The 2019 Weight Loss Thread

Nobody Important

Executive Member
89kg. :thumbsdown:

I tried intermittent fasting but (as is usual with me) have not been very disciplined. The hunger pangs get a bit too strong after a while. On the days that I did carry it through, I felt very good (light) and drank lots of water. Now I feel bloated though, perhaps its because of drinking so much water? (wishful thinking)?

The long-walk on the beach everyday goal (worked out to approx 10000 steps) has also fallen through but I will try try and try again. So I am adjusting the goal downward this week to make it more achievable and then gradually increase it week by week thereafter. 5000 steps per day.

According to my calculations I need to lose 0.42kg per week going forward to make my goal weight of 70kg by year-end. I'm using a cheap-line analogue scale (no decimals) so if it shows a drop of 1kg every 2nd week, I'll be happy.

Good luck to me. :oops:

Last edited:

Snyper564

Executive Member
Starting weight 104kg
Week 2 weight 102kg
Week 3 weight 102kg
Week 4 weight 101.5kg
Week 5 weight 101kg (current)
Total Loss 3kg

Dillan (son) Starting weight 69kg
Week 1 weight 67kg
Week 2 weight 66kg
Week 3 weight 65kg

My weight is trickling down at a very slow pace. I have <2 weeks to get into the 90s.

My whole family lost some weight the last month.

8 yr old daughter down 1kg (no lchf)
17yr old son down 2kg (no lchf)
I'm down 3kg (lchf)
Wife is down 3.5kg (lchf)
12yr old son down 4kg (lchf)

This shows that only slight changes to our suppers had an impact. Even for our 2 kids that still takes bread to school for lunches.
The key with food changes, I don't believe in diets but everything in moderation. Cut those sugars dump the sweets and chips etc. I stick to clean eating avoiding processed foods and sticking to making everything from scratch if possible. Stick to the whole foods, whole wheat etc.

Takes a while to get used to but your body will thank you!

LlamaParty

I'm curious to know, how many people on this thread are using a meal tracker like MyFitnessPal?

I think a lot of people tend to get hung up on what they ate, and whether or not they went for a run or ate between a certain time of the day etc. etc but don't end up actually tracking their calories in/ calories out. Of course eating healthy and exercise are important, but you're not going to lose weight without a calorie deficit, and it's much harder to create a calorie deficit through exercise than it is by just eating less.

Different stroked for different folks, but that's what I've found works well for me.

Fcon_Vpro

Expert Member
I'm curious to know, how many people on this thread are using a meal tracker like MyFitnessPal?

I think a lot of people tend to get hung up on what they ate, and whether or not they went for a run or ate between a certain time of the day etc. etc but don't end up actually tracking their calories in/ calories out. Of course eating healthy and exercise are important, but you're not going to lose weight without a calorie deficit, and it's much harder to create a calorie deficit through exercise than it is by just eating less.

Different stroked for different folks, but that's what I've found works well for me.
I used to religiously track on myfitnesspal when I tried to eat different looking meals every day.
Now I eat a lot of similar sized and looking meals multiple times a day, so I dont track because I know i keep within my calorie range eating this way.
I do use myfitnesspal to track my weight every week. Forgot to weigh this morning so ill do it tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

Anti-Chris

I am using Fatsecret and it has really helped me to lose weight, sometimes you think you had too little to eat, but it ends up being alot of calories. I log everything. I do 2 "high calorie" (+-2000) days in a week and keep the rest of the days at around 1000.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
so last week

Mon - 20 min cycle followed by abs and arms
Tue - 45 min cycle
Wed - 20 min cycle followed by back and shoulder
Thur - 45 min cycle
Fri - 20 min cycle followed by legs
Sat - park run
Sun - day off

Havent eaten over 2000 calories the entire week and hit 10000 steps for 6 days.

went from 83.7 - 84kg's grrr

LlamaParty

I am using Fatsecret and it has really helped me to lose weight, sometimes you think you had too little to eat, but it ends up being alot of calories. I log everything. I do 2 "high calorie" (+-2000) days in a week and keep the rest of the days at around 1000.

Very true! I was surprised how easy it is to eat over a 1000 calories in 1 meal without realizing, especially when eating out. Oh this muesli, fruit and yogurt breakfast from Mug and Bean looks healthy? Nope. 750 kcal :eek:

Do you find splitting your calories like that easier than having a flat amount a day? Although that works out to like 1300 kcal a day, which seems very low for the average adult male. I like this calculator for a good baseline: https://www.freedieting.com/calorie-calculator

Anti-Chris

Very true! I was surprised how easy it is to eat over a 1000 calories in 1 meal without realizing, especially when eating out. Oh this muesli, fruit and yogurt breakfast from Mug and Bean looks healthy? Nope. 750 kcal :eek:

Do you find splitting your calories like that easier than having a flat amount a day? Although that works out to like 1300 kcal a day, which seems very low for the average adult male. I like this calculator for a good baseline: https://www.freedieting.com/calorie-calculator
I am doing a very low calorie diet. On normal days it is less that 1000 a day.
Fairly easy for me to have a flat amount a day, since my breakfast (Large Granny Smith Apple + Coffee with milk and sugar) and lunch (two hard boiled eggs) stays the same Monday to Friday. That is about 306 calories in total, which leaves me with about 700 calories for dinner. We cook our own meals, which normally consists of a piece of meat, large salad, vegetables and Mushrooms. That usually equates to about 500 - 600 calories, depending on type of meat.

Anti-Chris

so last week

Mon - 20 min cycle followed by abs and arms
Tue - 45 min cycle
Wed - 20 min cycle followed by back and shoulder
Thur - 45 min cycle
Fri - 20 min cycle followed by legs
Sat - park run
Sun - day off

Havent eaten over 2000 calories the entire week and hit 10000 steps for 6 days.

went from 83.7 - 84kg's grrr
You might have had fat loss and muscle gain though?

Kosmik

Honorary Master
meep, no change, 93kg, looked good for a while then crept back.

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
63.3kg this morning. Ate salty foods yesterday so water retention I'd say. I was 62.8kg Sunday morning.

Edit: 62.2kg Tuesday morning... Frigging Sunday salty foods!

Last edited:

InvisibleJim

Expert Member

One of the things I like about Paleo is that I don't have to count calories. In my diet what I eat is the most important principle so I haven't ever felt the need to use a food app. Paleo (and I'm sure this is true of many other diets also) does play quite nicely though with a number of other approaches to diet so you can practice IF, Keto, mindfulness etc. to achieve specific goals and calorie counting, although not required, wouldn't be incompatible.

I have also read a few people recently claiming that all diets are basically inducing a calorie defecit and dismissing ideas like fat adaptation, ketosis etc. In my diet there may be something in this as it does tend to steer you away from the most calorific foods somewhat