed my Mi box can't reach 4k lately. Goes back and forth between 1080p and 2k
I'd usually say that the issue is a non-HDMI 2.0 port on the TV ... but I do find it odd that YouTube is definitely UHD ?
You're 100% sure about the YouTube?

I've seen it often that a TV will have 2 x HDMI 1.4 and 2 x HDMI 2.0 - and it's plugged into an HDMI 1.4
Also, with some Samsungs, you also need to set the UHD ports.

namzsteve

Expert Member
I'd usually say that the issue is a non-HDMI 2.0 port on the TV ... but I do find it odd that YouTube is definitely UHD ?
You're 100% sure about the YouTube?

I've seen it often that a TV will have 2 x HDMI 1.4 and 2 x HDMI 2.0 - and it's plugged into an HDMI 1.4
Also, with some Samsungs, you also need to set the UHD ports.
100% the LIT box will stream youtube 2160p with no issue, I think he's tv has 4 HDMI ports, soundbar is on the HDMI 2 arc, LIT box is on HDMI 1, surely those are HDMI 2.0? Another thing is the TV does notify that the LIT box is sending a 2160p 60hz signal. Very puzzled.

Dolby

Honorary Master
100% the LIT box will stream youtube 2160p with no issue, I think he's tv has 4 HDMI ports, soundbar is on the HDMI 2 arc, LIT box is on HDMI 1, surely those are HDMI 2.0? Another thing is the TV does notify that the LIT box is sending a 2160p 60hz signal. Very puzzled.
Then I have zero idea - sorry

Damac10

Please advise...Got one today..Lit started update from Android 7 to 8. Light went red like box sleeping. Basically bricked itself. How to hard reset? Power light red. Ir flickers for remote but does nothing.

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
Please advise...Got one today..Lit started update from Android 7 to 8. Light went red like box sleeping. Basically bricked itself. How to hard reset? Power light red. Ir flickers for remote but does nothing.
Sounds like you bought a second hand model!? New ones sold ship with Android 8. Ask @Nology to assist perhaps.

Damac10

Its a older model but was not used. Many people have complaints about boxes bricking with update but no concrete information regarding fix except take it to Nology...

deesef

Pull out the power at the wall. Wait 2 minutes then try to reboot the box.

Damac10

Its definitely bricked itself. Removing power for 2 min or 30 min makes no difference. When you put power the lights red. Does not turn blue. Pressing remote button shows ir flash but does nothing. Reset button does nothing . Was hoping someone knew combination of buttons to press to access boot loader could try factory reset or clear cache data etc..

Last edited:

IceQB

Expert Member
The Google assistant keeps on saying "sorry I can't do that on this device"
Just asked it to play some music.
Should you change region?
Also where do you set region settings?

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Its definitely bricked itself. Removing power for 2 min or 30 min makes no difference. When you put power the lights red. Does not turn blue. Pressing remote button shows ir flash but does nothing. Reset button does nothing . Was hoping someone knew combination of buttons to press to access boot loader could try factory reset or clear cache data etc..
Factory reset can be achieved using button at back, press and hold while booting - tho I doudt it will fix your situation - it might be worth a try

namzsteve

Expert Member
Factory reset can be achieved using button at back, press and hold while booting - tho I doudt it will fix your situation - it might be worth a try
I've noticed a few people complaining about updates on previous models. Could be something to do with the download itself.
In the car of @Damac10, I'm sure it's over. Apparently if the device is stuck on the red light then it's fcuked, no coming back from that. If it does blue, theres at least some life but the hard reset method doesn't work. I'm sure if one obtains the Telkom lit rom and a firmware burning tool this could be an easy fix. Nology will help for free as far as I know

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
I've noticed a few people complaining about updates on previous models. Could be something to do with the download itself.
In the car of @Damac10, I'm sure it's over. Apparently if the device is stuck on the red light then it's fcuked, no coming back from that. If it does blue, theres at least some life but the hard reset method doesn't work. I'm sure if one obtains the Telkom lit rom and a firmware burning tool this could be an easy fix. Nology will help for free as far as I know
Get the box to Nology, and they can fix, if that is too much trouble, then chuck and buy a new box. I agree the update on the LIT box is kinda different and can be error prone, but I did 3 boxes with out any issues.

Yo can also mail it here and I will courier it to Nology, as I am looking to get another. :) :)

Reactions: Yuu

Damac10

Get the box to Nology, and they can fix, if that is too much trouble, then chuck and buy a new box. I agree the update on the LIT box is kinda different and can be error prone, but I did 3 boxes with out any issues.

Yo can also mail it here and I will courier it to Nology, as I am looking to get another. :) :)
Thanks mate. I think I am close to them in Johannesburg. Waiting for response and address. Take it in Monday hopefully. The lack of a ROM download makes this issue a headache as they don't share it.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Thanks mate. I think I am close to them in Johannesburg. Waiting for response and address. Take it in Monday hopefully. The lack of a ROM download makes this issue a headache as they don't share it.
They don't share it due to copyright and licensing issues - you are closer than I am, Bloemfontein is in the middle of nowhere

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
The Google assistant keeps on saying "sorry I can't do that on this device"
Just asked it to play some music.
Should you change region?
Also where do you set region settings?
It will only play if you have a Google Music account or Spotify account. And it will need to be registered /linked in your Google Home app on your phone.

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
But on Litbox you CAN ask it to play song X on YouTube which should work..

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
Also for maximum compatibility with Google assistant features change device and Google main account language to US ENGLISH.